Allied counter to German fleet-unification

• Wouldn’t land base aircraft be more practical?

@ncscswitch:

I simply do not see 2 TRN, 1 BB in SZ15 as being a BAD thing for Germany.

I don’t think it is a bad thing, I just think the direct bid is slightly better, b/c I think it frees up Germany a bit more on G1 b/c you can wait to see the results of R1.  I can certainly see potential in the trn bid, then buying the AC of Sz 5 and making the Allies really work to sink your ships, but again I’m not sure if I want to commit to that before seeing R1.

@Cmdr:

I don’t see how it can be bad in SZ 15, in SZ 13 maybe because it means you did not take Egypt (probably anyway.)

I don’t think Sz 15 is a bad spot.  Even with an 8-9 Afr bid, I still send the bb/trn to sz 15 in probably 95% of my games, I just want to see how R1 goes both in combat move and NCM.

You do get some neat transporting options with the 2nd trn, but once UK/US ftrs start arriving in rd 2 and 3 the threat to Cauc is moot (via a surprise landing) and it really does become costly to transport 4 units to Afr a turn and still worry about WE, Ger, and EE.  You’re almost going to need a Ger AC for Sz 5, otherwise that fleet is sunk in rd 1 or 2 and Germany might not be able to afford to place 4 units a turn in SE to optimize the threat of the 2 trns (Balk is usually empty and Ukr is being traded).

Remember one drop of 4 inf on G2 is 12 ipc, that is a lot of Afr you have to hold to start to make up those IPC, and an overall minus 4 units in Europe (minus two from the additional trn on G1, and minus 2 from the additional trn on G2).
    If you went with the AC buy as well that is minus 5 more inf, that is potentially an awful lot of early missing inf in Europe for Ger.

@ABWorsham4:

Wouldn’t land base aircraft be more practical?

I actually like this approach too, with an extra ftr buy (maybe 10 inf, 1 ftr on G1).  I’ve bought a 2nd bom on G1 in a couple of games and had pretty good success as well.

I’m definitely a fan of Air power, and that goes for pretty much all countries.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, but if the allies have to send their aircraft to Caucasus to defend against the transports that are only threatening Russia, then that’s a benefit to Germany, no?  Less aircraft protecting the Allied fleets.

Well I buy lots of Allied air regardless, so I tend to have lots of planes flying around anyway.  Cauc is a central enough location where you can’t really go wrong having a few Allied planes there anyway.

I’ll typically buy 2-3 ftrs on UK 1, 1-2 on US 1, then 1 on UK 2, and another 1-2 on US 2.  At this point I’m probably done with UK air, but the US I’ll keep buy 1 ftr a turn, or 1 ftr every other turn.

• Let’s fire up an old topic. I’m a newbie to Revised…so…sorry :P
    (I’m going for a no-bid game here, sorry, I like it)

In this thread, the G1 AC + 3 TRN buy seems to put quite a load on both UK and USA, right to RND2 at least. It doesn’t seem all that bad for Germany, and might even pull of some luck.
    Russia can be efficiently defended still aswell…but at least…you will force all UK and USA troops to UK (according to the various responses here).
    Not all of a too bad situation I might say, as Germany also has some back up plans on G2 when indeed, UK and USA scramble to UK, and Operation Sealion doesnt seem to be so fortunate anymore.

But despite all this, the G1 naval buy still seems a bit questionable. There’s a bit too much if’s and but’s.

However!

What I miss in this thread is the added benefits for Japan in the above scenario.
    If indeed UK and USA scramble to UK, Japan has a free game in the Pacific.
    Just act as if it was a KJF-game, taking complete Naval dominance, and a fair block in Asia.
    You can waltz into Asia on J2 easily.
    Or maybe even USA? …Nah, a bit too enthusiastic, sorry.

But what if USA and UK do not scramble to UK?
    Well, even better in my opinion. On G2 you still have a nice german force to do whatever you like (strong fleet, and strong…yet…centralized ground force.
    On J1…Japan could pull of the anti-KJF aswell, as it seems the right thing to do…in pretty much any scenario for Japan…

• I miss a point. I am not a KJF expert but it seems to me that in a correctly conducted KJF Japan is not supposed to take naval dominance of the Pacific.

IMHO the best way to force USA and UK to move to Europe is to buy all ground units with Germany increasing the pressure on USSR. (Eventually some air may help in this scenario to trade ground more easily with USSR and keeping honest Western Allies fleets.)
    This forces Western Allies to go after Germany leaving Japan free to plunder Pacific and Asia. Just as in the scenario in which Germany buy naval units. With the interesting difference that Germany is more stronger on the ground and can keep USSR under a big pressure while defending from UK and USA Assault for a while and waiting for Japan help.

• There are several highly ranked players on here that “scramble” to London on USA1 regardless.

It is a good staging point for the US, allowing them to then move toward Norway and points north, threaten Western, or hit North Africa.

The more threat-points you can create with your clustered units, the weaker then enemy defenses will be.

• @Romulus:

I miss a point. I am not a KJF expert but it seems to me that in a correctly conducted KJF Japan is not supposed to take naval dominance of the Pacific.

According to this article it seems highly feasible….

• @Woodstock:

@Romulus:

I miss a point. I am not a KJF expert but it seems to me that in a correctly conducted KJF Japan is not supposed to take naval dominance of the Pacific.

According to this article it seems highly feasible….

No, it is desirable. It is one of  the possibility for the Japanese player, reducing mainland effort, for countering KJF.

If Allies goes KJF and allows the Japan to have naval dominance, they have little chance to win the game, given the fact that Germany is unchecked. For this reason I observed that KJF and Japanese Naval dominance are not two things that come together spontaneously.

Switch may easily smash a KJF with naval dominance but I would have more problems in doing the same.

• @Woodstock:

In this thread, the G1 AC + 3 TRN buy seems to put quite a load on both UK and USA, right to RND2 at least.

If you know what you are doing, then AC+3T can be a very good buy.

If you dont, you can be defeated much easier.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m