• Has anyone tried this?  How did it work for you?

From what I hear the Scotland drop seems to be this: On G1 you purchase a CV and 2 TRNs.  On G2 you buy 8-10 TRNs, depending on UK1’s build, and invade Scotland with 6 INF.  Do you move your SZ 112 fleet (CV, 2 FIG, CA, BB, maybe few SS) to the three transports off Scotland to keep them alive, while building a DD in SZ 113 to keep your 8 TRN build alive with scramblers, or do you just let those 3 TRNs die and build 10 TRN on G2? If there’s an example of this attack somewhere on the forums please post a link, I’d like to see some of the specifics.

I’m guessing you just let the 3 TRN suicide and use the 2nd wave to finish the job on G3.  It would be nice though not having to throw them away to attempt this strat.  Has anyone tried landing an AA gun with the INF on G2, or is that not worth it?  I’d like to lose the least amount of material while still posing maximum threat.

• '10

The scotland drop is possible/interesting when situation is just right.
    I hate the idea of sacrificing 3 transports so early in the game , and specially when you’re planing Sealion. The idea of scotland drop, IMO, is to have a cheaper sealion, with only 7-10 transports total (instead of 11-12). I go for it only when UK has not enough fire power to destroy my fleet + 3 transports in SZ111 on UK2.
    Exemples : the SZ109 DD and some planes attack SZ 106 to kill the German sub, UK has attacked the Italian fleet on UK1 and lost some planes, or UK scrambled in SZ110 on G1 and lost some planes, and if you have been lucky, a sub on SZ111 or 110 which has survived from G1 can help too.
    Finally, you can also send 5 inf and one AA gun, it can be funny sometimes, because some players like to attack your 6 inf in scotland with their planes, a few infantry and retreat after one round of combat, leaving you with 1-3 inf in Scotland (which negates or lesser the sacrifice of 3 transports you were talking about). At the moment, i don’t know what is better : 6inf, or 5inf+AAgun. Depends on the number of UK planes in range i guess.

• I do the Scotland drop and protect it with the carrier I bought on the G1. If England uses her fighters against you and loses them. Sealion on G3.

• Ok, so you ARE expected to try to protect those 3 TRN off Scotland, good.  Guess this is still a situational strat though, as if the UK brings too much navy in range of SZ 111 for UK2 its not recommended…  I hate throwing away navy units for no good reason too.

• Customizer

When you move the German infantry to Scotland, that’s a combat move.  I thought that you could only move AA guns during the non-combat move.

• '10

@knp7765:

When you move the German infantry to Scotland, that’s a combat move.  I thought that you could only move AA guns during the non-combat move.

Well, you can combat move 4 inf to Scotland, and then NCM one more inf +AA gun.

• but can’t allies block to mainland, making it impossble to get another shipment of reinforcements?

• @Frontovik:

but can’t allies block to mainland, making it impossble to get another shipment of reinforcements?

If you have the German fleet in sz112 they can’t block your invasion of London.

My ally did the pre-Sealion invasion of Scotland and it worked out quite well. You do want to protect the transports off of Scotland somewhat. That way if he decides to attack them he’s going to lose his airforce and Sealion is assured. I believe we also put an AA gun in Scotland to make sure those troops survived as well.

If there was a big fleet in sz109 I may not try it. But if the UK has a big fleet you probably shouldn’t be doing Sealion.

• '10

@Sgt.:

@Frontovik:

but can’t allies block to mainland, making it impossble to get another shipment of reinforcements?

If your fleet is in SZ112, then you can’t protect the tansports on SZ111 and so you can’t do the Scotland drop…
    When UK can blocade SZ 112 with one ship, then the Italian planes can destroy the blocader easily from South Italia. If UK can send 2 ships to blocade, then you shouldn’t do the scotland drop (chances are that instead of blocading, UK could just attack SZ111 with all they have).

• If your fleet is in SZ112, then you can’t protect the tansports on SZ111 and so you can’t do the Scotland drop…
    When UK can blocade SZ 112 with one ship, then the Italian planes can destroy the blocader easily from South Italia. If UK can send 2 ships to blocade, then you shouldn’t do the scotland drop (chances are that instead of blocading, UK could just attack SZ111 with all they have).

