• hey all.  first post, so i hope this hasn’t been covered, but do people have suggestions for keeping the 3 sections of board together??

• If the table is uneven, then use plexiglass

• I was hoping for some creative ideas like the old Diplomacy board.  It had little plastic sleeves that help the board together, but didn’t leave any marks.

So, if anyone finds any good solutions please holler.

• Go to any office supply store, KMart, Walmart, Target, etc, and get some steel binder clips.  The 1 inch size are the best for holding boards together.  I have been using them for years with my various board games.  A box should cost you about $5 or so.  You can also order them online from Quill and other office supply dealers.

Picture 1.png

• @timerover51:

Go to any office supply store, KMart, Walmart, Target, etc, and get some steel binder clips.  The 1 inch size are the best for holding boards together.  I have been using them for years with my various board games.  A box should cost you about $5 or so.  You can also order them online from Quill and other office supply dealers.

i used those too, however, i found that the center still bulged a little, so just put something on each end to raise the sides up just a tad and the center will even out.

• ok heres what you do.

tape the back of the map with a cloth tape so the maps are lined up.

Other than that you will be gluing the map sections of one large pasteboard or wood and storing it in closet.

• The way to go  :lol:

• DONK!  Coulda had a V-8…

The cloth tape is a good one.  Thanks IL.

• Wood can warp. I’m thinking of glueing it to sheet metal.

• '10

I made a permanent fixture to my game table.  Have a large sheet of glass over it so drinks/chips etc don’t mess up the board.

• After I print out a larger map, I will use a thin sheet of plexi glass from the hardware store to cover everything and keep the map down.

• yea that’s it. I wonder which larger map? Post pictures.

• Craig suggested using those plastic binders (the kind you would use for a term paper or report); I bought some and tried it - works awesome!  Props to Craig!
    Thanks.

• That’s similiar to what they used in the Diplomacy game.  Thanks for the pointer.  I couldn’t figure out where I could get some of those bindings.

You’ve found them at an office supply store?

• @Bierwagen:

That’s similiar to what they used in the Diplomacy game.  Thanks for the pointer.  I couldn’t figure out where I could get some of those bindings.

You’ve found them at an office supply store?

Yeah, Office Max had them (Wal-Mart didn’t though - which suprised me).  I think they were $2.89 for 5.
    Thanks.

• @Craig:

While that will work, it does have the tendency to raise the edge of the map up, causing a bit of a bowl effect.

I will probably figure something else out.

Craig

Not to get too off topic, but my board (before the plastic binders) started to ‘curl’ at the edges causing a bowl effect.  Is Anyone else having this problem?  And if so, any suggestions as to how to fix it? 
    Thanks.

• I am going to try the binder clips. However, I had another idea that I might try.

On the backside of the boards, glue some thin refrigerator magnets. Then just find a few flat strips of metal that can be magnetized, and slap the board down on those suckers, line it up, done. Of course, if you don’t want to permanently modify your boards, then this wouldn’t be for you.

If I end up doing it, I’ll let you know how it goes.

• @Craig:

While that will work, it does have the tendency to raise the edge of the map up, causing a bit of a bowl effect.

I will probably figure something else out.

Craig

It’s not the cheapest, but probably the best in the long run for the board:

Plexiglass

Buy a sheet the size of the assembled map +2" or 3".  It should protect the map from wear, beer spills, and the extra 3" over size should rest on the table holding the three board pieces (and plexiglass) in place.

• @Craig:

I personally have no problem with that, but the better idea is one that can go along with the game anywhere.  The plexiglass solution isn’t portable.

People want an idea that can be placed inside the box and taken with them anywhere.

I beg to differ.  Us LAZY Americans certainly can schlep that around in our car.
    It wouldn’t be heavy and the board is not THAT big.

Again, for a better solution, you sometimes have to make sacrifices like cost or portability.
    Everybody always wants the lazy-mans way out, and often times, that’s not the best way.

Me, I will put the board under glass in my 8 foot gaming table.
    Then again, that board has only made one road trip… but it does fit in the back of my Dodge Durango.  It is in two pieces.

• I was thinking of using post it notes. Just turn them upside down, adhere half to each of the boards (underneath). When done simply remove, no damage to the boards.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m