Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• May I say the F-word?

Horrible dice in the north.

G kills off an inf in Karelia and stands untouched in Vyborg.

Now there’s a choice to make. I’m considering securing Leningrad, but it hurts.

• TripleA Manual Gamesave Post: Russians round 3

TripleA Manual Gamesave Post for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 3

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 9 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode
            1 infantry moved from Belarus to Baltic States
                  Russians take Baltic States from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            2 armour, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Karelia
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            1 mech_infantry moved from Caucasus to Iraq
                  Russians take Iraq from Neutral_Axis
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to Karelia

Combat - Russians
            Russians creates battle in territory 125 Sea Zone
            Battle in Karelia
                Russians attack with 2 armour, 1 fighter, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 2 armour, 1 fighter, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Karelia, round 2 : 2/6 hits, 2,00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Karelia, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Karelia
                Russians win, taking Karelia from Germans with 2 armour, 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Vyborg
                Russians attack with 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Vyborg, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1,33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Vyborg, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Vyborg, round 3 : 0/3 hits, 1,33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Vyborg, round 3 : 1/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Vyborg
                 retreated to Vyborg
                Germans win with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is -3

Non Combat Move - Russians
            6 infantry moved from Yenisey to Timguska
            2 aaGuns and 12 infantry moved from Yakut S.S.R. to Yenisey
            2 infantry moved from Rostov to Bryansk
            3 infantry moved from Ukraine to Bryansk
            2 aaGuns, 2 artilleries and 12 infantry moved from Western Ukraine to Bryansk
            6 infantry moved from Russia to Bryansk
            2 aaGuns, 1 artillery and 15 infantry moved from Belarus to Bryansk
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Vyborg to Novgorod
            1 fighter moved from Karelia to Novgorod

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans : 1,00
    Russians : -2,67

Savegame

• Alternative is of course to abandon Leningrad all-together and build the mechs in Stalingrad instead, keeping only 1 inf as blocker in Belarus.

• The figs should still be safe in Karelia.

• My gosh, so much spent to kill 1 German and keep Novogorod for an additional turn. Wow, that just wrecked the game.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

My gosh, so much spent to kill 1 German and keep Novogorod for an additional turn. Wow, that just wrecked the game.

Not at all. The pressure on the western front will be enormous in just a little while and Germany is very low on income. They will have a hard time handling both fronts. I hope.

• So what do you suggest, Bomber?

Protect Leningrad and risk the air or abandon it, letting that single inf take it and focus now on Moscow?

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

My gosh, so much spent to kill 1 German and keep Novogorod for an additional turn. Wow, that just wrecked the game.

I insist that the plan was good. :)

• @trulpen I would probably let him have Leningrad. and conserve the forces. The main thing is to get air to Moscow and you’ve accomplished that.

• @farmboy said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@trulpen I would probably let him have Leningrad. and conserve the forces. The main thing is to get air to Moscow and you’ve accomplished that.

I know. Still want to take advantage of the abscence of serious can-openers.

Hell, it’s a learning game. I know the most solid thing is to conserve and prepare for the take-down. However, the Iraq-strategy is in line with the northern push.

Anything G uses to counter the north will be drawn away from the grand price. As are most of our (rather mine, since I guess I’m alone in this prospect) resources up north.

I’ll try it out and hope for the best, gladly exposing myself to a torrent of blame.

• TripleA Turn Summary: Russians round 3

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0

Game History

Round: 3

Purchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 9 infantry and 3 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode
                  Russians take Baltic States from Germans
            1 infantry moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            2 armour, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry moved from Novgorod to Karelia
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Novgorod to Vyborg
            1 mech_infantry moved from Caucasus to Iraq
                  Russians take Iraq from Neutral_Axis
            1 fighter moved from Novgorod to Karelia

Combat - Russians
            Russians creates battle in territory 125 Sea Zone
            Battle in Karelia
                Russians attack with 2 armour, 1 fighter, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 2 armour, 1 fighter, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Karelia, round 2 : 2/6 hits, 2,00 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Karelia, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Karelia
                Russians win, taking Karelia from Germans with 2 armour, 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Vyborg
                Russians attack with 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Vyborg, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1,33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Vyborg, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 fighter, 1 infantry and 1 tactical_bomber in Vyborg, round 3 : 0/3 hits, 1,33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Vyborg, round 3 : 1/1 hits, 0,33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Vyborg
                 retreated to Vyborg
                Germans win with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is -3