How do you know that when you play alone? And didn’t know how to response to a simple message?

• @Axisplaya:

If your fleet is in SZ112, then you can’t protect the tansports on SZ111 and so you can’t do the Scotland drop…

I favour 1 cv, 1 dd, 1 tac, 1 ftr in sz111, and 1 bb, 1 ca, 1 ss, 3 ftr (Scramble) in sz112. This assumes that you took out sz111/sz112/sz110 and possibly sz91 on round 1.

Then if the UK attacks you in sz111 they’re losing planes, which assures Sealion. They’re probably not going to attack you in sz112. There’s nothing that can stop your invasion and Italy can even clear sz110 so that you get the bombards.

• Sgt. Wonko,

How are you getting the DD in SZ 111?  Are you only landing 2 TRN on G2, since you have to buy that DD on G1?  Not sure if 3 INF 1 AA is going to work.

I would still do the attack with my ENTIRE fleet (CA, BB, CV, 2 FIG, maybe subs) protecting SZ 111, and build a DD or two to protect the transports (with 3 FIG scramble support) in SZ 112 on my G2 buy.  This way the UK is really hard pressed to kill SZ 111 AND SZ 112.  Would that work instead?

• @Sgt.:

@Frontovik:

My ally did the pre-Sealion invasion of Scotland and it worked out quite well. You do want to protect the transports off of Scotland somewhat. That way if he decides to attack them he’s going to lose his airforce and Sealion is assured. I believe we also put an AA gun in Scotland to make sure those troops survived as well.

If there was a big fleet in sz109 I may not try it. But if the UK has a big fleet you probably shouldn’t be doing Sealion.

112, is at scottland or chanal?
    and even so, if the french put a ship there or someone attacks the transports…

• SZ 112 is the gateway into the Baltic…  As long as you have SZ 112 defended you can pick up reinforcements with the 3 TRN in SZ 111 and invade England through SZ 110.

Don’t think the French could help all that much, except for defending England.  The Italian player on I1 can kill their fleet off Marseilles, and the DD off Madagascar is too far away to help in time for F2.  Even if the Brits try to reinforce the French fleet in that same SZ on UK1, they’re not going to reach SZ 110 in time to block on UK2/F2.

The UK could potentially move EVERYTHING in the Med to Gibraltar on UK1, to block SZ 110 on UK2, but then that way Italy gets to be a huge factor in that theater.  And the fight for SZ 110 is still dubious with Germany’s entire airforce in range to destroy it on G3…

Hmmm…  Thinking 1 CV 2 TRN may be the way to go from here on out for Germany!  LOTS of options and not too restrictive for G2 70 IPC buys, in case you change your mind about Barbarossa!

• @SgtBlitz:

Sgt. Wonko,

How are you getting the DD in SZ 111?  Are you only landing 2 TRN on G2, since you have to buy that DD on G1?  Not sure if 3 INF 1 AA is going to work.

I would still do the attack with my ENTIRE fleet (CA, BB, CV, 2 FIG, maybe subs) protecting SZ 111, and build a DD or two to protect the transports (with 3 FIG scramble support) in SZ 112 on my G2 buy.  This way the UK is really hard pressed to kill SZ 111 AND SZ 112.  Would that work instead?

Right you are, I meant 1 ss in sz111 and 1 dd in sz112.

I suppose you could move more into sz111. It depends on how much air London has, the thing is if sz112 falls then Sealion is over, whereas if sz111 falls you still have a pretty good shot.

• Is taking scotland that necessary for an attack on London?  I mean, a better naval purchase G1 is 1 cv 1 dd 1 sub.  This gives you another surface ship, another sub in case UK gets lucky and sinks all your other subs, and that dd will come in handy either against Russian subs or to block allied fleets.

Sell me on the 2 trn 1 cv buy please! :)

• The 2 TP purchase is crucial to ensuring that the British cannot forgo turn 1 defenses for a G2 Sealion. It also allows for a G2 Barbossa purchase with the TP’s hitting up the Russian coast should you be in such a position, or better positioning for a G3 assault on Russia.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m