• I have played the Axis and Allies board game and the original Hasbro CD-Rom game for many years. I played the Hasbro CD-Rom on Win 95, Win 98 and Win 2000. Since I installed XP, it doesn’t work anymore. When I try to run the game it says AxisAllies.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I am using XP Professional. Anyone get this game to work on XP PROFESSIONAL? I have heard many people get it working on XP home.

• The Hasbro CD was buggy when it came out and it’s obviously WAY out of date now – some ten years later.  If you like the environment that the CD game supplied (I certainly did), you should check out Triple A.  It’s a freeware game and there are links to its website all over the place here.  It’s interface works very similarly to the old CD rom game, but without all the bugs (for the most part).  Park your horse and buggy in the barn and move into at least early 2000s technology. :wink:

• Thats mostly true, except the aesthetics for Triple A in every respect are positively ghastly making it totally unsuitable because its so unprofessional looking. Its not really anything but a picture of a ugly map with icons that you move around and email to the other guy to do the same. Both sides use yet another site to access the random dice to keep the thing honest. But its close to playing tic tac toe on toilet paper.

At least we had those cool little national tunes from hasbro when we made our turn, and the map actually looked like the game map. I like Japan and the American national themes.

• yeah i guess i should have mentioned that i have triple a, i just like the original better especially with the starter pack thing i found and the fact that you can play better online now. I was just wondering if anyone else has had my problem on windows xp pro. I guess maybe i will try it somewhere else to fins out if it is xp pro giving me problems or some other software on this machine that it doesn’t get along with

• re TripleA
    new map some time last year
    revised map now looks more like the revised map
    more vivid colours

http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/TripleA_1.png
    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1487/0930qr0.png

• I was debating whether or not to point that out too Tekkyy. ~ZP

• Its still ghastly IMO. When you can have 5 people playing at the same time in real time and the music and explosions return , THEN perhaps its something better.

• I just read about an unofficial patch by AA War Club to fix bugs?

• Strange, I played the CD in XP and even in the buggier Vista and had no troubles. Seems a configuration issue, but I cannot imagine the solution. Sorry  :|

• @mscheaf:

I have played the Axis and Allies board game and the original Hasbro CD-Rom game for many years. I played the Hasbro CD-Rom on Win 95, Win 98 and Win 2000. Since I installed XP, it doesn’t work anymore. When I try to run the game it says AxisAllies.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I am using XP Professional. Anyone get this game to work on XP PROFESSIONAL? I have heard many people get it working on XP home.

There’s maybe a solution for you. With compatibility mode, it doesn’t seem to work. My only solution was to install Windows 98 and play it, but you don’t want to install a second operating system. Solution to that: Install the free version of Sun Virtualbox or Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. You’ll then be able to install and emulate another operating system (like Windows 98 for Axis & Allies). If you don’t have the installation cd of Windows 98, you can either find one at a very cheap price on ebay or you can try to find a copy online and download it. I don’t know if it’s legal or not, so to be safe, just get a legal copy. Once everything will be installed, you’ll be able to install Axis & Allies under your virtual Windows 98 and play it like it was before.

I hope this helps you.

• @mscheaf:

I have played the Axis and Allies board game and the original Hasbro CD-Rom game for many years. I played the Hasbro CD-Rom on Win 95, Win 98 and Win 2000. Since I installed XP, it doesn’t work anymore. When I try to run the game it says AxisAllies.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I am using XP Professional. Anyone get this game to work on XP PROFESSIONAL? I have heard many people get it working on XP home.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work either on my XP Home. I also get the “Send - Don’t Send” thing on WinXP.

But in my case, the game crashes after USSR makes its movement (I play as Germany). I can still get through the intro, the main menu, and the USSR movement phase. After the Soviets invade something, the game crashes.

And yes, I have tried compatibility modes ad nauseam.

Here’s my system, by the way.
    MSI Wind Netbook
    Intel Atom Processor
    2GB of RAM
    Windows XP Home

Is there any way to play this excellent game on XP, without resorting to virtual machines?

• '10

Have you downloaded the latest 5.1 patch?

http://ewarzone.com/aa.html

• 1. Try disabling hardware acceleration. From memory, right click the desktop and proceed from there.

and/or

2. Click Start (the Windows icon in Windows 7) and then right mouse click on the A&A icon.
    Go to Properties, then Compatibility. Set the OS.

3. Also, you can now play without the CD. Find AAStarterPack51 on one of the boards. Not bad. It is a very good hack.

• After reading a few of these comments. I feel outdated for having played the 98 Hasbro game within the past few months.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m