• @Black_Elk:

Assuming the current set up is accurate, I like this buy for Japan: 1 transport, 2 inf, 1 art and 1 tank

Airstrike on the British India fleet (2 fighters, to land on carrier in sz 37) as well as the US Battleship at pearl (4 fighters to land in sz 62). The Cruiser and Battleship to knock out the US fleet at Philippines. 1 inf from Carolines to Borneo with the naked transport, 2 inf from Carolines to East Indies with the destroyer to cover. 1 inf +1 inf from Okinawa/Japan, and 1 inf + 1 tank from Iwo/Japan to either Manchuria or Bury, depending on what the Russians do.

On the mainland you only really need to hit 2 Chinese spaces in the first round to screw them out of the third inf unit, so I favor Fukien and Suiyuan or Hupeh since they allow you to land the Formosa fighter in French Indo China, and the Manchuria fighter either in Kiangsu or FIC depending on how the attacks go.

Assuming reasonable luck, that should leave Japan with 2 transports (plus the new one for a total of 3) along with 2 carriers and 3-4 fighters in sz 62 (or you can land one in Manchuria if extra defense is needed), and 1 carrier and 1-2 fighters in sz 37. With no immediate threats in the next round, you have the option to expand in whichever direction seems the most advantageous (depending on what the US decides to do.) If the UK goes IC in India, it shoud be fairly easy to take by round 3 or 4, if not then you can hit the Russians instead, or continue to push across the South Pacific, provided the USA doesn’t stay and fight. Either way you’re poised to pick up 2 NO’s by the end of the second round.

I think tht is really accurate but if you put this in consideration taking away the tank and purchasing another artillery would make a nother inf. stornger and save a buck

if you buy 5 infantry and 5 artillery for 35ipc’s it is better then 7 tanks of 35 ipc’s!
    So i would save a trip and go for the artillery right away tehn 1 trip = 1inf and artillery and the other 1 1inf. and artillery (would not recommend the tank)

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I like tanks for the mobility. :)

Also, Soviet Far East is a MUCH better landing spot than Buryatia. I expect to see more Japs parked up there in AA50

• Ahh its depending i see the japanese defending a wee bit from the russians but  see the russians to tied up agaisnt the japanese sicne the brits and states are after them!

• Has anyone looked at Japan’s first buy being 3 Research tokens and 1 transport?

My friends and I play with a minor house rule for tech as follows:  Instead of rolling 1 die to see which random tech you receive (after having rolled a “6” of course), roll as many dice as you had research tokens, and then choose which tech you want from the numbers shown on the dice.  Using this method helps ensure that you don’t get a fairly useless tech (such as America or Japan getting Radar).

Using this rule, there is a pretty decent chance of Japan getting Long Range Aircraft on the first turn, and that would drastically modify Japan’s first turn.  Japan could then completely destroy the entire US Pacific fleet, knock out UK’s Indian fleet, and take all 3 of its National Objectives while still leaving no easily picked off transports or ships.  This would also leave you in the position to either hit Alaska, Australia, and/or India on the second turn.  You should also receive about 46-47 IPC at the end of your turn.

I realize that Japan may not get Long Range with this buy, but even if he doesn’t, Japan can still do a pretty traditional turn.

• Snap i am a tank let me roll all over you moohahhaha!

Anyways Japan should do the following
    1. Not buy research
    2. take india or australia by jt3
    3. dominate the pacific
    4. at least a stalemate  in asia (china and india)

Bumping this since the game is out now.

It looks like Japan can clear ALL 4 China territories that contain 1 inf including taking out the ftr.  They can also clear the two UK ter in SE Asia and still wipe out all the US ships in the Pac except the AC/ftr/dd near South America.

• yep.

• Japanese strategy for 1941:

Builds: 1 transport, 1 fighter-
    If using technology, then 1 transport and 1 tank and 1 technology.

Invade Hawaii with 2 transports (3 infantry) and 1 fighter from Caroline Islands
    Attack US BB in SZ53 with 2 fighters, 1 DD and 2 CV

Attack SZ 56 with 1 fighter

Invade Burma with 3 Infantry/ 1 Artillery + SB from BB in SZ #37

Bring transport from SZ 62 and pick up one tank from Japan and 1 infantry from Okinawa and 1 fighter from carrier to attack Philippines.
    Attack SZ # 50 with 1 CV plus 1 fighter and CA

China attacks:
    Suiyuan: bring 3 Infantry
    Hupeh: bring 2 infantry, 1 fighter
    Yunnan: bring in 3 infantry and 2 fighters
    Note: leave one infantry in Kiangsu and leaving Fukien and Kwangtung alone.

