• This is intriguing.

So consider this:

Assign an IPC value to each neutral.  Factories??
    Assign a military starting set up to each neutral i.e. Spain, Sweden, Turkey, …. etc ( I’d like to see some hypthetical values expressed here, Turkey’s the same as the suggested units for Spain?)

Set the units up at the beginning of the game.

Then IPC bids by each nation to control that neutral. Any nation may compete to deny that neutral to that bidder.

Or if there are no bids then the game begins as normal, but invasions of neutrals may take place and the winner takes control of that neutral country, it’s colonies if any, and it’s IPC’s and it’s remaining units.

I like this!

• I’d say no bids. We have enough of them with the axis bid. The neutral army is for preventing a easy and gamey conquer of the territory, as in classic. If you have to kill, say, 10 inf at Switzerland, maybe Germany will not take all the games, even if it gives you 1 ipc, same for Spain and allies, etc.

Maybe Switzerland should be totally impassable, as in Diplomacy …

• Maybe so, but anyway the speculation is fun.

Anyone, far more versed in this era and military knowledge, have any suggestions for the values of the several neutrals?

• @Constantinople:

Maybe so, but anyway the speculation is fun.

Anyone, far more versed in this era and military knowledge, have any suggestions for the values of the several neutrals?

Considering that Spain had just been devastated by the Spanish Civil War, and was in no shape to do anything, a Zero IPC rating is probably appropriate, along with an immediate outbreak of a second Spanish Civil War.  A repeat of what happened when the French tried to take over Spain in 1808 seems likely.  All out, no quarter guerilla war, with the British happily supplying anyone who is fighting the Germans, which actually was likely to be everyone.  Then, of course, you have this minor matter of feeding everyone.  The US was shipping 700,000 tons of grain a year to Spain, simply to feed the populace.  Germany could not match that.  Hungry people tend to be very nasty.  Probably the best thing for this would be continually put two infantry in Spain every turn someone is occupying it, and force them to continually keeping fighting to keep it in control.

If Portugal is attacked, then both the UK and the US had contingency plans to immediately occupy the Azores, which would have been of enormous help in combating the U-boat attacks in the Mid-Atlantic.  Overall, the net gain would be for the Allies, big time.  And at best, 1 IPC to the occupier.  Angola and Mozambique would be the real prizes.

With respect to Turkey, the British were in staff discussions even before the war with the Turks, and were supplying them with military equipment as much as possible.  When the US entered the war, the US started supplying equipment as well.  The Turks had backed the Germans in WW1 to their great loss, and were not really interested in getting used again. Probably figure 4 infantry, an artillery, probably one fighter, and a naval ship, with the infantry defending at 3.  Require a transport to get troops across the Straits, so for any attack at good odds, you are going to need more than one transport.

Switzerland, forget it. No one is going to attack Switzerland. If for some really bizarre reason, someone wanted to, figure 10 infantry in Switzerland, and the attacking force cannot use aircraft, artillery, or armor to attack with.  And since the Swiss will be thoroughly dug in, they defend at 3.  Enjoy.

As for Sweden, why?  Again, it has to be an amphibious attack. Do not think about attacking from Norway over the mountains.  They had a good army, navy, and air force, and you are not going to pull off the surprise like in Norway.  Give them 3 infantry, 2 artillery, 1 armor, a fighter, a bomber, a cruiser, and some form of pre-emptive fire against any amphibious attempt.

• @timerover51:

Considering that Spain had just been devastated by the Spanish Civil War, and was in no shape to do anything, a Zero IPC rating is probably appropriate, along with an immediate outbreak of a second Spanish Civil War.  A repeat of what happened when the French tried to take over Spain in 1808 seems likely.  All out, no quarter guerilla war, with the British happily supplying anyone who is fighting the Germans, which actually was likely to be everyone.  Then, of course, you have this minor matter of feeding everyone.  The US was shipping 700,000 tons of grain a year to Spain, simply to feed the populace.  Germany could not match that.  Hungry people tend to be very nasty.  Probably the best thing for this would be continually put two infantry in Spain every turn someone is occupying it, and force them to continually keeping fighting to keep it in control.

Interesting ideas here. I would not say Spain couldn’t produce anything. Few, but something. Franco sold wolframe to Germany, per example. 1 IPC is proper for Spain itself and 1 IPC for Portugal. 2 IPCs is good. Agreed with portuguese colonies stuff.

The guerrilla idea is cool, but it should work only for a Spain invaded by Germany. I don’t think many spanish would fight for Germany against an allied liberation force. Some falangists and such, maybe, but the bulk of the spanish people was tired of war. As much, a guerrilla against a invading Germany

• This is turning into house rules AGAIN…. :roll:

For god sakes Timerover please stop turning every thread into History lesson– followed by your house rules proposal. AA50 neutrals are void and considered just like AAR, where you don’t enter or fight in them. That’s it!

