• great strategy now everyone knows

• What if Germany bought 2 bombers on G1? now they have 3 and bomb UK?

• '10

…if you bomb Italy a few times it think it will change sides in turn 3.

• @marechallannes:

…if you bomb Italy a few times it think it will change sides in turn 3.

Your consideration is based on the rules? Or is another consideration bond to Italy behaviour in WW2?

• Marechalleannes, can you explain how Italy will change hands on turn 3?

On turn 2 your navy (massive enough to resist attacks from the German Luftwaffe) arrives in zone 12. (entrance to Mediterranean).

If its not a multinational navy, Germany or Italy could give themselves a full turn by sending a sacrificial navy unit to zone 13 (western Mediterranean).

Regardless, German infantry in France can be sent to Italy to reinforce along with every German plane along with Every German tank aside from those starting turn 3 in Poland, Finland or Norway.

• '10

There is no way to bring Italy down that fast.

I made a joke.

Italy joined the Allies in 1943.

If the allies are able to send three Bombers pert turn to Italy… That will a problem.

But you are not forced to repair you ICs. The maximum damage they can do to Italy is 12.
    With the “keep-the-mediterian-sea-allied-free bonus” Italy can build a new IC in balkan.
    Out of reach for allied bombers.

And every allied bomber means less allied ships. Remember: german subs are safe from british figthers. Transports can’t fight anymore.

A good strategy for germany is to support Italy with the attack on Egypt.

There is a german Transporter in southern france. It picks up 2 Infantrys from france to egypt and with the german forces from lybia and the german bomber support you kill or reduce the strong UK forces in egypt.

Now UK will not be able to attack lybia or fortify egypt with the transjordan units and Italy is able to invade egypt.

By the way:I think the italian battleship and 1 cruiser are needed to close the mediterian sea at gibraltar.

• Then the USA invades North Africa, sweeps thru No Africa and the dreams of a Fascist/Nazi Africa is gone!!

• '10

Did you read the sentence about the battleship and the cruiser at gibraltar? I am talking about turn 1, not turn 3 or 4.

… and that is what the Italians are for: To keep the allies out of the med sea and north africa.

• @Imperious:

I just read an article from someone who played AA50 at the GenCon. Allies won by bombing Germany so she could hardly afford infantry to defend the borders…

Seems like we have flaw already in AA50.

That cant be extrapolated from one game that nobody has seen before.

Playtesters have said the same thing though.

• Playtesters also helped create AAE and AAP and AAR and that didn’t work out that well either because they all need some fixes to make them more balanced leading to all sorts of rule systems and bids and tournament special rules.

• Ahh yes if i was italy i would wish for a better navy because italy has 12 ipcs and lets say +5 from med bonus even so thats not enough for some big ships and you need inf. at lybia every turn or else

• '10

That is right. Two infantrys or inf + artillery should be the basic production for the italians.

…and you need to cover your battleship and the cuisers from turn 2 or 3. Subs are cheap (6 IPCs).

But I think it is no solution to hide the impressive Italian fleet in the firts turns.

The germans will clear the north sea and northern atlantik from UK ships (especiallay UK destroyers) in the first turn. Teamwork is essential.

There is never enough money for big ships if two opponents concentrate on you. No matter if you german or italian.

• Agreed. Loosing a capital ship would take over 3 turns for Italy to replace (Assuming Italy bought nothing for three turns).

• Thas why i when i heard about this game and no pics where out yet i assumed italy would have 1 bship.

This looks accurate since the italian navy was the same size as the english navy in ww2 in the med. sea.
    The only problem i can see is german and italian turns are not the same and if you look at the setups more german troopz are in lybia and algeria this will be a problem!
    Italy and german troops will have to make an agreement like germany defends italy while italy goes all out on africa?

• What about having a law of diminishing returns… ie the more bombers you sent the less efficient they are individually. As the same thing can’t be blown up twice in a row, the first bombers hit the high value targest and then work their way down a list.  But its always beter to send more bombers as to concentrate the damage.

1 bomber = no penalty
    2 bombers = -1 (1)
    3 bombers = -3 (-1,-2)
    4 bombers  -6 (-1,-2,-3)

• good idea for house rules!

• '10

@italiansarecoming:

Thas why i when i heard about this game and no pics where out yet i assumed italy would have 1 bship.

This looks accurate since the italian navy was the same size as the english navy in ww2 in the med. sea.
    The only problem i can see is german and italian turns are not the same and if you look at the setups more german troopz are in lybia and algeria this will be a problem!
    Italy and german troops will have to make an agreement like germany defends italy while italy goes all out on africa?

Germany should attack egypt first. I posted this strategie on october 5th on this topic.

• Meh to lazy to look it up but german men in africa are a lot and can surly take on the brits!
    Anyways bombing italy is not that usefull since they do nto give such a big roll and will do very little. If i was usa and had 5 bombers i would go all out on germany even lets say they could make italy all germany. I see no piont in bombing the italians unless they are alive while there ally germany died.  Without germany italy your next and you would die

• Meh, if Italy takes Africa and can hold it, the game will be very hard for the allies.  Basically you then have a weakened UK, and two strong central European powers that would be able to take on Russia easily.  And if the US goes after Germany, Japan is going to have a free hand in China.  While China does provide some restiance, it will be the question of is there enough time for the allies to make a move, before China falls.

• ahhh i can see taking afirka wont change must jsut that great britian will hold a country for transports to go and italy fightign abck a lot

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m