• I’m confused about the combat phase when attacking with the battle strip. Let’s say I have and infantry on attack. Does this mean I much roll a 1 to attack anything from the other side or that the other side must roll a 1 in order to kill my infantry?

This is for 1941 but I assume it it probably the same for all. Thank you in advance for your respon

• @KMW7 said in Combat phase number meaning:

I’m confused about the combat phase when attacking with the battle strip. Let’s say I have and infantry on attack. Does this mean I much roll a 1 to attack anything from the other side or that the other side must roll a 1 in order to kill my infantry?

This is for 1941 but I assume it it probably the same for all. Thank you in advance for your response

Let me drop a picture on you, so I can explain what’s going on (this is from A&A 1942, but the theory works the same regardless of edition) :
    picture of the battle strip from A&A 1942

So you have an “Attacker” side and a “Defender” side. The different units might have the same values for attack and defense or they might have different values for attack and defense. For example, Battleships attack and defend at a 4 and Fighter units attack at a 3 and defend on a 4.

What those numbers mean is that when a player rolls a die (which would be a six-sided die when playing with standard rules) to attack with a fighter unit, that player scores a hit if that player rolls a 1 or a 2 or a 3. If that player rolls a 4 or a 5 or a 6, that unit does not score a hit. When a player rolls a die to defend with a fighter unit, then that player scores a hit if that player rolls a 1 or a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If that player rolls a 5 or a 6, that unit does not score a hit.

What does it mean to “score a hit”? It means that the other player must assign a unit under their control to fall in battle. Every hit takes away one of the other side’s units. When the attacker scores hits on the defender, those units are supposed to be moved to the other side of the “Casualty Zone” strip. This designates units that will get to “return fire” during the defender’s round but which will go away before the next round of fire from the attacker. When a defender scores hits on the attacker, those units are destroyed right away.

Unless you are playing with house rules, the decision of which units are destroyed by hits rolled on the dice belongs to the power that is suffering the hits.

So, lengthy explanation. I hope it answers all of your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper

Thanks you so much for your response this was very helpful. I completely understand.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m