Battleship/cruiser with destroyer vs submarine

• Hello, I’am just started with playing A&A 1940 and have one question.

When a cruiser (or battleship) and a destroyer attacks an enemy submarine and both attacking ships roles a dice with number 3.
    Normally the battleship placed a hit and the destroyer not. In my case, can you say:

1. Only the destroyer can hit a submarine and not a battleship so the submarine stays alive, or:
    2. It’s also aloud to put the hit of de battleship on the submarine (because there is a destroyer) and the submarine is killed.

Thanks in advance

• '21 '20

Option 2, a destroyer present allows everything to hit submarines including planes. :+1:

• @Moller Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

The attacking destroyer prevents the submarine from submerging, so the submarine must fight.
    The Battleship can hit the submarine.

@WindowWasher said in Battleship/cruiser with destroyer vs submarine:

Option 2, a destroyer present allows everything to hit submarines including planes. :+1:

Not really. The destroyer only prevents the submarine from submerging and forces it into the battle.
    Every sea unit with an attack value can hit a fighting submarine, regardless of the presence of a destroyer.
    The presence of a destroyer enables planes to hit submarines, that part is correct.

• @WindowWasher said in Battleship/cruiser with destroyer vs submarine:

a destroyer present allows everything to hit submarines including planes

as a general rule… if there is a destroyer, everything can hit subs and they cant submerge, is what i meant to say…

• @Panther you means that without a destroyer every attacking ship can attack a submarine? The only advance for the submarine is that he can submerge before the battle but when he mis, the submarine can be attacked by a cruiser (for example?) I tought without a destroyer you can’t detect a submarine so you can’t attacked the submarine.

• '21 '20

@Moller
    No Destroyer Present: A sub cannot be hit by air, can sneak attack, and can submerge whenever it wants too
    EX: A sub is attacked by a battleship, a cruiser and a carrier with 2 fighters. The submarine can choose whether to fight or not because there is not destroyer present to force it to fight.

Destroyer Present: A sub can be hit by air, cannot sneak attack, and cannot submerge.
    EX: a Sub is attacked by a Battleship, Cruiser, destroyer, and a carrier with 2 fighters. The sub cannot submerge and must fight. The sub also can be hit by the air units on the carrier, but it cannot ever hit them back.

• @WindowWasher thanks a lot

• @Moller A submarine is a sea unit with an attack value and a defense value. What makes it special are its “Special Abilities”/unit characteristics as described by the rulebook(s) and (partly) outlined by @WindowWasher above.
    Those are:

• Surprise Strike (X)
    • Submersible (X)
    • On Station
    • Treat Hostile Sea Zones as Friendly (X)
    • Doesn’t Block Enemy Movement
    • Can’t Hit Air Units
    • Can’t Be Hit by Air Units (X)

An enemy destroyer cancels those unit characteristics marked with an (X).

@Moller said in Battleship/cruiser with destroyer vs submarine:

I tought without a destroyer you can’t detect a submarine so you can’t attacked the submarine.

This is not part of the rules, sorry.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m