• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

My humble opinion, based on previous incarnations of the game, is that you may move out of combat into combat since you did not end your turn in a friendly sea zone.

• Official Q&A

Yes, it’s allowed.  You must be playing with house rules if you have convoy zones.

• @Cmdr:

My humble opinion, based on previous incarnations of the game, is that you may move out of combat into combat since you did not end your turn in a friendly sea zone.

You must move out during the combat move to avoid combat, and you do not have to be moving into combat (see a recent move I made with USA vs. you in moving subs out of Z62 to avoid combat with your destroyers)  :-)  Technically, I HAD to move them out in combat move, or else I would be attacking your fleet.  (I couldn’t wait until noncom)

• '10

hey folks, I’m sure this has already been covered somewhere, but can any ship enter into BLA, or is it closed off?

• @RisingDragon:

hey folks, I’m sure this has already been covered somewhere, but can any ship enter into BLA, or is it closed off?

The Black Sea?  By default, Zone 16 is open to all ships, but there is an official optional rule you can agree to play by, that Zone 16 is closed to all ships entering or leaving.  Theoretically, you could build ships into Zone 16, but they could never leave (if you were playing with the Dardanalles strait closed).

The league on this site plays with the Black Sea open.

The league on this site plays with black sea (SZ 16) open if, and only if, both sides do not agree to close it.

Also, there’s an “unofficial” house rule I’ve come across, and like, that SZ 16 is closed to any side that does not own Bulgaria, Ukraine and Caucasus (since no one can own Turkey.)  Relieves pressure on Russia early in the game, but also allows the Axis to reinforce Caucasus by sea later in the game.

• @Cmdr:

The league on this site plays with black sea (SZ 16) open if, and only if, both sides do not agree to close it.

That wasn’t what I was told.  I love playing with the Black Sea closed, but was told that was not an option in league.

@gamerman01:

@Cmdr:

That wasn’t what I was told.  I love playing with the Black Sea closed, but was told that was not an option in league.

Think of it as part of the bid.  Been doin that a lot this year in league.

“I bid 1 Infantry in England, Closed Dardenelles.”

• '12

transporting mechanics question in both combat and noncombat.

Pg 31 - During an amphibious assault, a transport must either offload all units that were loaded during the Combat Move phase or retreat during sea combat. It may also offload any number of units owned by the transport’s power that already were on board at the start of the turn.

This came up in a league game between Botider and myself just recently.  I picked up two infantry from ECA in z1 and during the combat move unloaded one infantry to an empty NWE.  Botider brought to my attention that this rule prohibits that action.

However it raises further questions:

one more pertinent rules phrase first:  “On NONCOMBAT move a transport can load from two different territories, unload only into a single friendly territory, or voluntarily choose to keep cargo aboard.”

questions:

1.  can you offload one unit and keep the other aboard when doing this in the noncombat move?

2. if at the start of the combat move the transport is already loaded with two units, can you offload one in combat and leave the other aboard?

• Official Q&A

The answer to both questions is yes.  The key concept is that any land units that load onto a transport in the Combat Move phase must also unload in an amphibious assault in the same turn, unless the transport retreats from the sea battle, in which case they must remain on board.  Units that load in the Noncombat Move phase or that loaded in prior turns are free to either unload or remain on board.  Of course, a transport may not unload one unit in combat and the other in noncombat in the same turn, as unloading ends a transport’s actions for the turn.

• Do you have to fund a new researcher every turn or if you have 1 you keep on using him until he hits? thanks

• Official Q&A

You keep it until either your research is successful or your capital is captured.

• '12

question, could you buy ann acc in order to get a fighter into combat (so the placed carrier becomes the eligible landing spot) and if the fighter survives, place the acc in a different zone, letting the fighter splash - or are you REQUIRED to place the carrier to catch the fighter?

• '12

are you required to place all units you purchased in a given round if you have the ability to place them?  say you bought 8 units and have production capacity of 10.  could you place 5 and keep the other 3 in reserve until the next turn or are you required to place if possible?  thanks

• @Boldfresh:

question, could you buy ann acc in order to get a fighter into combat (so the placed carrier becomes the eligible landing spot) and if the fighter survives, place the acc in a different zone, letting the fighter splash - or are you REQUIRED to place the carrier to catch the fighter?

You can’t let that fighter splash.  If you can pick it up, you have to.

• @Boldfresh:

are you required to place all units you purchased in a given round if you have the ability to place them?

Yes.

say you bought 8 units and have production capacity of 10.  could you place 5 and keep the other 3 in reserve until the next turn or are you required to place if possible?  thanks

Must place all possible.  Can only hold back if impossible to legally place (You miscounted, or forgot to repair, or you liberated an allied capital so that you could not place at a factory that became their’s, that was yours at beginning of turn).

• '10

All, clarification question - can an attacking sub fire at a defending sub once during the sneak attack phase, prior to the defending sub rolling/submerging?  ie if he scores, then the defending sub is sunk before it can submerge?

• @RisingDragon:

All, clarification question - can an attacking sub fire at a defending sub once during the sneak attack phase, prior to the defending sub rolling/submerging?  ie if he scores, then the defending sub is sunk before it can submerge?

No.  A sub is invincible if there is no enemy destroyer, because it can submerge before each round, including the first.  Attacking subs get zero attempts at the defending sub, unless the defending player says he’s not submerging.

Um, it’s here in the errata.
    “Q. Exactly when is the decision made whether or not to submerge submarines?”
    “A. The decision whether to submerge submarines is made before any dice are rolled by either side in an exchange of fire, and the subs submerge immediately.  The attacker decides before the defender does”.

• Where can I find the rulebook for AAE50?

• Official Q&A

Here.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m