Basic ideas: you have to take either India or Australia on the next turn, plus take Borneo and East Indies on J2. Your putting your pieces to work to kill UK/ USA assets because they are a greater threat because they are in your face. I know a few of you may cringe on the idea of leaving the two 4 IPC island groups, but doing this also forces you to protect the transports which costs more than you gain. All your fleets are protected from counter attacks and you threaten everything and also stop UK from buying a India factory even if you don’t attack India on J2.

• The USA counterattack could be deadly if Hawaii is invaded and Japan could suffer early losses.  I think the following will inflict max. damage on Allies with limited losses to Japan and a good turn 2 setup

Attack US BB in SZ53 with 3 fighters, 1 DD  DO NOT MOVE Midway CV’s until noncombat
    Attack SZ 56 with 1 fighter

Attack India fleet with 2 fig from sz 61.  this will allow transports to take easy islands on turn 1 and setup and India or Aus victory on turn 2. 
      2Inf/TR to East Indies from Carolines and  2Inf/TR Borneo from sz61

Invade Burma with TR 3 Infantry/ 1 Artillery from sz61 & Indochina

Attack sz 50 with BB from sz 61 fig from Jap.  (it could land on a returning CV from sz57)
    SZ 62TR and pick up one tank from Japan and 1 infantry to attack Philippines.
    Second Caroline TR picks up INF and another form OKI to land against Kwa with Cruiser or Formosa fig support.
    Kia and Manchuria forces/fig could take one or two more territories in China.

Move Midway CV’s  to Carolines or sz60 and land 4 fig.  It gives you an option if a bad roll occurs to move to sz 60  (if all 4 fig survive, then one ican land on an island to make room for the sz 50 fig.)  If you move two CV to Carolines then all 3 CV / 3 TR could hit Aus or a mixture of TR forces could attack India and Aus.  Any USA counterattack against the Jap. fleet in Carolines will have heavier losses and all TR are safe.  sz 60 would be completely safe. 
    land battle in Phillipines is the only 50/50 gamble.

Depending on UK/USA moves, you might Be able to take India and Aus on turn 2, but the forces will be in a flex. position.
    We will see how this plays out and this does not address builds.

• Hawaii under my plan gets attacked by 3 infantry and 1 fighter against 1 fighter and 1 infantry.

The attack on the bb is 2 fighters, 1 DD and 2 CV. I suppose 1 fighter can shift to Hawaii.

The counter is 2 bombers 2 fighters 1 CV and 1 DD = 17 against 20 which is not good and Japan can land her fighters on the Island. Japan also has a central fleet in range for mop up if needed.

The thing is the attack against the DD on the west coast is a 3 vs 2 so if it fails then its a slightly worse battle…19 against 16.

• The counter is 2 bombers 3 fighters 1 CV and DD  If CV attacks, then fig from East USA can make it. 
    If sz 56 attack fails then it is two DD’s 
    The Central fleet will not have anything to mop up.  The USA player will take the CV and DD as hits for max damage or just retreat early.

• How is it 3 fighters? I kill one in hawaii and the one on east coast cant land in Hawaii. I took it.

• Do not need Hawaii.  East USA Fig lands on CV that is also attacking that sz at the same time.  uses full 4 movement.

• OK i made a mistake on the math:

I take Hawaii with 3 Inf and 1 fighter

plus attack the BB with 2 fighters, 2 cv and 1 dd

Last fighter takes a shot at the west coast DD/transport.

I think I will lose the DD and at worst a fighter.

So i got 3 fighters , 2 CV, losing a destroyer…and possibly i got a 4th fighter

so its defense is either 16+6 or 12+6… 22 or 18

US has got 2 BOM and 3 Fighters and CV+DD  8+9+2+2= 21

Thats close to an even battle. Also the allocations allow Japan a better position because the American player cant lose his carrier or he also loses a fighter that has no place to land.

I see that’s its too close and Japan cant afford to exchange.

So i now favor just bringing in the planes and the DD for soaker and keeping the carriers back as in my original plan.

