• '15 '14

@taamvan said in Introduce or Re-Introduce Yourself (Nov. 2018):

@JDOW Great story Tobias, I must say your “JDOW J1” is the classic G40 opener, ala a chess gambit. I can’t improve much on it, though I don’t necessarily recommend a J1 in the face of a full USA KJF.

Well, I personally think a KJF works worst against a J1 DOW.
    But as a risk-averse player, I do not like J1 DOW that much, same as G1 DOW, although I played them both successfully so far. I do not like the shaky Yunnan attack in a J1 and the attack against the battleship in 37.

Some players attack at sz62, too. This is too much power in MARTI’s hands to me so early in the game :-)

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@JDOW Yes, when I J1 like that, I don’t buy early factories. Too-early factories are a great way for Japan to lose against my US sub crush. I’ve been handily beaten as Japan using your J1 when the US steps up takes Iwo and I cant intimidate them from backing away from SZ6. Otherwise, it is the fastest way to crush UK PAC income and for that reason, its optimal in my opinion. And yes, most of our house players kill the ANZAC stuff instead and drop one of the other attacks, I think.

Dave’s G1 is pretty cool because he amphibs Vyborg and kills the other 7-8 infantry…it makes R5 the Siege of Moscow…

• '15 '14

To me, the problem about the R5 siege on Moscow is that I believe, that Allies, if played well, can drop the odds for that battle below the “healthy” level for Germany. By “healthy” I mean that Germany still loses if they take Moscow with 1 tank and 1 bomber remaining. G5 on Moscow works way better in the Europe game, when Allies can’t bring Fighters from Australia and India to Moscow.

On the other hand, when Axis is played well, I believe Japan has no problem to deal with US buying subs only in California after a J1 DOW. In general, Axis is too strong to be overrun by force early in the game. I am certain the art of defeating Axis is based on wearing the Axis off slowly.

and KJF against J1 is imo worst because it nullifies the price Japan pays for a J1 which is higher US income and US presence in Europe in turn 1. Playing a KJF, Japan has the advantages of a J1 and Germany suffers none of the disadvantages.

But I admit, I am the most boring A&A player in the world. I am not made for dicey attacks and big risks, although I am an absolute advocate of normal dice and I never player low luck so far. :-)

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@JDOW Well said. While I like the “Setting Sun” strategy, I’ve moved to KGFs with the Persia Factory as more effective and more helpful in keeping Moscow alive.

• '15 '14

While I prefer to split my US attention, I suspect (although I have little game data on that) that strong focus on Germany is slightly stronger because a VC win by force is harder to achieve for Japan if Allies play sneaky. AxisDominion is an artist in holding Japan off from taking Hawaii and Sydney with very little fleet presence.

On the other hand, when US ignores Germany, they tend to become an unstoppable juggernaut, and steam-rolling to Egypt is easier than taking (and holding!) Sydney or Hawaii by force.

• '19 '17 '16

@JDOW said in Introduce or Re-Introduce Yourself (Nov. 2018):

Well, I personally think a KJF works worst against a J1 DOW.
    But as a risk-averse player, I do not like J1 DOW that much, same as G1 DOW, although I played them both successfully so far. I do not like the shaky Yunnan attack in a J1 and the attack against the battleship in 37.

Some players attack at sz62, too. This is too much power in MARTI’s hands to me so early in the game :-)

Shaky Yunnan attack? It’s 96%, 83% of keeping the artillery and planes.
    SZ37? 100% of keeping the bombers with 4 units attacking, 91% of keeping 3.

That’s pretty risk averse.

While I agree with the point about the SZ62 attack placing too much power in MARTI’s hands, the chance should be taken. 40% of the time the Axis win big whereas losing the DD makes little difference. This is one thing that should have been changed in the setup in BM.

• '15 '14

Yunnan: 17% to lose planes is quite something.
    And as I do not want to give China 3 arty in the first turn, the odds are 93% if a land unit should survive. I am aware that many players don’t care about Chinese arty. but 7% chance to a disaster and losing a plane in an opener is not entirely risk averse, especially as there are more risk-free options on the table that have their merits, too.
    sz37: Afaik there will be just 3 units attacking by default? 2% chance the BB kills all 3.

I agree, the J1 without sz62 is not risky in general, but in 5ish% of the games or so it can put Japan in an immediate disadvantage.

• '19 '17 '16

@JDOW said in J1 DOW:

sz37: Afaik there will be just 3 units attacking by default? 2% chance the BB kills all 3.

2 bombers from Japan, Formosa fighter, SZ20 Cruiser.

• '19 '17 '16

Although I have taken to passing on the SZ37 attack in a J1. The bombers are highly useful for attacking Yunnan and facilitate keeping an infantry out of the attack, although if you think 17% to lose a plane is something I can’t imagine you doing that. Also, losing the Cruiser may not be worth as much as the UK BB.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m