WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion

• @Amon-Sul oh I see. I thought you had asked whether a major Ic was needed to build ships.

• @regularkid said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

I see. So you’d want Russia to continue to be able to produce units even after its capital is taken. I believe world at war is like this?

its an interesting concept. But after a few games playing Germany, i’ll bet you will not be seeking a further buff for Russia. Germany definitely has its job cut out for it.

well, tehnically, the capitol is not taken, but removed, i mean the IC xd

• Reduced Unit Costs: Transports now cost 6. Cruisers 11. Battleships 18. And tactical bombers 10.

I must underline this, cus it is so important.

Just curious, why to make transports cheaper? do they have some combat value or extra ability?

@Amon-Sul No need for a major IC to build capital ships. That is correct. One of the reasons for the harbour restriction was to prevent undue exploitation of the Soviet IC in Siberia. With Russia’s boosted income, it was a concern. Another reason was to prevent what, to me, always seemed a corny scenario of USA pumping out carriers from newly built factories in Greece and Norway.

However, if I am understanding correctly, since it only takes a minor IC and a Harbour to build a capital ship, then a Harbour could be built in Siberia and then the Russians could build carriers there.

• On that topic; Can you build a harbor and a capital ship in the same turn or do you need to wait until the next turn?

• '19 '17

@Misterblue said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

On that topic; Can you build a harbor and a capital ship in the same turn or do you need to wait until the next turn?

No you can’t, you need to have a functional harbor at the beginning of the round, so you need to wait a turn after building the harbor (TripleA handles that correctly).

• @Amon-Sul X number of factories per game may move once per game + no cat and mouse

• Hey all. Just wanted to address a rule issue that has come up in some of our matches.

Here is the scenario:

Germany attacks Normandy, France, and Southern France on round 1 (risky move, but is doable).

France chooses to scramble its fighter from Paris to the fight in Normandy.

Germany succeeds in taking France and Southern France, but fails to take Normandy, where the French fighter survives.

Question: Can the surviving French fighter land in Normandy?

The answer is yes.

The rule: A scrambling plane must return to the place from where it scrambled, unless that place is no longer a viable landing spot (either because the territory was taken, or the scrambling carrier was damaged/destroyed). If the place from where the plane scrambled is no longer a viable landing spot, the plane may land in any available spot that is adjacent to or in the battle zone itself.

So in the scenario above, Normandy would be an available landing spot for the surviving French fighter, since it could not return home to France.

Please be aware that the current version of the TripleA engine does not handle this rule well. However, we have tested it on the upcoming TripleA 2 engine, and it works perfectly in accordance with the rules stated above. Until that version is released, please use edit mode whenever you need to land scrambled planes in the territory to which they scrambled.

• @regularkid How those the new island placements affect the rule: “while it’s not at war with Japan, the United States may not…end the movement of its sea units in sea zones that are adjacent to Japan-controlled territories” ?

• @Misterblue good question. The rule remains unchanged, but now there is an exception for the Guam sea zone. Ships may end by Guam even though it abuts marianas. Will add this to game notes.

• @regularkid Those the exception apply to sz32 as well? (since Wake border that sea zone as well)

• @Misterblue correct

Can you comment on civil war and great purge - are those one time penalties?
    Yes, it is a onetime penalty that only affects starting income.

I don’t see anything about these concepts in the game notes, or in your new variant description. Is there additional info on Path to Victory, somewhere?

• @CaptainNapalm Hey Captain. We will be putting out an updated version of the map with supplemented game notes in the next couple of weeks. The Great Purge/Civil War Penalty was inadvertently omitted from the original notes.

• '20 '16

Regarding carrier scramble:
    Can scramble into land territories, only if there is a friendly land unit in the territory.

Does this apply to sea zones? I assume no, or you’d have stated such, but just want to be clear.
    So, assuming this “friendly unit needed to scramble” rule does NOT apply to sea zones, would a lone transport NOT be able to make an amphibious assault adjacent to an enemy carrier based aircraft, without being vulnerable, but WOULD be able to make a non-combat landing adjacent to an enemy carrier based aircraft?

After typing this out, I realize carrier scramble is likely, simply the exact same as airbase scramble, but limited to one plane per carrier. Which is why you called it a simple expansion of an existing game feature. But, hey, I’m not going to erase this whole post! I wasted my time, writing it. Now I’m going to waste your time by reading it. (And it might actually clarify some things. hehehe)

• @CaptainNapalm said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

Regarding carrier scramble:
    Can scramble into land territories, only if there is a friendly land unit in the territory.

