Axis and Allies Classic 10 part series on YouTube

• '20 '16 '15 '14

It wasn’t hearsay tho. I was an officer in one of those clubs. There was even war club (forgot about that one). For PBEM there was IAAPA and AAMC to name only two clubs (those were 2nd edition, and I believe existed well before the CD came out – had their own dice servers).

I believe that war club, spring1942, and BOP each had over 1000 unique members through the years, but I can’t remember the exact numbers (that was 20 years ago now).

I have all of the General of the Army essays still on an old computer. But of course with no bid none of those would make any sense…

RR has a bid as well.

We all played those games consistently until the wee hours of the morning. We have moved on, but it’s not hearsay. I know that the spring message boards used to be around on an archive. Just start googling things and they will pop up.

The online games gave us the opportunity to show what live play could not do as easily – give us a very large statistical sample very quickly. But the lack of unique people posting on this thread I think shows you that we have all moved on to more balanced versions of the game.

• DAAK, the place I played in the mid-2000s, does have some public statistics you can see that clearly prove the point:

http://www.daak.de/statistics/index.php?sprache=e

Unfortunately it does not record the average bid amounts, but I can attest that the vast majority of these games did in fact have a bid for Axis, as every game I played in had one, usually over 20 IPCs worth: typically in the range of 21-24.

Even with that, there was only a 47% total win rate for Axis over 6000+ games. This is much more cogent data than any single player can collect.

I like the game with the bid but if you are determined to prevent players from changing the starting setup, then I agree, you just need to move to one of the newer versions of Axis and Allies that are theoretically more balanced. I have yet to pick up and learn any of the newer ones but I am interested in doing so at some point. If you’re interested in playing a learning game of G40 (which seems to be the most popular current iteration) with me after our current Classic matches are over I’d definitely be up for that.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

DAAK, I forgot that one and it’s probably one of the oldest…

A nice bridge game to G40 is the anniversary edition. It’s not as overwhelming and games don’t take as long. I mean, G40 is awesome in and of itself, but it’s also a lot to take on all at once.

I think I need to pull out the anniversary edition again and take another look.

There was that 1942 edition as well, but I never played it. And, of course, AA Revised was considered “4th edition” iirc.

• I’m not opposed to changing the setup, just not with a bid. As I stated earlier…

“That being said, I’d prefer an updated setup and if indeed the Classic does need a facelift, I wouldn’t be opposed to creating one and offering some kind of PDF to the community.”

Gotta go for now but will check out your DAAK stats as soon as I am able.

• I have added another video to my channel on Axis and Allies Classic. This video reviews an alternative allied strategy different from both Don Rae and my own take on how to win as the allies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyxI0Bjemc

The next video will be an axis rebuttal to this strategy.

• Constructive criticism is always welcome, of course.

• Germany needs a bid of at least 2-3 infantry with RR and 2 hit BB with no naval occupation rule.
    Russia builds 8 men
    Russia attacks the Baltic probably gets one hit, then SS submerges
    In Kariella, you need 2 fighters, 2 either tanks or (defend at 2 units), plus 16 Infantry= 20 units
    You can try for playing on the margins with 18-19 units, with 2 tanks in novo with 2 infantry ( idea is the tanks reach most spots) and 7 Inf in Yakut.

Germany builds only men, or 3 tanks-rest men

• @Imperious-Leader

Would you like to play a game by forum?

OoB rules, no bid, RR. You can pick sides.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Axis and Allies Classic 10 part series on YouTube:

Germany needs a bid of at least 2-3 infantry with RR and 2 hit BB with no naval occupation rule.

• Agree on RR, not with the rest of it.

I’ll take this as a “no thanks”.

• So with Naval occupation if you got ships in the sea zone where naval are deployed, that player cannot ever place new units until somebody clears it? How can you be against that? Japan can take the west coast sea zone and USA never has a chance?

• In the many recent games I have played against a variety of players in terms of strategy and skill level, I have not yet seen this rule break the game or come close to it.

• In what may be my most controversial video yet, I have realesed “Waltzing 'n Sunny Skies: Axis counter-strategies” (in Axis and Allies Classic) on my YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJReTMIlU8&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you all think.

• Also, if anyone would like to play a game of Classic, OoB Rules, RR, no bid, send me a PM!

• ^ this invitation still stands

• '20 '16 '15 '14

The invitation only makes sense under the conditions set by @Imperious-Leader

If you are willing to have the rules be what all of us understood as the real rules to the game (no one played competitively without the “no naval occupation” rule in effect. Had Larry understood the advantage/disadvantage presented in the game from the beginning, he would have said the rules should be Russia Restricted with 2 infantry in Libya (that’s the lightest the Axis should take, I’ve seen 4 bid there and the Allies still have more power).

So, I would play RR (with tech) with 2 extra infantry added to Libya and of course the no naval occupation rule in effect.

There have been tens of thousands of games played online in clubs to prove why that bid is needed. And you and I played and I tried to show why there should be a bid. Of course that was no RR – in that case the bid should be between 17-21 (depending on 2 hit BB’s and things – without 2 hit BB’s the bid is probably 21-24).

The 2 inf in Libya is the only way Germany can hold Africa with any semblance of sanity and try to play in Europe. That’s the reasoning there.

There was a game called “Anzio” where it was no tech and Axis Advantage, and still the regular bid was 9-12. I found that game boring (since I thought tech should be a part of the game) but others truly loved it.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Otherwise, we all played without bids in our day (say, 1984-1998) and realize why the game needs one.

• @DizzKneeLand33 glad to see you back!

I’ve evolved my thoughts on the game quite a bit and summarized them in two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHBXRXn8JCM

and the finale:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfPFlpbtNo

To summarize, my contention is no bid is necessary if RR, no new industrial complexes, and strict neutral rules are applied. Although between two 10 level opponents reducing Caucasus to four and increasing Ukraine S.S.R. to four is advisable.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

@AcesWild5049

I can’t think of a real strategy that involved building a new IC. I would build some sometimes, but that’s because I’m weird and have off the beaten path strategies. But real strategies don’t involve IC’s.

I don’t know what strict neutral rules means. Does this mean no one can ever take one? Again, this doesn’t affect the advantage that the Allies have.

If it’s RR, the balance between Ukraine and Caucasus doesn’t really matter, right?

• '20 '16 '15 '14

Let me qualify that. Real allied strategies don’t involve IC’s. Japan can play with IC’s in mind. Which, again, means that your no new IC’s only hurts the Axis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m