• Official Q&A

Yes.

• Thanks !

• I know a sub can not pass thru a SZ with a destroyer, but is the opposite true?

Can a DD move thru a SZ containing a sub? 
    Please answer for both combat and non-combat….however I think the answer will be the same for both.

Thanks!

• @axis_roll:

I know a sub can not pass thru a SZ with a destroyer, but is the opposite true?

Can a DD move thru a SZ containing a sub? 
    Please answer for both combat and non-combat….however I think the answer will be the same for both.

Thanks!

Absolutely.  ANY ship can pass into or through a zone with just subs, including transports.  Applies to both combat (assuming those ships are involved in combat in a sz or amphib attack somewhere) and non-combat moves

And one clarification about subs moving into sz with destroyers.  the sub can move into a sz with a destroyer in Non-combat without engaging the defending fleet.  However they can not pass through.

@Official:

[Under [u]Special Combat MovementSubmarines]
    Submarines are capable of moving undetected due to their ability to submerge. For this reason, they have special movement rules. A submarine may move through or into a sea zone containing enemy warships during either the Combat Move or Noncombat Move phase. Unlike other sea units, a submarine may end its noncombat movement in a hostile sea zone. However, if a submarine enters a sea zone containing an enemy destroyer, its movement ends immediately.

This ability of submarines to avoid detection also allows enemy ships to ignore their presence. Any sea zone that contains only enemy submarines does not stop the movement of a sea unit. Sea units ending their combat movement in a sea zone containing only enemy submarines may choose to attack them or not. Sea units may also end their noncombat movement in a sea zone  containing only enemy submarines.

[Emphasis Added]

• 2007 AAR League

I want to double check something.  Can China build in a territory that contains more than 3 units if some of those units are allied (UK\US\Russia)?

• Emperor -
    China can build in any Chinese territory where there are 2 or less Chinese units (flying tigers is a Chinese unit).  Other allied units are irrelevant.

I’m 100% certain.

There is no rule about “more than 3”.  The rule is they cannot place units on any territory that already contains “three or more” units (so 2 or less is OK).  That’s straight from page 10 of the rulebook.

The rulebook is not clear that this is only Chinese units.  However, Krieg, etc, has established that on this thread.  You only count Chinese units.

• 2007 AAR League

@gamerman01:

Emperor -
    China can build in any Chinese territory where there are 2 or less Chinese units (flying tigers is a Chinese unit).  Other allied units are irrelevant.

I’m 100% certain.

There is no rule about “more than 3”.  The rule is they cannot place units on any territory that already contains “three or more” units (so 2 or less is OK).  That’s straight from page 10 of the rulebook.

The rulebook is not clear that this is only Chinese units.  However, Krieg, etc, has established that on this thread.  You only count Chinese units.

I think i missed that, can you link me.

• @DutchmanD:

I want to clarify a few China questions:

1. If China goes first and liberates a territory, the US cannot land aircraft there on its Noncombat movement. Larry’s answer to Telamon’s letter seemed to indicate that one of the China advantages is being able to go first with one or the other (China and US). I’m not sure why this would matter if there wasn’t some advantage regarding aircraft landings (aside from the Chinese being able to place new units in territories liberated by the US).

2. Not being able to place Chinese in territories with three or more units. Is that Chinese units only or any Allied units. Example: 6 Soviet infantry in a territory at the end of a Chinese turn, eligible for Chinese mobilization or no?

Reply #508

• @gamerman01:

I can answer question #2.  You only count Chinese units, and this includes the Flying Tigers.  Does not include industrial complexes (built by an Axis power).  So you can place 4 Chinese in a territory with 6 Soviet infantry.

Reply #509

• @Krieghund:

@DutchmanD:

1. If China goes first and liberates a territory, the US cannot land aircraft there on its Noncombat movement. Larry’s answer to Telamon’s letter seemed to indicate that one of the China advantages is being able to go first with one or the other (China and US). I’m not sure why this would matter if there wasn’t some advantage regarding aircraft landings (aside from the Chinese being able to place new units in territories liberated by the US).

Any number of situations could exist in which it was advantageous for one country or the other to go first.  The best example that I can think of is for one side to “soften up” an Axis-held territory so that the other could take it.  It would depend on the relative composition of the forces involved, as well as the overall circumstances, as to the optimal order of execution of the battles.

Thanks for getting question 2, Gamerman01!

Reply #510

• EM, I just put in “China” in the search box.  Worked like a charm.  I suggest searching this thread in the future when you have a question.  (see the 3 posts I quoted before this post for the product of your request)

• 2007 AAR League

Forgive me “Annointed One”, i hadn’t realized you had crowned yourself “Lord of the Rules Board”, i’ll make note of your “suggestion” before posting in the future. :lol: :lol:

• @Emperor:

Forgive me “Annointed One”, i hadn’t realized you had crowned yourself “Lord of the Rules Board”, i’ll make note of your “suggestion” before posting in the future. :lol: :lol:

A simple “thank you” would suffice.

You wanted to know the answer to the rule, why didn’t you search for it yourself?  I don’t know why I went and found it for you, now.  I guess it was because I said I was 100% certain and you wanted proof.

There’s your proof.

• 2007 AAR League

Since you blocked any reply to your PM, I will post it here.

@gamerman01:

EM, I just put in “China” in the search box.  Worked like a charm.  I suggest searching this thread in the future when you have a question.

If I posted a response like that to you, wouldn’t you take offense?  You basically said, “Search before wasting our time” as if the board was your personal fiefdom.  If you don’t want people asking you to provide documentation for your interpretation of the rules, don’t answer.  It’s not like I asked you personally.

• @Emperor:

@gamerman01:

EM, I just put in “China” in the search box.  Worked like a charm.  I suggest searching this thread in the future when you have a question.

If I posted a response like that to you, wouldn’t you take offense?  You basically said, “Search before wasting our time” as if the board was your personal fiefdom.  If you don’t want people asking you to provide documentation for your interpretation of the rules, don’t answer.  It’s not like I asked you personally.

You misunderstood me.  I was telling you about the search function for your convenience.  Yes, I was a bit upset that you didn’t believe me.  No, I don’t really blame you for asking for proof.

Be careful before you start calling names, please.  Besides, you’re the one who calls himself “Emperor”.

• 2007 AAR League

@gamerman01:

@Emperor:

@gamerman01:

You misunderstood me.  I was telling you about the search function for your convenience.  Yes, I was a bit upset that you didn’t believe me.  No, I don’t really blame you for asking for proof.

Be careful before you start calling names, please.  Besides, you’re the one who calls himself “Emperor”.

“We forgive you” <looks aloof=“” and=“” heads=“” for=“” his=“” throne=“”>, “Vir, send in the next one”  :lol: :lol: :lol:</looks>

• One more sub question :

If there is a US transport and a japan sub in sz59. Japan turn, he attacks the transport with a fighter.

May the sub move during ncm or was it considered as participating to the combat (and therefore should move during the combat move) ?

• Official Q&A

If it wants to move, it must do so during the Combat Move phase or it will be participating in the attack on the transport.

• That’s what I was thinking, but was not totally sure.

Thanks for the answer !

• 2007 AAR League

Question about the Feb 5th FAQ Errata regarding Heavy Bombers.

Is the 2 Dice pick best apply only to SBR?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m