Does this apply to sea zones? I assume no, or you’d have stated such, but just want to be clear.
    So, assuming this “friendly unit needed to scramble” rule does NOT apply to sea zones, would a lone transport NOT be able to make an amphibious assault adjacent to an enemy carrier based aircraft, without being vulnerable, but WOULD be able to make and non-combat landing adjacent to an enemy carrier based aircraft.

After typing this out, I realize carrier scramble is likely, simply the exact same as airbase scramble, but limited to one plane per carrier. Which is why you called it a simple expansion of an existing game feature. But, hey, I’m not going to erase this whole post! I wasted my time, writing it. Now I’m going to waste your time by reading it. (And it might actually clarify some things. hehehe)

Just noticed, game notes say the defender needs a unit in the land territory to scramble.
    Does NOT say it needs to be a land unit, as I stated. Can it be an allied unit, or does it need to be a unit belonging to the scrambling power?

• @CaptainNapalm said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

But, hey, I’m not going to erase this whole post! I wasted my time, writing it. Now I’m going to waste your time by reading it. (And it might actually clarify some things. hehehe)

I feel your pain, and would have plowed forward as well. Land-scramble is permitted if there is any friendly defending unit (land, air, AA gun, etc.) in the defending territory. Note, this even applies to pro-neutrals! Hope that clarifies.

• @axis-dominion said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

Still no revised tech? I really love the idea of tech, but needs to be revised. Tech played a big role in the real war, and I already know Adam will say well that’s already reflected in the increased income as you conquer more, but I have to say I would really love for tech to be revisited and revised to make it a viable and fun system.

Me too!

I actually worked together with @Pejon_88 a year ago on a different system for tech that I believe has quite some potential. One of the basic ideas was that there’s be a new structure, namely research facilities (small) and complex (big).

We tried out a few different routes, but never hit the endpoint of satisfaction and just put it on ice for a while. Maybe I should dust it off and give it a go? Would be interesting to hear others feedback on it.

• @trulpen said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

@axis-dominion said in WW2 Path to Victory - Rules Discussion:

Still no revised tech? I really love the idea of tech, but needs to be revised. Tech played a big role in the real war, and I already know Adam will say well that’s already reflected in the increased income as you conquer more, but I have to say I would really love for tech to be revisited and revised to make it a viable and fun system.

Me too!

I actually worked together with @Pejon_88 a year ago on a different system for tech that I believe has quite some potential. One of the basic ideas was that there’s be a new structure, namely research facilities (small) and complex (big).

We tried out a few different routes, but never hit the endpoint of satisfaction and just put it on ice for a while. Maybe I should dust it off and give it a go? Would be interesting to hear others feedback on it.

yes go for it!

@axis-dominion yah, i’ve never really been a tech guy for A&A tbh. But I definitely think it could be a worthwhile pursuit as a mod to PTV, if someone else has good ideas for a tech tree.

I’ve never been a tech guy, either. Because it’s always been an expensive, random, gamble, and I want to win with strategy, and minimize random luck. I don’t want to try for advanced artillery, and get improved shipyards, instead. That being said, unless we are playing low luck, we face random chance, every battle, every game. We take that chance, because we like the odds versus payoff. TECH IS FUN! If done right, which is apparently difficult, as I’ve never seen it, it could be a great improvement to the game!

I’ll leave it to those more creative than I to debate WHICH tech should be in the game, but I want to weigh in on HOW tech should be developed in the game.

There are two systems, that I’ve seen, that got close enough for me to consider investing in tech. A&A 50th Anniversary Edition has expensive, random, tech tokens(die rolls), but if you miss, you keep your token(s), and roll each round, until successful. Global War 1936 has inexpensive, non-random tech, but a missed roll is a complete loss.

Combining these two, I can imagine a tech system that I would want to invest in:
    Inexpensive - GW36, $2, rather than 50th, $5
    Non-random - GW36, I chose the tech I want, and invest in THAT tech.
    Return on investment - “If we aren’t winning, we are learning.” My proposal would be an improved chance at success, each successive round, following a failure. One die pip more likely to succeed, perhaps. The 50th system, of carrying your token over each round, until successful, would also work for me.

I also like that GW36 requires a series of successful rolls, to achieve the new tech. I don’t want to lose my Japanese navy, because, in one round, the US got super subs, jet fighters, and heavy bombers.

For those unfamiliar with Global War 1936, I’m attaching a picture of one of their tech charts. You can see they use a 12 sided die, but I don’t think that’s required. You’ll also see that some tech requires better die rolls for success. I like this, as I imagine it next to impossible to evenly balance a dozen technology breakthroughs, covering all the varying aspects of the game. Just make it more difficult to get a successful breakthrough on the more powerful tech.

I look forward to everyone’s feedback!

Screenshot_20200608-072548.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m