• U-505 and LT04, good job.  :mrgreen:

Which state has the lowest highest point?

The answer would be Death Valley, California.  It is the “lowest point” by elevation in the United States, while also having the “highest” water boiling point, due to it’s low elevation.

Now for some math…

Question #7 - Thermodynamics

It is often suggested (by me) that chewing ice cubes is an effective weight loss tool.  Is this actually true?  Provide a quantitative answer of Calorie ‘loss’ per ice cube.

Some useful information:

Temperature of Ice Cube: 0 C or 32 F
    Weight of Ice Cube: 21 grams
    Volume of Ice Cube: 3/4 fluid ounces
    Body Temperature: 37 C or 98.6 F

• 2007 AAR League

Louisiana is a good answer. I’m going to go with my state of Mississippi.

@TG:

Now for some math…

It is often suggested (by me) that chewing ice cubes is an effective weight loss tool.  Is this actually true?  Provide a quantitative answer of Calorie ‘loss’ per ice cube.

Some useful information:

Temperature of Ice Cube: 0 C or 32 F
    Weight of Ice Cube: 21 grams
    Volume of Ice Cube: 3/4 fluid ounces
    Body Temperature: 37 C or 98.6 F

Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

• Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

:? … Uh yeah what he said.  :?

• Why are you mixing metric weight with imperial volume? And does the answer have to include the calories lost from chewing and/or processing the water or just from the heat required to melt the ice?

About the conversions: Deal with it.  :-P

As far as calories goes, you may make any assumptions you like, as long you state them in advance.  In this case, the calories lost from chewing is minuscule compared to maintaining your body temperature.

• 2007 AAR League

Right right. Volume is irrelevant here because we aren’t talking about water, yet. We are talking about ice, which is less dense than water so the mass is the only thing that matters.

And an aside here. God, base ten and the metric system are so beautiful in their simplicity. I live in the US and it pains me that we are so stubborn about adopting it. 1 liter of water weighs 1 Kilogram. 10 millimeters to a centimeter. What’s not to like?

OK.

1 Moses cube=21 grams=.021 kilograms=.021 liters of water.

To raise the temperature of the Moses cube(0 C) to the temperature of the human body(37 C) it takes an increase of 37 degrees C.

It takes 1 calorie to increase the temperature of 1 liter of water by 1 degree Centigrade therefore it takes .021 calories to raise the temperature of .021 liters of water 1 degree Centigrade.

To raise .021 liters of water by 37 degrees Centigrade it takes:

(37 degrees)(.021 calories)= 0.777 calories

If you ate 1 kilogram of ice you would burn 37 calories. And pee a lot.

• Most Impressive.  Most people I pose this question to won’t even attempt an answer.  My answer is similar to yours but lets see:

Solution:

1.  You have 21 grams or 0.021 kilograms of ice

2.  The temperature difference between an ice cube and your internal body temperature is: 98.6 F - 32 F ~ 67 F

3.  It takes about 1 Calorie to raise 1 kilogram of water 2 F.  So,  67 F / 2 ~ 34 Cal/kg

4.  One ice cube consumes about (34 Cal/kg)(0.021 kg) = 0.714 Calories

Which is very close to U-505’s answer.

5.  But what if you consider latent heat of fusion?  (All materials require extra energy to transition from a solid to a liquid)  Does this change the answer much?

6.  The heat of fusion of water is ~ 0.08 Cal/gram.  So, (0.08 Cal/gram)(21 gram) = 1.68 Calories(!)

7.  Every ice cube consumes about 1.68 + 0.714 = 2.4 Calories!
    Some useful information:

-  To raise 1 kg of ice it takes 37 + 80 Cal = 117 Calories

-  Running a mile (6 mph) burns ~500 Calories

-  You get almost the equivalent workout chewing a liter of ice cubes as you do riding on a stationary bike for an hour.  (117 Cal vs. 177 Cal)

-  Here are some common exercises in terms of calorie burned per hour:  http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

-  If you can consider yourself an athletic “Ice Cruncher” you could lose more weight chewing ice than actually working out.  You would then have to worry about water weight.

(Yes, Moses is a fitness guru)

• Now that I’ve racked your brains, lets try something more ‘fun.’

**Question #8 - Video Game Knowledge **

What is the only Nintendo video game to feature Mario as the chief antagonist in the game?

Get your answers in quickly!  After this, there are two questions left to go!

• i dont know for sure, the only mario game i played was mario kart, was it wario

• Just to wrap up this question

Each state has a highpoint and some of these highest points (or elevations) are lower than others. The correct answer in Delaware!

• 2007 AAR League

i think i know! i’m sure i know.  crap well how about donkey kong jr.  i probably played every nintendo game ever.  well maybe not every, but pretty close.

• @Audacity:

Just to wrap up this question

Each state has a highpoint and some of these highest points (or elevations) are lower than others. The correct answer in Delaware!

Nope, Florida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill

• Well leave it to Wikipedia to have more info than my two atlases!

Isn’t there a mountain of garbage somewhere in Florida thats higher?

• @balungaloaf:

i think i know! i’m sure i know.  crap well how about donkey kong jr.  i probably played every nintendo game ever.  well maybe not every, but pretty close.

Damn, you beat me!!

• balungaloaf, A winner is You!

“Donkey Kong Junior is a 1982 arcade-style platform video game by Nintendo.  Over the course of the 1980s, it was also released for various console systems.  Its eponymous star, Donkey Kong Junior, is trying to rescue his father Donkey Kong, who has been captured by Mario, in his only appearance as an antagonist in a video game.”

Question #9 - Paradoxes

Two wooden creates, Box 1 and Box 2, are on a table.  Box 1 contains $1,000.  Box 2 contains $0 or $1 million.  You do not know which.  You have two options:

1. Take what is in both creates.
    2. Take only what is in Box 2.

At an unspecified moment before the test, Mr. Toad has made a prediction about what option you will choose.  Mr. Toad’s predictions are “most certainly” correct.  If Mr. Toad expects you to choose both creates, he will leave Box 2 empty.  If he expects you to take only Box 2, he will put $1 million in it.  If he expects you will randomize your choice by, say, flipping a coin, he will leave Box 2 empty.  In each case Box 1 contains $1,000.

What should you do?

• After reading the information several times I choose # 1.  Just because of the last sentence: “In each case Box 1 contains $1,000.”

So it doesn’t matter what Mr. Toad decided is or is not in box # 2, in chooseing the only option with box # 1 I the chooser would walk away with $1,000.

So #1 is my answer.

LT

• 2007 AAR League

I would choose option 2.

If mister Toad’s predictions are “most certainly” correct, and he expects me to take box 2 only(which I did), then he has left $1 milloin dollars it it.

I suppose it all depends on what your definition of “most certainly” is. But I’m pretty sure it’s better than average.

• Do you think that Mr. Toad “most certainly” predicted us to be divided on the vote?

• 2007 AAR League

take box number one, pull a firearm on toad, and force march him to the location where he keeps the million that goes into box number 2.  then dispatch of toad.

• Man, that question just makes me think of the Sicilian scene in “The Princess Bride.”

Moral of the story: you can’t win a land war in Asia.

• i would most likely choose the two box’es, either i would have $1,001,000 or $1000

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m