• To follow up on a post I added to a different thread yesterday, here’s something I put together last evening: a home-made war rake, also known as a croupier stick. It’s made from a 12" x 3/8" wooden dowel (the arts and crafts section of my local dollar store sells them at $1.25 for a pack of six), a coffee stir stick sawn in half, and a drop of white glue. Unit cost: about 20 cents; assembly time: about five minutes (not counting the time it took for the glue to dry). The edge produced by the saw cut wasn’t completely smooth, so I used a nail file as improvised sandpaper to touch it up. To produce a good bond, I used two heavy books to press the components together while the glue was drying, since the glue company’s recommended practice of “clamping” is a bit difficult for an object that’s a foot long and less than half an inch wide. The end of the rake can be used either vertically to move individual sculpts, or horizontally to move massed formations of units. One pack of dowels and three stir sticks will produce six war rakes, which will serve the basic needs of a six-player game of Global 1940; two packs and six stir sticks will produce rakes for all nine Global player nations (with three spares which could be used for neutrals and for house-ruled additional player nations). An added refinement would be to paint the sticks in the appropriate national sculpt colours, if a deluxe version of the rakes is desired. War Rake.jpg

• Very nice, and I like the added touch of a national identity marker being inserted into the top of the rake. I notice that the map has a few national flags mounted on miniature flagpoles; I’m curious about what the distinction is (if any) between territories marked with these flags and territories having the usual round marker resting on the table.

• Looks to me like its representing the original Capital for the Country. Like France shows flag on Paris but its under Germany control.

• @SS-GEN yes they are my victory city markers, a nail, in a 1/2 wood plug (available at any hardware store) with a flag printed in colour. I use the same 1/2 plugs as flight stands, by adding a dress making pin, 1 inch for fighters, 1.25 inches for bombers, 1.5 inches for tactical fighters. If you cut the heads of the pins after hammering them into the plugs, you can heat them with a candle to lance the planes… works great.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m