• Death:

Is there a 1939 version of this map and player aides?

• OK Raz, here you go.  I found the Neutral Set Up card as well.  Download it below.  I think I remember DH saying it might need a little work though.

Neutral
    http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=c0yctsctgnk&thumb=4

Any thoughts to a 1939 version?  Once I learn how to use AI CS2 I will start on my own version.

@oldsalty:

Death:

Is there a 1939 version of this map and player aides?

Not yet, But I intend on making some.

But with War at Sea Task Force Coming out tommorrow, I will be Busy playing with me Boats for a while

Any Feed back yet?

Has anyone played a few games on the Map?

Any changes needed other then the resizing of a few territories?

Death

• We are using the map exclusively and find the additional territories and sz’s great for expanded strategies.  Expect a longer game but that’s fine with us.  Not too many games under our belt.  We have converted the map to 1939 (don’t know how to change the colors so we are just using markers- if you tell me what program to use ill convert it to a 1939 map and share).

Only draw back to the map we see is the country size of Europe.  We have blown up the map to 5" X 2.5" and its still tight with 15mm pieces.  We have had to use individually blowen up sections off map to play or use a lot of placement counters.  Would rather see Europe larger and playable than geographicall correct.

Still, best board out their in our groups opinion.

• What program can I edit the map with?  Would like to make a 1939 version but can’t use CS2.  All I want to do is recolor some of the territories.  I’ve also added unit icons for set up to existing map.

Be happy to share once completed.

• Finally played this map.  This is the first time we’ve played with something other than the supplied boards.  It’s been a long time since our group played A&A together, so this first game was a little rough (1 guy hadn’t played since the Milton Bradley days…).  Needless to say, I left Neutrals out of this game altogether.  But once we got rolling, everybody enjoyed the breadth of gameplay the map offers.

Axis won - but I think this had more to do with a long hiatis for the Allied players than game imbalance.  Japan rocked in the 1st round - hurting China and US Pacific fleet - and taking Manila and Hong Kong.  Germany also had a stong 1st round against Russia - managing to take Leningrad and hold for the game - and the U-boats did some work in the Atlantic.  I must say, as it was our first time, Italy was fun to play.  Their navy managed to link up with German ships and this put the UK on the defensive the whole game.

Allies managed to clear Axis from Africa (one Allied player always tries to follow the history books - bad strategy :-)) and UK Pacific (Australian and Indian forces) brought Japan back down to earth with some amazing rolls.

In summary, our comments are similar to oldsalty - Europe map density is tough given the amount of action.  We also used some blow ups to “clean up” the board.  Only other comments would be to use a dotted line rather than a solid line for sea zone borders to give the board a little softer feel and different shade of orange for Japan - but not major issues that affect playability.  Its a great map and offers the opportunity to add any special rules along the way (To this point I have prepared a version of the set up sheets which include Cruiser, Fortification and Mechanized Infanty units - I can list in another post if interested…).

So if you’re wondering - yes - it’s worth the cost to print…even our Milton Bradley guy was considering getting one made and getting back into regular playing mode!

Again - thanks for the efforts.

• Monroe:

I would like to see a copy of your set up charts.

We are using AARHE rules and set ups with this map - with the map converted to a 1939 layout.  So, far, the combination kicks a**.

• oldsalty,

I used the same set up charts prepared by Deaths Head and added set up ideas for the Cruiser, Mechanized Infantry and Fortification units. It’s really just a small addition to his version.

The stats and set up location for these additional units are largely based on a number of posts from the contributors of this great site - so I don’t expect any karma points for being original.  :-D

Basically, the idea was to add a few additonal “impact” units to the already great base that has been established here without messing up game balance or playability.

In summary:

Cruiser:
    Cost - 15 IPC
    Move - 3
    Attack - 4*/3 (*Attacks on a “4” during 1st round of combat); (no shore bombardment capability - leave that for the Battleship)
    Defend - 3
    Still only 1 hit to destroy
    So the Cruiser adds some addiotnal 1st round firepower with extended movement vs. other naval units.

As a result of adding the Cruiser unit, I modified the Destroyer unit:
    Cost - 10 IPC
    Move - 2
    Attack - 2
    Defend - 2
    So the Destroyer becomes a little more cost effective and offer submarine detection capabilites as always.

Mechanized Infantry:
    Cost - 4 IPC
    Move - 2
    Attack - 2
    Defend - 3
    Can transport 1 Infantory or 1 Artillery

Fortification:
    Cost: 6 IPC
    Move: -
    Attack: -
    Defend: 3
    Two key benefits for this unit:

1. Roll 2 dice at 3 or less per Fortification during 1st round of Amphibious Assault against attacking land units
    2. For each Fortification, increase 1 infantry defense to “3”
      Other rules:
      This unit cannot be destroyed and can be taken over and used if the terrirtory is taken by the enemy.
      Stacking is allowed up to the respective IPC of the territory

I recreated the set up charts using MS Excel/Powerpoint (2007 version), but file size is ~60MB, so I’ll convert to a lighter format (like PDF) and post later/tomorrow.  Again, style is same as Deaths Head with unit set up for added for the units listed above.

