Axis and Allies Europe 1940 - Strategies

• @450thMSAF:

if i play axis i would bank subs 5 per SZ up against all borders of the usa so there fleet would have to wiat to get to all of the axis countries therefore making it harder

“all” borders… meaning 2 seazones  :-D

A few reality checks:

1. USA will be building fleet before you get there. Since (some of) your subs can arrive at turn 3 at the soonest i’m afraid USA will have more than suffficient counter buys, including at least 1 destroyer they already have, and fodder subs, among other fleet. Your subs will be sitting… well… diving ducks.
    And as it has been said above, USA will need to build up a fleet no matter if you send subs their way or not.

2. these build subs (see 1), which will also serve well later on (so you didn’t really make them buy useless things).
    You cannot overlook 10 subs coming your way, so be sure they will be prepared for it.

3. this will cost you 60 IPC’s while you probably cannot even convoy raid SZ101, which leaves SZ89, for a glorious 3 IPC. Also, USA will likely smile if you bring all those IPC’s to their doorstep (i would, kinda evil grin). Russia will probably smile as well.

To sum it up: i wouldn’t recommend doing this.

because of my preparing time and set up naval bases your subs have 3 spaces to move to annoy your enemy

Set up naval bases? what exactly are you talking about?

• put naval bases arouund the map

• Okay.  :roll:

• So you get the Axis-discount?  :-D

• very funny.

• '14

anyone know of the difference’s between the Europe 1940 and the 2nd edition other than noot being able to purchase AA guns in the second edition?

• @wartorn:

anyone know of the difference’s between the Europe 1940 and the 2nd edition other than noot being able to purchase AA guns in the second edition?

You must have misunderstood something. Of course you can purchase AA guns in 2nd Edition. The concept of AA guns in 2nd edition of course differs from the first edition.

• '14

OOB, AA guns didnt come with my game (nor did it come with the cardboard/paper ones like in the 1st edition) Rules say that they are automatically on any industrial complex placed on the board (whether from the start, or built at a later time), but you cant purchase and place them like other units, much like in prior A&A versions. They aren’t even under the “Unit Profiles” pages of the rule book. Instead there are AntiAircraft Artillery (AAA) that only get to fire once when defending a space that is being attacked. Each AAA rolls a max of 3 die, or 1 dice for each attacking aircraft (which ever is less) before the conduct combat phase (any aircraft hit must be removed immediately and can not take part in the combat phases to follow). Not like the prior AA guns that get to fire 1 dice for each enemy planes that were simply flying through zone containing an AA.

Am I mistaken?

And sorry that my post is misplaced. I do realize now that this is a Strategies topic

• @wartorn:

OOB, AA guns didnt come with my game (nor did it come with the cardboard/paper ones like in the 1st edition) Rules say that they are automatically on any industrial complex placed on the board (whether from the start, or built at a later time), but you cant purchase and place them like other units, much like in prior A&A versions. They aren’t even under the “Unit Profiles” pages of the rule book. Instead there are AntiAircraft Artillery (AAA) that only get to fire once when defending a space that is being attacked. Each AAA rolls a max of 3 die, or 1 dice for each attacking aircraft (which ever is less) before the conduct combat phase (any aircraft hit must be removed immediately and can not take part in the combat phases to follow). Not like the prior AA guns that get to fire 1 dice for each enemy planes that were simply flying through zone containing an AA.

Am I mistaken?

