Questions & Comments for Young Grasshopper

• Sponsor

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS FOR YG?..

1YZFJlEP-zt8TFGoHIQVPkDDoVl3l38ZhcWNGUnHVAAa4F8uNDZOPHYWSDfXLJUD.jpg

• Sponsor

Please use this open forum thread for any questions or comments you may have for me.

Cheers,
    YG

• A question for Mr. YG,

Thanks for all you add to the community! You have brought much knowledge and joy to our A&A sessions. You are a legend.

My buddy and I have been playing with your tournament rules, and I got a question for you. It is quite different having PAC UK go before Japan. I’m wondering what was the thinking behind that, to stunt the J1? I tried a J1 in our current game, and the Yunnan stack has gotten ridiculous with both PAC UK and China. I usually go J3, but I was getting stuck there anyways when he would DOW me PAC UK3 before I would have the chance on J3.

Did you consider EUR UK going 2nd, then PAC UK 4th (after Japan)? The first rounds would perhaps be more “by the book”, maybe you were trying to really switch it up?

We’ve had a blast with the rules though, thanks so much. We dream about attending one of your tournaments someday, we looking at our games as potential preparations.

Hope you’re staying safe, much love!

Peace brother, from Syracuse NY.

• Sponsor

@SeaZone91

Hey SZ91… Thanks for the comments, and I really appreciate your kind compliments. The idea behind allowing UK Pacific going second in the order of play has everything to do with player assignments. In the adjusted order of play there can always be two players going at once with little to no interference with each other. This is a huge asset for games with 4 or more players because a game can move fast and end in a reasonable time frame. However, I understand the issues with balance if UK Pacific goes first, I’m working on my Academy Edition which has the same order of play and some care is required. I’ll be looking at my tournament rules soon and will get back to you about that Burma road build up problem. Thanks again, chat soon.
    YG

• '20 '16

Hi, YG! Years ago, I bought cards for your new rules. Then you made some changes, and found a new card provider, which was much cheaper, so I bought another deck. Are those cards still available? I don’t remember where I bought them. I assume you have made further rule changes. Have your card deck(s) been updated accordingly?

• Sponsor

@CaptainNapalm
    Hey Captian Napalm, right now in the summer of 2020 I have been finalizing all my past work regarding card decks for playing axis and allies. I just finished a card deck gaming accessory for playing OOB 1940 Global, which is a collection of cards that has been available in the past through various websites. However, I’m offering them once again on the best website for purchasing my decks at makeplayingcards.com… over the course of this summer, it is my goal to also finalize the G40 house rule deck that you are inquiring about, and make that deck available on the same site. It’s true that some of the rules have changed, and a new deck of cards will be needed, especially because I’m hosting another tournament here in Toronto in October of 2021. Those cards will be called Grasshopper’s T40 Deck (tournament rules) which will include my victory token cards and new research and developments. Look for this deck in my online store at make playing cards, as I’m aiming to get those completed before this winter (needs play testing). Thanks and I hope I answered your question. here is a link to my online store…

https://www.makeplayingcards.com/sell/young-grasshopper?fbclid=IwAR3QT2jb9Tftv-FMkYMtH1fpT9LSXck_DwIJNVluxXa7gofnHlZZoN3Pqn0YG

• '20 '16

Lend Lease Amur - 1 Artillery
    The Allies control Aleutian Islands, and Russia controls Amur (must not have deployed units into China, free artillery to be placed in Amur)

Does Russia get this from turn one, on, unless they go into China? Or is there an “at war” restriction?

• '20 '16

Hi, YG. Any thought of allowing the alliance to pick its fortune of war breakthrough, rather than relying on a D6 roll?

If you want to bring some unknown into it, you could do a D6 die roll, AFTER picking which one they want, and the die roll would determine whether it went into effect the following turn, or not for 2 turns.

I don’t like the uncertainty, so just throwing that out there as a possible compromise, if you see the value of the D6 and uncertainty.