2 Carriers to Sea of Japan and fighters to Hawaii SZ plus DD

to protect the new transport.

• IL, if you open like that in Hawaii you are gambling like hell….

The attack on the Hawaii BB is likely to cost Japan her DD on average. That would leave the Hawai SZ with 2 CV + 4 ftrs provided the ftr survives the west coast attack, so you have either 16 or 20 pipes with 5 or 6 units.

The USA has 3 ftrs, 2 bmbs, 1 DD, 1 CV (or worse 2 DD’s). That’s 20 pipes or 22 pipes with 7 or 8 units.

No matter what happens on the west coast, the USA will always attack these odds. Even at 20 vs 20 with 6 vs 7 units. And what is there to gain for the Japanese? If the USA starts a Pacific war maybe a little bit, but if USA goes KGF Japan is short on capital ships + ftrs…

Personally I like your opening move you posted months back vs India much much more.  :wink:

Edit: IL, CV’s defend at a 2 now, don’t forget that.  :wink:

• The battle is a slight win on a tactical level, the USA would have 1or 2 Bombers left, but it is a strategic victory for the USA.  (the major reason for the win is  the new TR rule on casualties.)

Japan would be hurt losing 4 fig, 2CV and 2TR  82 IPC and not be in as good of a  positon to threaten Aus. for turn 2
    USA 1CV, 3FIG,DD  52 IPC      :|

• Dont worry i will revise the plan. I have a really good one this time.

• This is the best strategy possible:

Japanese strategy for 1941:

Builds: 2 transport, 1 Infantry-
    If using technology, then 1 transport and 1 tank and 1 technology.

Attack SZ #56 (1 DD 1 TR) with 2 fighters
    Attack Hawaii SZ (1 BB) with 2 fighters + 1 DD

Move one carrier from Midway SZ to Home waters (SZ62)-this protects your build. 2 of your fighters in combat will land on this carrier.

Move other carrier to Okinawa SZ (SZ60)

SZ#62 brings in tank plus 1 infantry from Japan to invade Philippines
    SZ #51 bring Transport with 1 Infantry and invade Philippines (also pick up Okinawa Infantry so you are landing 2)

Bring in the BB from SZ# 61 to attack US DD/TR
    SZ#51 bring Transport with 2 Infantry to Borneo
    SZ#61 bring Transport 2 Infantry to Burma
    SZ#61 Bring Transport with 1 Art and 1 Infantry to Burma
    Bring Carrier from SZ#61 to Burma SZ. Attack British DD and TR with 2 fighters
    Bring in cruiser for SB on Burma. On your J2 turn you will most likely have the following for India attack:

3 Inf and 1 Art from Burma
    2 Infantry from Boreo
    1 CA SB
    4 fighters ( 2 from CV, 2 from FIC)
    total attack: 6+2+12= 20 plus the CA @3 against British: 3 Inf and 1 Art, plus possible 1 Inf from Persia, which is 10…India falls on J2

China attacks:
    Manchuria fighter and Formosa fighter with 3 infantry against Yunnan. (Both fighters land in FIC)

3 Infantry from Manchuria and Fighter in Japan to Suiyan (fighter lands on Kiangsu)
    3 Infantry from Kiangsu to Hupeh.

A variation would be to only attack Hupeh with 2 infantry and leave one behind in Manchuria to force the Soviets to commit at poor odds.

Basic ideas: you have to take India on the next turn, plus take East Indies on J2. You’re putting your pieces to work to kill UK/ USA assets because they are a greater threat because they are in your face. I know a few of you may cringe on the idea of leaving the one of the 4 IPC island groups, but doing this also forces you to protect the transports which costs more than you gain. All your fleets are protected from counter attacks and you threaten everything and also stop UK from buying a India factory even if you don’t attack India on J2.

Also, you present produce the idea of ‘overprotection” where any fleet that is attacked can be backed up by other points.

The British will have only a DD and the Transport near Australia, while the Americans are left with the CV in the corner of the map.

• That’s more like IL.  :-D

I only think that I would take East Indies instead of Borneo to have a bit more options vs Africa. And I would be building 2 trns and 1 inf instead of the ftr.

• I modified it after playing it twice. yes 2 transports 1 Infantry is best!

But on E indies its too far away from the center of possible rebuttals of counters that may require you to dispatch the transport to other locations. Borneo is more close to the center, while East Indies is far on the edge and hence more out of place.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m