• Monroe:

Gave you a karma anyway for the great response.  Actually tried to give you 2 but it would not let me.  :-)

Not sure if you are aware, but you can post larger files at:  http://www.mediafire.com/about.php

Good stuff.  Have you done any additions to the map?  I want to change a few territory colors to create a 1939 map but can’t find a program to do it?  Any ideas?

• oldsalty,

Thanks for the vote!

A PDF version of the set up charts I mentioned should be available at the link below.  I had trouble uploading the Powerpoint version, but will try again so that people who have Powerpoint can easily edit the charts to their preference.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u6izu2qoy46

Essentially, I left the same set up from Deaths Head version and simply added set up for the new units, Mech Inf/Cruiser/Fortification.  Only other changes were to modify destroyer stats, remove Industrial Complex from Hawaii (per previous Deaths Head post) and added Gibraltar (I have a typo on the chart…) set up for Fortification unit (probably should have added 1 Infantry as well…).  I know the rule ideas can sometimes get deep for additonal units, but the premise here was to add to the base game without adding too many complexities…KISS method…

I am using the following pieces to represent these units:

Cruiser: Guadalcanal cruisers for Japan and US / Table Tactics WWI Central Powers cruisers for other countries (colors match, so no painting needed)
    Mech Inf: Bulge trucks for Germany and US / Table Tactics WWI Central Powers half tracks for other countries (colors match, so no painting needed)
    Fortification: Did not use the D-day blockhouse.  Instead I went with the Table Tactics WWI Central Powers Machine Gun unit for all nations (again, colors match…)

I have all versions of A&A, including old MB version as well as Xeno and The War Game, but these pieces seemed to work best.

I have not play tested this set up yet, so TBD on whether it balances out…

Regarding the map, I have not made any changes.  My version was a PDF file, so I could not make any real changes to this file.  I think people have tried to track down an “editable” version so they can use programs like Illustrator, but I’m not too familiar with how the hardcore map making/editing process works.  But I agree that a 1939 version would be great.

Let me know your thoughts on the charts and set up.

• Monroe:

:-D I used the same background for my set ups.  I am using AARHE rules and set ups with this map, which I converted to 1939.  Still play testing.  Because of significant changes in IPCs between the two game boards and game set ups, I’ve had to change a lot of IPCs on the map.  Still working on China.  Had to text in “Neutrals” because I could not change color without making it look like a three year old’s coloring book.

If you want to take a look here is my link.  Any comments welcomed.

I’ve added the set ups as well, although the back ground is still work in progress.  I think I’m going to basically do what you did.

What are you doing for neutral set ups?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e9a26b9e5e821f80d2db6fb9a8902bda

another + for your efforts

I am really happy to see people taking this Map on. Makes Me feel like I didn’t waste Hours upon Hours making the map and Playtesting it.

I would wait on Making your Cruisers since the Anniversary Edition will include them.  :evil:

• DH:

What program did you use to make the map?  The ONLY changes I would want to make to the map is change the colors of some of the territories to convert it to a 1939 version.

I also thought of doing a couple of blow-up territories along the top edge for off map play of some of the more crowded countries.)

Pls let me know how to ungroup or edit the map or what program to use!  I’ve tried a couple ( adobe cs2 and an ms program.  Neither would open to allow editing other than over lay objects on top.)

Thats How I made this Map

Just Keep Making layers  and Putting them on top.

You would have to ask positronica what the origainal Program Used was.  Lots of Stamping Colors

• For those of you who play the “Deaths Head” variant, I posted a variant version which incorporates Minor Axis and Allied powers.

You can check it our under the “House Rules” topic and under “Minor Axis and Allied Powers”.

There’s a link to a revised set up whic includes:

Axis: Finland, Vichy France, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary

Allied: Free French, Australian, Indian, Canadian forces broken out as separate powers.

I added IPC updates and a samll rules variant for these powers.

(This version also includes Cruiser, Fortification and Mech Infantry set up).

Essentially, it’s Deaths Head’s set up with tweaks to allow these minor powers to have some game savvy.

Check it out and please feel free to provide feedback (I’m just beginning play test myself - so rules feedback/set up/etc. is welcome)

• DH,

Just found your version of the map, and I remember when Positronica started that.  Great job on taking it and running, looks beautiful.

Thanks, As you can probably tell it has been a reALLY LONG TIME SINCE BEING ON THIS Site.

To everyone who invested time and $, Thank you.

Enjoy, I honestly do not have alot of time right now to work a little more on the map.

Have a Happy New Year

DH420

This Map File Has been Downloaded 403 times. Wow,

I didn’t realize that many hits were made.  Last time I checked, it was still in the 50’s.

Ok, If you would Like to Make a List of still exhisting mistakes I will see what I can do for you.

Since a '39 varient is wanted I make that  also.  It will come as a Overlay to the exhisting Map.  I use Plexi glass over all my boards. so after france Falls I just slide out the French Overlay. And if D-Day is Succesful, we can slide right bak Under with having to move a single piece.

Just a Bump

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m