Non Combat Move - Russians
            6 infantry moved from Yenisey to Timguska
            2 aaGuns and 12 infantry moved from Yakut S.S.R. to Yenisey
            2 infantry moved from Rostov to Bryansk
            3 infantry moved from Ukraine to Bryansk
            2 aaGuns, 2 artilleries and 12 infantry moved from Western Ukraine to Bryansk
            2 aaGuns, 1 artillery and 15 infantry moved from Belarus to Bryansk
            6 infantry moved from Russia to Bryansk
            1 fighter and 1 tactical_bomber moved from Vyborg to Novgorod
            1 fighter moved from Karelia to Novgorod

Place Units - Russians
            3 mech_infantrys placed in Novgorod
            9 infantry placed in Russia

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 38 PUs; end with 38 PUs
            Objective Russians 2 Spread Of Communism: Russians met a national objective for an additional 3 PUs; end with 41 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans : 1,00
    Russians : -2,67

Savegame

• I’ll give this an hour before finalizing.

If someone gives a clear argument, which I support, of not doing this, I’m open to change it.

For clarity: The difference will be 3 mech in Stalingrad, air in Moscow and no blocker in Belarus.

• Let him have Leningrad. It is a lost cause at this point. Thank goodness it is a practice game. Best to get these horrible die rolls out at this stage. Almost to a point of desperation in this game as you are so far behind “normal” even for a no-bid game.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

The cost is that you are going to lose 3 inf that could be in Moscow. The benefit is that you deny him 7 ipcs and his air builds for Moscow become slightly more expensive (he loses a chance to build tacs in Leningrad). Probably this denies him a bomber which might make the trade closer.

It does give you an opportunity to mess with Scandinavia. I would still be concerned that he might just gamble on the Italian bomber thinking its a low risk route (about 30% odds) of hitting the Soviet air. Probably he wouldn’t do that since he is not in desperate shape.

If you don’t go with Leningrad, the mechs (at least 1) are probably better placed in Moscow since the inf still have time to reach there from Stalingrad too.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I also don’t like losing 4 inf. But they are “saving” the tanks and mob inf in Karelia. He can’t occupy Belarus next round. You’ll gain 5+ fighters. So no immediate crisis for Russia. The units in Karelia can’t really get back, if he stacks Baltic States and moves up Italian tanks as expected. So play the game in front of you, take Finland and then Norway. Leave blockers when able to slow his advance, and collect the added IPCs. Should give you and extra turn or several depending upon how many fast movers he sends to take you down. That hopefully will give the Western front time to build.

• Ok, it’s bold, but consider the Russian turn finalized. We won’t let a little set-back deter us from the greater glory, right? No-one remembers a coward. Right? :grin:

(Intentionally referring to the beginning of this game were I got the cowardice mark on my forehead.)

• This was… interesting to say the least!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

If I were Russia I would not have fought for Karelia and tried to save Novgorod for 1 Turn. It cost Russia 8 infantry to gain 5 fighters for the defense of Moscow and deny Novgorod to the Germans for one Turn. That is not a good trade. Also, now the Atlantic will be without 5 fighters which would have been very useful to attack the Atlantic Wall.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I should add Russia will gain $3 more so they can buy one of those infantry back.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Japan 3:
    Is my capital safe? Since I am planning on abandoning SZ6 the US has a single infantry and single artillery attack. Next Turn they could add 4 fighters to that attack. I can easily counter that with my build.

So, India is certainly the primary objective; especially since it is weak. The issue is how to take it? I can move my fleet to SZ39 and save myself the cost of a Naval Base. The problem with that is then the US is free to do whatever they want and I have no counter. If I build the Naval Base then the transport in SZ6 not only joins the India attack but the IJN in FIC (SZ36) has complete reach into the entire main Pacific area. Therefore, the US has to take that into consideration for anything they do. Okay so I need a Naval Base, and an Air Base and I need to protect Tokyo.

Since the Russians are running away and I now have defenders in place I can go into Russia too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m