• i tried strategic boming on a reduced IPC UK last night, and it worked like a charm

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

A German threat in this game at least leaves open the possibility of holding Norway/Finland which is not exactly a pair of territories Germany wants to give away in this game.  Also, it leaves open the possibility of shoving troops into Karelia all that much faster or even threatening (not actually doing it) Operation Sea Lion.

Also, as was mentioned, two fleets beating the snot out of Russia’s army with off shores has got to be psychologically daunting.

• @cond1024:

I have used a KBF or at least a focus on Britian first strategy to be successful in revised to counter the KGF strat, but have yet to try it on AA50.  How it works is on G1 build naval units enough to destroy the brit navy once.  After that all other german purchases are against Russia.  How the strat works (worked well in revised) is that all axis nations do a run on Brit land, except of course of E/W canada (out of reach and tough to maintain).  The Axis need to take over every bit of UK land, which after turn 3 should be able.  At somepoint during the first three rounds Germany attacks the brit fleet with every piece of naval equipement and plane it has thereby hopefully wiping out the brit navy.  With her navy gone and her lands gone (only bring in 15 IPC) it makes it difficult for Britain to rebuild, unless America diverts attention from a KGF strat to retake all of these brit lands, thereby buying time for the axis to take on Russia.  The remaining IPC that Britian has can be further reduced by German Industrial bombing.

By focusing G1 buys on England it does allow Russia an extra turn to build, but this can be countered later by the fact that Japan, Germany and now Italy can all attack Russia.

That strategy actually can work if you send Japanese ships to Germany when done in the Pacific… the Allies will sink the German fleet, just in time for the Japanese to enter the med  8-)

• Well, this game has been out over a year now, and in all my playing experience it is very important for Germany to at least buy a carrier in round one.

As Jen said, Norway and Finland are extremely important in this game.  In 1942 scenario, it is very easy for Russia to get the big NO every turn if Norway and Finland are already owned by the Allies.  Plus, it’s 5 IPC’s per turn just for the base value.  It’s also important to keep the Allies out of zone 5 for as long as possible.  There are way too many key territories that can be invaded from Z5 to be conceding zone 5 early.

The days of Germany strictly buying air and land are over.

• Buying a carrier and some other boats (usaually dd + tr) in G1 seems to be the default move in our gaming group. It is an effective way to shuttle men to Kar, protect Fr and Scan, and threaten any UK1 boat builds. This does ease pressure on Rus quite a bit knowing that Ger ground units won’t be marching on them, so Rus needs to be aggressive in capturing and holding tt Ger needs for its NO.

Meanwhile, an effective counter to the G1 fleet build may be to focus on ITA with UK air. By taking out the Med fleet, ITA and GER are denied Africa and NO income. Without its fleet, ITA can not assail Cau, either, which allows Rus to concentrate on GER while the Anglos get ramped up.

These forums offer so many good ideas and strategies. I hope I have time to try them all!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m