No, you are perfectly right. I did not realize that you differ AA-guns from AA-artillery in your posting before. I summarized them all to AA-guns.
    :-)

• In 1940 2nd edition Germany has a larger force near the eastern front. A strategy that has worked for me resulting in victory was first turn building 7 artillery on Berlin. You take France first turn while moving the rest of your forces to the eastern front. 2nd turn build as many tanks as possible and put them on Germany. On turn 3 you have your huge amounts of infantry paired up with your 7 extra artillery you got first turn and you move all your units on your border to eastern Poland and take Belorussia as well with a few mech or tanks. At the point the Russian player doesn’t know if you are going to assault Leningrad or stalingrad so he divides his forces to try to hold both. He will likely be placing 3 infantry on Ukraine, Stalingrad and Leningrad every turn but your target is in fact Moscow. With this massive blob of 20+ infantry, 20+ artillery, and 15+ tanks, the Russian player won’t have enough turns to defend against it. His army will be too far away at Ukraine and Leningrad to defend Moscow. If any of there larger armies get in your way, your massive blob can wipe it out in the 1st or 2nd round of combat while taking minimum loses. Once you have Moscow the axis basically win because one of the main allied powers is defeated. The Russians will have a tough time retaking there capital too seeing as they have mainly infantry with an attack of 1. The key to this is surprise and making sure all your forces attack Moscow at the same time. By turn 6 you should have Moscow in your hands. In case you are wondering about defending Germany’s own borders, just remember you are building new units each turn that can mop up any stray soviet troops. Like I said, this strategy usually doesn’t work twice against the same person because he will know to pull back his troops to defend Moscow when he sees the unstoppable blob brewing.

• So I have only played this game once (played '41 a handful of times), and I was playing someone who was also playing her first time on '40 (but also had played '41).  Now, I certainly do not think to be an A&A genius, but my strategy in this game has not been discussed, so I wonder what is wrong with it, and/or how it could be easily countered by someone with more experience.

As the Allies, I was getting it handed to me in Russia (she was a little too aggressive and sent much of her Eastern defense to support in Russia, when eventually led to her getting taken by the US/UK from behind, but here nor there).  I decided to take some infantry from the IC I had built in Egypt up through the Med to take Greece (+4 INF, +2 IPC), take Albania (+1 IPC), and take Yugoslavia (+5 INF, +2 IPC), which put me +9 INF/+5 IPC, on the front door of Italy, and behind the German advance, effectively creating a second front of the second front.

Thoughts?

• each nation has its own aa gun in its units

• playing Germany i always start with building a navy with a variety of ships. I do this for two reasons: 1: it sets the allies invasion of Europe back a few turns which gives you a better chance at Russia. With control of the atlantic you can free some of the troops guarding Europe to push harder at Russia. 2: It allows you to hit convoys.

While building the navy you have to be careful however, if you try to hold control of the Atlantic too long and don’t shift your focus to Russia then you run the risk of being invaded by Russia. The navy is merely to delay the inevitable invasion of Europe. I have used this many times and if done right, I have played a total victory game against experienced players, and beat the Allies. If done right, and your timing is excellent, then not even America can save the Allies, I have even successfully invaded the United States. (yes it was a long, difficult war)

The German navy works great, but it has to be balanced with a timely shift to land forces and a taking of Moscow.

• OK.  So I’m about 30 games into it.  Played Europe stand-alone, then Pacific,  then Global.  Here are a few key observations in regards to an overall strategy…by country

GER:
    1.  NEVER lose Norway.  Allies bomb your factories relentlessly from there, and it’s game over for Axis
        a.  Turn 1:  send a tank, inf, and 2 or 3 fighters.  That’s the tax,  never move them from there
        b.  If all is going well for Italy in the Med Sea,  you can also build airfield in Norway for scramblings, and reaching far into northern Russian when the time comes
    2.  Turn 1 and every turn you can,  bomb UK factories…all the time.
    3.  Don’t bother invading UK…never seems to work, the cost is too high
    4.  Available air units should get rid of French ships in Southern France
    5.  Take out the French cruiser in Gilbraltar, with subs