If you want to talk about Spain in 1808 and such make a thread in the History section and not AA50.

• Official Q&A

Imperious, Timerover wasn’t the one that started talking about house rules first in this thread.  It seems to be a group effort.

• Yes but im looking at the pattern in other threads. Its not the first time.

• Customizer

Portugal and Spain I accept, But Switzerland and Sweden?! 10 infantry in switzerland??? Wow… for that you would have to give Germany about 100 Infantry spread around… They didnt invade switzerland because it was a waste of time, not because of the force defending… The same with Sweden, they were getting the good stuff out of there, why invade if they collaborate…?!

Even Portugal and Spain were friendly with both the Axis and the Allies, Spain couldnt build such guerrilla… it was devastated.

• @Dagon81:

Portugal and Spain I accept, But Switzerland and Sweden?! 10 infantry in switzerland??? Wow… for that you would have to give Germany about 100 Infantry spread around… They didnt invade switzerland because it was a waste of time, not because of the force defending… The same with Sweden, they were getting the good stuff out of there, why invade if they collaborate…?!

Even Portugal and Spain were friendly with both the Axis and the Allies, Spain couldnt build such guerrilla… it was devastated.

Good arguments for keeping neutrals totally impassable, especially Switzerland.

For guerrilla … not only Spain, any country on the earth can “build” a guerrilla, even a devastated one. You only need a strong reason for people fighting and a weapon for each peasant. There were guerrilla actions in Spain in later 40s and first 50s, called Maquis, against Franco. Not succesfull, but still nasty for Franco for a brief time. It’s not the state who builds the guerrilla, usually is the very people who fights.

• Timerover, thanks for the ideas about the neutrals, I appreciate it.

Thanks too for the rationale behind your suggestions. The history you provide certainly explains your reasoning; as far as I am concerned keep it up. It allows us to test your suggestions and ideas against the history of that time!

• The rule in AA50 as well as AAR regulating neutrals is not according to history.
    Norway wanted to be neutral like in WW1, this worked fine, we even used our merchant fleet to help the allies during the WW1.

When UK layed mines in the Norwegian fjords, and the Altmark incident, then Hitler decided to secure the Norwegian neutrality politics with help of 300.000 German soldiers  :roll:

• @Craig:

@Imperious:

This is turning into house rules AGAIN…. :roll:

For god sakes Timerover please stop turning every thread into History lesson– followed by your house rules proposal. AA50 neutrals are void and considered just like AAR, where you don’t enter or fight in them. That’s it!

If you want to talk about Spain in 1808 and such make a thread in the History section and not AA50.

“Hello?  Mr Kettle?  This is Pot calling!” :roll: :-o :roll: :-o :roll: :-o :roll: :-P

Craig

Thats funny-LOL.  I am new to the online community, but I have soaked up enough old posts, to laugh out loud at this one.

• my bro if we could attack neutrals his only country to attack would be switzerland
    he has this idea thta germany must attack switzerland every game he woudl prob attk it so rly horrible idea lol (id make switzerland have double the men to see his face and hed like bigger challenge his only goal would be take switzerland lol)

• Hey, Spain did send the Blue Legion to help hitler in the war agaisnt the Soviets. He also sent workers to help German industry, and provided port for the U-boats. Spain was not that neutral. The only thing is that they would not allow German troops to cross their territory to invade Gibraltar. If anything, Germany should provide Germany with 2 ipcs, but germany could not invade, or use Spanish troops….except for the Blue Legion.
    Sorry Imperious Leader, I could not resist answering to this.

• Before you get a history lesson nobody that asked for as if you never read a book before and your 8 years old, followed by a plug for some house rules and a book recommendation for a book you already have followed by a disclaimer that nothing substantive will be shared because a biggest, most knowledgeable authority in the game design has a huge company and people might steal his incredible ideas….

Your would be correct about Spain, but also other nations officially neutral or occupied: Sweden, Switzerland, france, Holland, Denmark, even Russians had organized divisions under official auspices of pro-German sympathies all directed toward the anti-Comintern against Communism. Europe feared communism more than anything and wanted a crusade to rid the world of it. But most of you already knew this. I am quite sure.

but in AA neutrals are just a black hole and anything that enters gets zapped. They mean nothing .Visit house rules on how to remedy this if it troubles you. Many have posted a number of ideas.

• All neutral countries were guilty of helping a country out ok.  Like imperious said history lesson forum go there. If you want house rules go for it i will allow nuetrals to be attacked and give them an ipc value and a certian amount of units inside each territory.

My example Spain they would have : 4 ipc then they would have somthing like 4-10 inf., 3-4 artillery, 2-3 tanks, 1 fighter (maybe 1 bomber but most likely not).

But neutral attacks bring it i will probably make sure that switzerland will stay neutral for ever because ill give switzerland (2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000… and so on)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m