• “…My friends, we have — we have come to the end of a long journey. The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly…”

“…To congratulate him [Obama] on being elected the next president of the country that we both love…”

“…In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving…”

“…This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight…”

“…I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president. And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties, but to believe, always, in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here…”

• Yes, that was a magnificent speech… better than Obama’s, I must admit. It’s just don’t expect this not to be a locked thread very soon.

• It should be locked, but we will see how it goes. Please no contentiousness.

• My canidate did not win. To speak the truth, I was not excited about my canidate, all excitement was lost in the primaries. With that said, I’m glad its all over. This election seemed endless.  :|

• @ABWorsham:

This election seemed endless.  :|

Hear hear…

• An endless source of intestering news :) Will have to find something else to follow now lol

• Fall not into the despair of hopelessness. Race towards the promise of hope. Don’t sit in the stands and watch the race. That is where you will find those without the courage to commit to something greater than themselves. Commit yourself to contribute to hope’s success. Then carry with you the certain knowledge and pride that you in some way large or small made the world a better place. Make Abraham Lincoln’s words of 145 years ago relevant in your life “…that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” Don’t just believe in your deliverance but create it yourself.

• Great speech for sure, but I don’t he was that stand uppish during the campaign.  Could have been worse, but it was fairly dirty.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Just to prove my benevolence, I will refrain from speaking my mind.

I congratulate Barry-O on getting enough people to cast their votes for him to squeeze out a very tight victory (less than 1% in many states) and hope he can remember that he only got half the nation to vote for him, there’s a whole half the nation he does not represent, just like Georgy-B only had half the nation supporting him.

• I removed some offending posts recently posted.

Smacktard: i notice a pattern which i can now confirm… you only show up to retort Jennifer and attempt to get into fisticuffs out of some need to dominate whatever view she has. It leads to contentiousness and we cant have any of that.

I have no idea why you decide to ONLY show up when she posts, but your tone needs to stop.

Leave out political debate. This thread was just about the communication skills of our new president. Its not about how your rhetoric can overcome another.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Imperious:

This thread was just about the communication skills of our new president.

Too that I will most heartily agree.  When the man has the teleprompter and sticks to the speech written for him, he is a great orator.  I freely admit that President George Bush is not a great orator, he is also slammed with a Texan drawl which makes him sound a lot less intelligent than he really is.  Much like Senator Obama’s Midwest accent, coupled with a well written speech, makes him sound more intelligent than I think he is.  I am not saying either are intelligent or unintelligent, just that their accents and their ability to read someone else’s speech skews the public’s perception of their oratory abilities.

It should also be mentioned that a dumb man (that is one who cannot speak) can be every bit as good if not better than a man with great oratory skills when it comes to management, leadership and application of knowledge to solve problems.  Just like a pretty man wouldn’t make any better an underwater welder than a disfigured man would (assuming the disfigurement was cosmetic only.)

• @Imperious:

I removed some offending posts recently posted.

Smacktard: i notice a pattern which i can now confirm… you only show up to retort Jennifer and attempt to get into fisticuffs out of some need to dominate whatever view she has. It leads to contentiousness and we cant have any of that.

I have no idea why you decide to ONLY show up when she posts, but your tone needs to stop.

Too bad you missed the thread right next to this where I AGREE with Jen (there should have been a woman on the poll) and argue against Frimmel’s idea that women don’t have it that rough.

his thread was just about the communication skills of our new president. Its not about how your rhetoric can overcome another.

Actually, it’s about the communication skills of the guy who DIDN’T win (Mccain). I wrote a whole paragraph complimenting those skills, the graciousness of Bush during the transition phase, and expressing my sympathy for Obama and all the problems confronting him.

Somehow it got erased.

• Removed some posts in the interest that the thread does not get into a pillow fight or that Amon Sul didn’t deliberately set up the thread as a form of some backhanded insult.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m