• @CaptainNapalm I would like to give you a straight answer, but this NO more than all the others continues to be play tested and refined… Check in on the rules forum thread for any modifications.

• @CaptainNapalm I’ve never liked the ability to hand pick your breakthrough, simply because it will expose any chart as to the best 1 or 2 it has to offer, and perfectly balanced charts are impossible IMO.

However, I may allow 2 dice to be rolled so the side can chose one result they like best (of course if they roll doubles, then they’re stuck with that result).

• @CaptainNapalm said in Questions & Comments for Young Grasshopper:

Hi, YG. Any thought of allowing the alliance to pick its fortune of war breakthrough, rather than relying on a D6 roll?

If you want to bring some unknown into it, you could do a D6 die roll, AFTER picking which one they want, and the die roll would determine whether it went into effect the following turn, or not for 2 turns.

I don’t like the uncertainty, so just throwing that out there as a possible compromise, if you see the value of the D6 and uncertainty.

To expand on my last reply, here are the updated Russian NOs…

SOVIET UNION:

Military Advancement - 10 IPCs
    The Soviet Union controls 3 of the following 4 territories: Finland, Poland, Slovakia Hungary, and/or Romania

National Prestige - 5 IPCs
    There are no Allied units on any originally controlled Russian territories (must be at war with the European Axis powers)

Lend Lease Archangel - 1 Artillery
    The Allies control London, and Russia controls Archangel (Russia must be at war with European Axis powers, free artillery unit to be placed in Archangel)

Lend Lease Caucasus - 1 Artillery
    The Allies control Persia, and Russia controls Caucasus (Russia must be at war with European Axis powers, free artillery unit to be placed in Caucasus)

Lend Lease Amur - 1 Artillery
    The Allies control San Francisco, and Russia controls Amur (America must be at war with Japan, free artillery unit to be placed in Amur)

• Hello YG,

First, your passion for this game is awesome. Always keep it up!

Second, I was wondering if you planned to have your board available for sale at any point again (either through HBG or some other seller).

Cheers!

• @kalzedar Thanks for the comments… what is it specifically you mean about “my board for sale”, not sure what you mean simply because a great deal of what I share has always been for free.

• @kalzedar Sorry, but that project is on hold… I’ll ask Doug at HBG to bring it down, right now I’m 100% focused on my 2021 tourbament.

• @Young-Grasshopper All right no problem. I saw it when I was browsing the site and thought it looked really cool. Best of luck with your tournament prep

• Hey YG,

I saw the updated tourney rules and it looks to me like you addressed my concern above, right on! No DOW or act of war until beginning of round 3 combined with the minor IC in Calcutta until war is genius. The other tweaks (China mobilization, Dutch Island Rules, NOs, Breakthroughs) are genuinely exciting as well.

My buddy and I haven’t played in a bit, and will be trying to utilize the new rules when we pick it back up (hopefully soon). I was just wondering about the map. I use the OOB boards unfortunately, are the spaces themselves going to be changing on the tourney map?

Thanks for all you do!
    Stay safe!

• Sponsor

@SeaZone91 Hey SZ91, Thanks for the comments… I think we’ve got a nice mix of advantages vs. disadvantages concerning this new UK Pacific nation. The oob game board will work just fine if you plan to play these rules, and I should have the map file up again in a couple weeks, but to answer your question about the map file… there are no spaces modified, added, or removed from the oob board. Cheers

• In your tournament rules for G40, one of your Allied Victory Tokens is for “diplomacy: controlling all pro-allied territories on the map”.

If the Axis were to attack a single strict neutral, all of the strict neutrals become “pro-allies”. Would the Allies then need to make diplomatic relations with all of them (Mongolia, Mozambique, Afghanistan etc) in order to get that token?

I get that it might not happen often. But in a game where ties go to the allies (due to attrition), I can see circumstances where this will have to be answered.

• @newzealandnich no, but that’s a great point that will need clarification… so all pre-game pro-neutrals (or something like that).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m