Two soviet fighters = 20 IPC
    Yunnan infantry = 3 IPC
    Two subs 98/91 = 12 IPC
    Scotland fighter = 10 IPC
    Paris: one infantry =3 IPC
    UK Europe: 2 IPC
    Total = 50 IPC

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

It’s definitely interesting with the, as I understand it aim to control the eastern provinces and also being able to help out the chilese with flexible air.

The only backside I can see is that Russia is not at war in the beginning. Japan can easily abstain from DOWing, although in OOB there’s no direct cost to it. But it also goes for the pressure on east Russia. Not sure it’s worth 12 IPC to dissuade that?

On the other hand it’s usually an easy income boost for Japan while denying Russia important income. Most important is to defend Moscow, if possible, and it might be better served with bids for the Atlantic and Med, since that should give UK resources to send up figs for the defense of Moscow from round 4.

The point of the artillery is make the stack a more potent offensive force. That forces Japan to keep a bit more air force in the north. All the sudden this big defensive stack has decent offense potential. As others have mentioned, you can’t actually go on offense until the 3rd Russian turn, but moving back all the stack on R2 (when feasible) can change J2 plans and marginally help elsewhere. You can also do this without the artillery, but the fear factor isn’t the same :).

By bidding two soviet fighters and sending them to Yunnan, it’s very likely going to prevent a J1. The key is whether there’s a way to create another distraction to prevent a J2 while causing sufficient losses. Only the Soviets or Chinese can create this distraction.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Sorry, not FIC, since China can’t go there. Only comes pressure when the brits enter Yunnan. That’s a clear weakness of this strategy.

Potentially reckless strategy, but spices things up:

Add a mech infantry in Burma and attack the 2 Japanese infantry in Siam on UK Pacific 1.

Japan is now in a situation where taking French Indochina cost them 10 IPC even without involving the US. Japan will also abstain from taking Philippines and US Naval and air has plenty of time to bail out to safety.

UK Pacific and Anzac capture an extra 10 IPC between them.

The major downside is that the US cannot attack until turn 4, which is an eternity for the allied side.

If that is the path taken, the European side (both UK and Soviet) need to support India / put pressure elsewhere.

I do not like passively waiting for Japan to take over, but it’s a beast, very hard to take down or even slow down.

• @Omega1759 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

It’s definitely interesting with the, as I understand it aim to control the eastern provinces and also being able to help out the chilese with flexible air.

The only backside I can see is that Russia is not at war in the beginning. Japan can easily abstain from DOWing, although in OOB there’s no direct cost to it. But it also goes for the pressure on east Russia. Not sure it’s worth 12 IPC to dissuade that?

On the other hand it’s usually an easy income boost for Japan while denying Russia important income. Most important is to defend Moscow, if possible, and it might be better served with bids for the Atlantic and Med, since that should give UK resources to send up figs for the defense of Moscow from round 4.

The point of the artillery is make the stack a more potent offensive force. That forces Japan to keep a bit more air force in the north. All the sudden this big defensive stack has decent offense potential. As others have mentioned, you can’t actually go on offense until the 3rd Russian turn, but moving back all the stack on R2 (when feasible) can change J2 plans and marginally help elsewhere. You can also do this without the artillery, but the fear factor isn’t the same :).

By bidding two soviet fighters and sending them to Yunnan, it’s very likely going to prevent a J1. The key is whether there’s a way to create another distraction to prevent a J2 while causing sufficient losses. Only the Soviets or Chinese can create this distraction.

The problem is that Japan has a pretty low incentive of obstructing the northern russian troops. The land units are more needed down south anyway. That’s why I believe that those art in the northern provinces are a nice touch, but not really called for.

• @Omega1759 said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Sorry, not FIC, since China can’t go there. Only comes pressure when the brits enter Yunnan. That’s a clear weakness of this strategy.

Potentially reckless strategy, but spices things up:

Add a mech infantry in Burma and attack the 2 Japanese infantry in Siam on UK Pacific 1.

Japan is now in a situation where taking French Indochina cost them 10 IPC even without involving the US. Japan will also abstain from taking Philippines and US Naval and air has plenty of time to bail out to safety.

UK Pacific and Anzac capture an extra 10 IPC between them.

The major downside is that the US cannot attack until turn 4, which is an eternity for the allied side.

