Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• @farmboy I agree that you have to force the battle in Yunnan by stacking with the UK forces. Japan should win, but it will cost a fair bit of his Air Force (about 11-12 planes) that will make it challenging to win in the Pacific.

You will have to do the math to see if it can hold out on J3 if you add even more British and Russian forces. My hunch is that you will be forced to retreat after this lucrative turn.

• @trulpen realized that I’m just parroting your proposal down here after the fact. Read the first line and then looked at the map and then commented.

And @Arthur-Bomber-Harris I suspect it will be hard to hold it on J3, but even 1 turn can make a huge difference here I think.

• @farmboy agreed that holding Yunnan on J2 is a huge benefit because you can purchase Art that makes your stack so much more potent. You also don’t sacrifice a couple of soldiers that are normally required for that turn. Eventually the China stack can make its way up to Northeast China around turn 8 and join up with Allied reinforcements.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

so far, i have not followed the discussion in detail

1. German buys are sound. But I am fairly certain that Germany should hit yugo. Now, Italy is left with too much to do. Also one tac should go to Paris. Its fundamental for Germany to conservere air in a game like this, so i understand it, but still I think 1 tac to france is worth it
    2. Against that German buy I would buy 12 inf as well. You can always buy art later and you can never hold belarus G4 whatever you are doing
    3. I think J1DOW is fairly risky in this game considering the bid. I also think a 2 transports and 1 factory is a stronger buy in this situation. Its not a disaster to control DEI for the first time in J3. Also only 1 inf should go to cahar J1, everything else to Anhwe (for the attack on Yunnan J3)
    4. China and the British should stack everything in Yunnan now. If Japan goes for it they need a miracle and will lose many planes. Too costly in a high bid game. It is possible to get by with this in a low bid game
    5. All in all, allied position looks solid

• @oysteilo I am a fan of J1DOW in OOB games. It puts so much pressure on India and gives time for Japan to capture all of the islands before the American fleet arrives. With the J1DOW, the 3 transports have the advantage of providing extra pressure on India by J3. That will force the UK Pacific forces to retreat back to their capitol instead of enjoying a vacation in Yunnan.

I am not used to a J1 that ignores Hunan and allows China+India to stack Yunnan. I am curious if India strafes the infantry on French Indochina on UK1, is it possible to hold Yunnan still on J3?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Just an observation and since it’s late no one to blame but me. But if the Japanese want to take the fleet at Queensland they can. Even with all the other units + BB.
    Land troops in N Territory and move other units into place. If the Hawaii fleet tries to stop, they will be annihilated. and the take down of Australia can commence. It may not be optimal, but with all other fleets removed. Japan will have time to rebuild in Australia.

The best counter to this could be take Sumatra and push India to Burma next turn…do it now invites a J4 India takedown if the Burma stack is wiped out. Regardless, India needs to grow while Japan is occupied.

I would have kept the US forces in Hawaii one turn.

This is why I hate fighting the Japanese. they have too much flexibility early in the game.

• Surfer, those issues would have been avoided if 2 American fighters had flown to Queensland on US1. I don’t know why they stayed behind in Hawaii unless you want to threaten moving into the Japan Sea.

• Haven’t looked closely, but isn’t that a bad trade for Japan? Anything that stays will die by the mercy of the hawaiian fleet, no?

• @trulpen yeah, it wouldn’t be that good of a trade for Japan. The only reason he might be tempted to do it is if you stack Java with a couple ground units plus the ANZAC planes.

Still, I would be more comfortable with American planes sitting in Queensland to provide cover.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Surfer, those issues would have been avoided if 2 American fighters had flown to Queensland on US1. I don’t know why they stayed behind in Hawaii unless you want to threaten moving into the Japan Sea.

Why would that help? There are 3 aussie figs in the vicinity.

• Hehe, don’t think it’s advisable to stack Java on a JDOW1. It will be easily wiped out.

Besides, I trust that the issue with Yunnan will make Japan to commit to resolving it and not dabbling on the side with a lost cause. But hey, I might be sloppily wrong. Has happened before.

• @trulpen There are so many things those American fighters could do if they are in Queensland on US2. So little that they can do sitting in Hawaii.

• I agree, but they don’t have support by fleet and no space to land, so rather limited, I think. The threat of a landing in Korea is serious, and Japan really don’t want to have to protect against that onslaught.

• I don’t think that the Buryatia forces can move back to Amur on R2 since they would be wiped out by Japan on J2, leaving all of Siberia open. Without Russian reinforcements, America cannot consider landing in Korea on US2.

You do threaten to attack SZ6 if Japan builds anything except subs in that area, but I doubt that your opponent has that plan for J2. Hence, I think there is absolutely nothing that your US planes can do next turn from Hawaii.

If they were sitting in Queensland, you threaten the 1-2-3 strike of America + UK + Anzac that can take out a fleet if Japan spreads them too thinly.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I don’t think it would be a good move for Japan to attack 54 if they had the odds since Japan would be trading its two battleship and a carrier against all three allied forces. US losses are relatively small. And its pulled out of position relative to its early objectives.But I don’t think they have good odds there either once the fleets stack. I don’t think Korea is a good option until you get the Soviets in position. I can see the logic of leaving the air in Hawaii to make naval builds more tenuous in 6. But I probably would have brought the air down to Queensland too.

• You may very well be right. Unfortunately US has moved. Maybe I’ll learn something.

• Anyway, I’m thinking of proceeding with China. What I can see a maximum attack on Yunnan is the way to go and so far it’s a concensus on it. I’m also sure @Omega1759 agrees upon the move.

• @trulpen I don’t think it is too critical either way at this point

• you could ask your opponent if you can adjust your US non-combat move. China hasn’t rolled any dice so it almost always is granted.

• Nah, I’ve got the impression that Andrew really doesn’t like changes on a posted turn. Don’t want to ask. My plan is anyway to land the aussie air in Queensland. It will be discussed, but I’m not sure it’s worth a trannie to land on some island at this moment. Maybe DNG.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m