ITALY:
    1. There are only 2 targets that matter for Italy:  Gibraltar and Egypt.  Everything else is a waste of precious IPCs.  Go with what is possible NOW,  don’t wait
        a.  Take Gilbraltar first.  It’s easy,  and no counter attacks possible if GER subs have taken out Cruiser and remain in sea zone blocking the Med Sea
        b.  Take Alexander with ALL available land units on 1st turn (takes precious bonus points away from UK)
        c.  Move ALL available Air units to Alexander or Gilbraltar as soon as possible (Alexander on 1st Turn)

2. Hold the line…  if UK builds up in South Afrika,  add Air Units to Egypt.  If not,  add all you can to Gilbraltar.

FRANCE:
    1. The only unit that matters is your inf in west Africa.  Put it on a UK transport,  take Brazil and startup a new factory…you will be relevant on turn 5…sorry, but that’s all they can do.

UK.
    1.  DO NOT commit Med Fleet on turn 1…  back up (through Suez), wait a turn.
    2.  Hold Egypt.  Clear out inner Africa with new troops from South Africa
    4.  Get the Middle East.  Move from India…
    5.  UK Navy will not win the war…get the basics to thwart Subs…but that’s it.
    6.  UK Air Force WILL win the war.  Stack up,  Intercept, Scramble, but keep them at home…wait for US
    7.  Norway is your ultimate target

US
    1.  US needs to be relevant as quickly as possible.  So get busy buying Strategic Bombers asap.  You’ll knock off GER factories by turn 5.
    2.  US Should take Norway…build Air Field first (to support bombings of GER lands,  and to defend)
    3.  Put an industry and Port next…you pull that off, you win
    4.  US NAVY is Med Sea…Gilbraltar is ke y.  You can attack anywhere (almost) on Europe Coast or Italy from there…  The Port there will allow you to move between ‘theaters’ quickly (between Norway and Gilbraltar

Russian
    1.  Stack in Leningrad and in Ukraine, leaving a single inf on other font line territories.  You need to position troops for counter-attack
      a.  first 2 turns, build ‘complimentary’ units  (Artillery for your units,  tactical fighters to pair with tanks/fighters)
      b.  Pull everything back… you have more troops then you think.  You’ll get strong quickly if you consolidate everything in Leningrad and Ukraine.
    2.  All this leads to gaping hole in the middle of russia… if GER takes the bait and attacks through the gap towards Moscow,  GER will have lost…  Russia can counter-attack in the middle from both massed up areas.  GER will need to leave too many units behind to cover  it’s north and south flanks.
    3.  Remember,  in the end,  Russia only has 4 territories worth holding… play it that way.

• @Gargantua:

Why would anyone - EVER - want to “defend the coast” in Axis and Allies?

I mean that’s a lovely notion and all, but an absolute waste of IPC’s.

Breaking the first wave.  :-)

• @Calpandrid:

OK.  So I’m about 30 games into it.  Played Europe stand-alone, then Pacific,  then Global.   Here are a few key observations in regards to an overall strategy…by country

GER:
    1.  NEVER lose Norway.  Allies bomb your factories relentlessly from there, and it’s game over for Axis
        a.  Turn 1:  send a tank, inf, and 2 or 3 fighters.  That’s the tax,  never move them from there
        b.  If all is going well for Italy in the Med Sea,  you can also build airfield in Norway for scramblings, and reaching far into northern Russian when the time comes

ITALY:
    1. There are only 2 targets that matter for Italy:  Gibraltar and Egypt.  Everything else is a waste of precious IPCs.  Go with what is possible NOW,  don’t wait
        a.  Take Gilbraltar first.  It’s easy,  and no counter attacks possible if GER subs have taken out Cruiser and remain in sea zone blocking the Med Sea
        b.  Take Alexander with ALL available land units on 1st turn (takes precious bonus points away from UK)
        c.  Move ALL available Air units to Alexander or Gilbraltar as soon as possible (Alexander on 1st Turn)

2. Hold the line…  if UK builds up in South Afrika,  add Air Units to Egypt.   If not,  add all you can to Gilbraltar.

FRANCE:
    1. The only unit that matters is your inf in west Africa.   Put it on a UK transport,  take Brazil and startup a new factory…you will be relevant on turn 5…sorry, but that’s all they can do.

