• One question I have in V3 is when exactly do the coastal artillery get to shoot at the boats passing through in a narrow crossing. In the section 12.10 it says that a coastal artillery may shoot up to a maximum of three shots per coastal artillery at passing enemy ships at narrow crossings. Do they shoot when a ship enters the seazone, when it leaves the seazone? If a group of ships were just sitting in that seazone do they get to shoot at the fleet each turn? I want to place one coastal artillery in both Picardy and Belgium because it prevents marines from combat moving across the narrow crossings from London, but I couldn’t figure out how they work in this circumstance.

• From what I can read, Coastal Artillery dont prevent marines from attacking across naval crossings.

"Each Coastal Artillery gets one Defense roll at “3” per Attacking ship Shore Bombarding and/or unloading units in the amphibious Assault up to a maximum of three shots. The amphibiously assaulting player chooses casualties as normal.

At narrow crossings, Coastal Artillery may shoot at each enemy surface ship at “3” that passes through (up to a maximum of three shots per turn"

Technically when marines combat move across a narrow crossing, this doesn’t count as an amphibious assault, and even if it did, the costal battery just gets to shoot at them.

And in regards to ships crossing those narrow crossings, I would argue that the battery would take shots when a ship moves from one side of the zone to the opposite sea zone on the other side of the crossing and vice versa. For example, i would say that if the ship enters the english channel from the west, and ends its turn there, if on following turns it :

• Returns west, it doesnt get fired upon
    • Continues east, it does.
    • Stays in the zone, nothing happens.

• That’s an interesting idea. We were thinking just when some ships enter the seazone to prevent gaming the system but I don’t know. But I thought they do prevent units from crossing based on 1.20, “the presence of enemy warships, coastal artillery or aircraft on maritime air patrol in the sea zones prevent the crossing.”

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I just went and read the rule. My gut reaction was that this was in reference to a combat move into the territory where a coastal artillery is located, but that doesn’t seem to be the case, as those rules for combat are explained directly above.

I’d read that rule to mean anytime an enemy ship enters the sea zone adjacent to a coastal artillery. They’d probably have to wait to finish their movement through the narrow straight, let the 3 shots get taken, then continue their move.

With that said, it would probably be unwise to leave your ships in a sea zone adjacent to a coastal artillery, as the next turn they’d get 3 more shots at you.

• '18 '17 '16

I just verified with the rules guy. You would get up to 3 shots @3 at ships passing through a narrow crossing. If you move a ship to that zone or you are just sitting in that zone then there are no coastal artillery shots (unless of course they try to amphibiously assault the land zone). I assume that’s because you don’t have to cross in front of the narrow crossing to be in the same sea zone. Passing through the zone would mean you would have to pass through the narrow crossing.

• @GeneralHandGrenade Thanks GHG. I guess I personally still find that a bit contradictory? You first say “You would get up to 3 shots @3 at ships passing through a narrow crossing”. But then say “If you move a ship to that zone or are just sitting in that zone then there are no coastal artillery shots”.

To me that’s saying two different things for the exact same scenario. Am I missing something?

Or is the rule just that if your ship passes through the zone, you get the shots, but if you end your movement there, they don’t? Like, the US has a ship starting in SZ 24, moves to SZ 25 and the narrow straight there (pretend there’s a coastal gun on, say, German owned Picardy), and ends their movement in SZ 11, the Picardy Coastal Gun would get to shoot. But if the US ships ended their move on SZ 25 they would not get to shoot?

That would seem very odd to me, personally.

The 12.10 rule reads:

"Each Coastal Artillery gets one Defense roll at “3” per Attacking ship Shore
    Bombarding and/or unloading units in the amphibious Assault up to a maximum of
    three shots. The amphibiously assaulting player chooses casualties as normal.

At narrow crossings, Coastal Artillery may shoot at each enemy surface ship at “3” that
    passes through (up to a maximum of three shots per turn)."

What’s the point of that second paragraph if not to differentiate from the shots they get specifically for an amphibious assault?

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

I’ve had this scenario in a game and what work best for us was anytime a ship came into the sea zone with the narrow passage and stopped or passed through the passage into the next sea zone got shot at passing through narrow. If amphibious landing then the ships got shot at when they came into sea zone with narrow.

This way ships get shot at one time and not confusing. Just trying to help out.

• @GeneralHandGrenade so in that case this would only happen when passing through the English channel, Danish straits, or possibly going from sz 50 to 51 as the only path directly goes through a narrow crossing line, but narrow crossings in Hainan, Ceylon and Japan wouldn’t because there are either alternate paths between the seazones or no paths that go directly through the narrow crossing path. Thank you for your help!

• @SS-GEN I’m with you I think, SS. I think the rule implies that if enemy ships move through or stop in the sea zone with coastal guns, the guns get the shots. That’s how I’d play it with how it reads anyways.

And that would make sense. If the point of the narrow passage is to signify that it’s just that, NARROW, then it makes sense to say that naval guns would get those shots, as the ships are passing close enough through where they couldn’t stay out of range.

• @Chris_Henry I gave you the correct rule interpretation, Chris. I was speaking to the guy writing the rules at the same time I was posting my earlier reply. If you choose to change it make sure that you tell the others playing with you that you’re using a house rule and not an official rule. There’s nothing wrong with using house rules as long as your clear with everyone.

• @GeneralHandGrenade Not sure I follow? I didn’t think I posted a house rule in anyway. In fact, I thought I was echoing what you laid out?

I’d ask you a clarification question on your post that went unanswered (not saying that’s an issue, but that might be the disconnect), as the rule as you laid out still seemed ambiguous.

Can you expound? The way you laid it out reads to me like it’s saying two different things?

Thanks,

Chris

• @Chris_Henry My apologies if I didn’t explain it clearly enough.
    If you move into the zone with a coastal artillery and a narrow crossing and stop your movement, then the coastal artillery gets no shots at you.
    As long as you don’t do an amphibious landing in that zone the coastal artillery doesn’t get a shot.
    If you move out of a sea zone that contains a coastal artillery and a narrow crossing the coastal artillery gets no shot.
    The only way a coastal artillery gets a shot at passing ships that are not doing an amphibious assault is if they are passing through that sea zone with a narrow crossing on their way to another sea zone on the same turn.

The example that started this thread is in Sea Zone 25. If you look at that sea zone you can see that it narrows somewhere in the middle if it. In reality that’s a large body of water that narrows in a small section of it. If you passed through that section of the sea zone then you would be in range of the coastal artillery as you passed through that section. If your destination is that sea zone then you don’t necessarily have to park your ships in front of the coastal artillery. You could be north of it or south of it where there is no narrow crossing., out of range of the coastal artillery. For better or worse, that’s the intention of and proper interpretation of the rule. I hope that helps.

• @GeneralHandGrenade Got it, thanks GHG! Sorry if came off as combative, was certainly not the intention if I did. I just wanted to be sure on the rule myself too! I see the logic, will take some getting used to for sure to remember that, as it might not be considered intuitive, but I definitely get the thought process! Thanks for that!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m