If that is the path taken, the European side (both UK and Soviet) need to support India / put pressure elsewhere.

I do not like passively waiting for Japan to take over, but it’s a beast, very hard to take down or even slow down.

Hehe, that’s fun, but will not happen here. ;)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@trulpen cool! Do we have a final bid then? Can we let gamer work on his opening? :)

@trulpen cool! Do we have a final bid then? Can we let gamer work on his opening? :)

The bid will be finalized on Wednesday evening UTC+2.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I have posted my essay on Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies. I hope this helps you to win more games! Except against me of course. :)

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/35286/warfare-principles-of-axis-allies-by-andrewaagamer

• @AndrewAAGamer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

I have posted my essay on Warfare Principles of Axis & Allies. I hope this helps you to win more games! Except against me of course. :)

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/35286/warfare-principles-of-axis-allies-by-andrewaagamer

A very nice read!

With that said, folks, it’s only about 12 hours left until the bid here is finalized. Don’t hesitate to bring in your valued opinions.

• I can inform you guys that I’ve looked into the situation of the second bid-alternative when it comes to round 2. What I can see it’s impossible to hold it against full force japanese aggression. That means that bid would be more or less wasted.

If noone comes up with something ingenious these couple of hours, it looks like subs and figs for the Atlantic and Med is our best bet.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I support the decision to attack the Germans and Italians, that is my general preference. Just providing some analysis of the other options.
    I believe the bid @trulpen is suggesting is

sub 62
    sub 91
    sub 98
    sub 106
    sub 110
    fig Scotland
    fig Malta

with really the fighter in Malta as only debatable point, so here goes.
    With the units around UK, there is no sane attack G1 for both SZ110 & SZ111, so you will have an extra fighter from UK to conduct the Taranto raid. You agree that SeaLion is sub-optimal so not really worried about the loss of defensive fighter to the Home Islands. Sea Lion really isn’t on the table anyway since probably half of the Home Fleet is safe. So don’t need the fighter. I like the transport in SZ71 + 1 inf Anglo Sudan to accelerate the takedown of Africa.
    The transport is used to activate Persia. The Med transport can now take inf + art to attack Ethiopia with 2 inf in Anglo Sudan + mob inf. Add the Indian Cruiser for kicks.

• Good thoughts!

I also like the tr in z71.

I’ll look at it again, but I’d like to be able to go in on Taranto with as little fleet and as much air as possible. Saving the ac is precious. If saving also the cr in z98 while still pulling off Taranto, UK has splendid prospects in Africa on the long term. Getting 4 figs into z97 is pretty heavy.

I don’t worry too much about the Ethiopians. Actually, I’d rather have them spread out and taking UK-territories, so that Russia can have those precious Axis-areas instead (not sure that’s a viable strategy though, since Russia needs 100 % to the defence of Moscow). :)

This is why I rather leaned towards the fig in Malta than the tr in z71. What say you?

• Only problem of course is if Italy doesn’t get two hits. Then the ac has to go there. So perhaps plan for only one fig from UK?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Ok, I see that. Yes, I would plan on only 1 ftr. Still get 90-10 attack against full scramble, but sending 2 would probably force the CV into saving the surviving fighter.

• We’re getting to a close. I’m actually still considering the tr in z71. The idea is to hit Iraq UK1.

I have another idea though, which is to try and take Iraq with the Soviets. Then UK will try and strafe the 3 iraqian inf, and there’s no rush with that job.

You guys have to talk me out of it. ;)

• Another option is the tank and art for Tobruk. I prefer to take that stack out more than Ethiopia.

• Also, I believe Taranto not to be critical. It’s good, but also costly. The italian fleet can usually be sunk later on with better prospects. Killing Tobruk seriously hampers Italy in Africa. And if UK got a lot of nice fleet alive after the german onslaught, then stacking up in z92 with a fresh ab is a pretty nice option.

• @trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Another option is the tank and art for Tobruk. I prefer to take that stack out more than Ethiopia.

Which was suggested by @majikforce.

• I’ll give you a few more minutes.

This is the bid on the table now:

sub 62
    sub 91
    sub 98
    sub 106
    sub 110
    fig Scotland
    tank Egypt
    art Alexandria

• The bid is hereby finalized.