UK.
    2.  Hold Egypt.   Clear out inner Africa with new troops from South Africa
    4.  Get the Middle East.   Move from India…
    6.  UK Air Force WILL win the war.   Stack up,  Intercept, Scramble, but keep them at home…wait for US

US
    1.  US needs to be relevant as quickly as possible.   So get busy buying Strategic Bombers asap.   You’ll knock off GER factories by turn 5.
    2.  US Should take Norway…build Air Field first (to support bombings of GER lands,  and to defend)
    4.  US NAVY is Med Sea…Gilbraltar is ke y.   You can attack anywhere (almost) on Europe Coast or Italy from there…  The Port there will allow you to move between ‘theaters’ quickly (between Norway and Gilbraltar

Russian
    1.  Stack in Leningrad and in Ukraine, leaving a single inf on other font line territories.   You need to position troops for counter-attack
       a.  first 2 turns, build ‘complimentary’ units  (Artillery for your units,  tactical fighters to pair with tanks/fighters)
       b.  Pull everything back… you have more troops then you think.  You’ll get strong quickly if you consolidate everything in Leningrad and Ukraine.
    2.  All this leads to gaping hole in the middle of russia… if GER takes the bait and attacks through the gap towards Moscow,  GER will have lost…  Russia can counter-attack in the middle from both massed up areas.  GER will need to leave too many units behind to cover  it’s north and south flanks.
    3.  Remember,  in the end,  Russia only has 4 territories worth holding… play it that way.

I’m not sure you’ve played Europe enough against solid opponents. A lot of what you say you must do with each power isn’t totally correct.

Germany:

1. Germany can’t hold Norway in most games.
    2. Bombing UK factories is risky, but can be a viable strategy. Normally I find other uses for my bombers, and if not I’d rather not risk them on bombing a factory that doesn’t get used much after turn 1, and not until around turn 5 when they are linking up with the US.
    3. Agreed.
    4. Problem here is that you won’t have enough planes to take out the UK ships in 111 and 110.
    5. Same as above.

Italy:

1. Not all games are the same, and usually Italy can’t take Gib without loosing his fleet. You have to remember that almost everyone attacks Italy’s Cruiser/BB/transport first turn with UK. You can’t scramble against his supperior numbers, so UK will have 2 fighters/tac/bomber on Malta at the end of turn 1. Also makes it harder to stack Alexandria, but with German planes you can do it.

In my opinion Italy’s main goal is to build up ground units on mainland Europe, unless the opportunity presents itself to take and hold Egypt. If you build only ground units with Italy, by the time the allies have a landing force to attack you, which won’t be till US turn 5, you will have at least 30 Italy units that can defend Southern Italy and Western Germany. This way you can continue for one more turn of all out buy against Russia with Germany.

UK:

1. You should use the fleet you have in the med to hit the Italy fleet. The resulting loss of Italy’s NO, transport, and possible convoy damage greatly outweighs the loss of your fleet. The only time I wouldn’t hit Italy’s fleet is if Germany didn’t kill 110, and then in that case I would stack SZ92 with everything that could reach.
    2. Agreed.
    4. Don’t know what you mean by “move from India”. In Europe there isn’t an India factory…
    5. Agreed that UK Air force is crucial, but UK also needs a factory in Egypt and maybe one in Iraq as well. UK needs to spend almost all her money on ground units in middle east and Africa. This is because after Moscow falls, which is always falls in Europe, Germany will be heading toward Africa with a ton of units.
    6. Don’t keep your planes at home. If he is strat bombing you, then that is fine. Let him take the risk of loosing a bomber to AA gun fire. Your planes are much more important in the middle east and Africa.
    7. UK isn’t the aggressor on the allied side. UK is there soley for support. Have US take Norway so he can build a factory there, and have UK back him up.

US:

1. Agreed that US needs to be relevant as soon as possible, but I don’t think strategic bombers are the way to go. You need ground troops. US is the only one that can take out Germany. If you are spending money on strategic bombers then you are loosing the ground war game. Also the only place you can bomb on turn 5 is Western Germany, and to be honest that isn’t that great of a target on turn 5 anyways. Turn 5 is usually the last turn Germany builds 100% against Russia, and he will build 3 tanks for Ukraine and the rest on bombers for Western Germany, but if Western Germany was bombed then he’d just put the bombers in Novgorod.
    2. Taking Norway is a big step, but be careful about how many transports and units you use to take it. Because if you have say 7 transports sitting off Norway, then those transports are 2 turns away from SZ106 and 3 away from Eastern US.
    3. I don’t think you win just because you took Norway and put a port there. You again have the problem of not enough ground to actually land and hold in France.
    4. Agreed

Russia:

1. Big mistake I see new players make is they try to hold Novgorod. If you do this then Germany can literally walk right by you and beat you to Moscow. In Europe Russia only has 1 option on units to build, all infantry and then either 1 arty or 1 mech depending on the turn or personal preference.
    2. You are wrong here. Germany doesn’t need to leave any troops behind to cover his flanks. Germany can literally walk to Moscow by T6. On T3 he attacks, and in your plan of holding Novgorod, on T4 he stacks in Western Ukraine. Your units that are in Novgorod now can’t make it home to Moscow in time before Germany attacks T6. He doesn’t need to cover his flanks if you give him your capital for free.
    3. Russia only has 1 territory worth Keeping, and that is Moscow. Russia should Have the majority of his forces in the south. The south is where all the money is for Germany, and he will want to get there as soon as possible.

I’ll add that Russia’s main job is just to hold off Germany till T6, and cost him as many units as you can in the battle of Moscow.

• @Calpandrid:

OK.  So I’m about 30 games into it.  Played Europe stand-alone, then Pacific,  then Global.   Here are a few key observations in regards to an overall strategy…by country

GER:

Dude, why on earth would you ever try to Bomb other factories??? The bombers are way to costly (12 a piece) and for very little gain. To actually make a difference, you would need at least 6-7 bombers (72 to 84 IPCs) because some get shot down, and then you can only score on a 1 or 2. That is enormously costly. You need tanks and men and Artys and subs. NOT Strategic Bombers. The only time I would ever bomb a factory is if I had the complete upper hand, and I was trying to just get the final blow.  But as a whole, pretty good points

ITALY:

2. Hold the line…  if UK builds up in South Afrika,  add Air Units to Egypt.   If not,  add all you can to Gilbraltar.

FRANCE:
    1. The only unit that matters is your inf in west Africa.   Put it on a UK transport,  take Brazil and startup a new factory…you will be relevant on turn 5…sorry, but that’s all they can do.

UK.
    2.  Hold Egypt.   Clear out inner Africa with new troops from South Africa
    4.  Get the Middle East.   Move from India…
    6.  UK Air Force WILL win the war.   Stack up,  Intercept, Scramble, but keep them at home…wait for US

US
    1.  US needs to be relevant as quickly as possible.   So get busy buying Strategic Bombers asap.   You’ll knock off GER factories by turn 5.
    4.  US NAVY is Med Sea…Gilbraltar is ke y.   You can attack anywhere (almost) on Europe Coast or Italy from there…  The Port there will allow you to move between ‘theaters’ quickly (between Norway and Gilbraltar

Russian
    1.  Stack in Leningrad and in Ukraine, leaving a single inf on other font line territories.   You need to position troops for counter-attack

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Man, there are some serious horrible suggestions and strategies in this thread.

Whilst I applaud the effort I would seriously like to play against some, because it would be so much fun cutting through these plans like tissue paper.

• TripleA

I pretty much use the same strategies as global. :\

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m