Ouch! Spain gets toasted on olimpycs basketball!

• Congrats on USA’s team! 39 points against World Champion! Ouch!  :oops: Just I hope Gasol and his pals awake for the final match and we have a chance. Go Spain!

Just amazed. Mine is the first topic about Beijing 2008 on this forum!  :-o

• @Funcioneta:

Just amazed. Mine is the first topic about Beijing 2008 on this forum!  :-o

No. Seems mine is the 2nd… http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=12186.0

• I actually have cable this year (first time in nearly 20 years), and glad I don’t have to see just what’s on the networks.  Still, the coverage hasn’t been there like I would or have missed.  I have yet to catch an Olympic bball game…or even the highlights!  but I’ve seen the standard swimming, gymnastics, and track & field.  I went to the same high school as Tyson Gay an American runner (graduated a year after me).

Oh yeah, can’t forget women’s beach volleyball.  :mrgreen:

• OK whats the point about why the women basically wear thongs in beach volleyball.

Outdoor volleyball in China is not like southern California.

When they play indoor volleyball they wear normal pants. why the difference?

It basically makes the sport into a sorry excuse for men to gawk at women. I bet you if all the women wore baggy clothes the stands would be empty and thats sad to know its so true.

• @Imperious:

OK whats the point about why the women basically wear thongs in beach volleyball.

Outdoor volleyball in China is not like southern California.

It basically makes the sport into a sorry excuse for men to gawk at women. I bet you if all the women wore baggy clothes the stands would be empty and thats sad to know its so true.

Climate controlled room with hardwood floors vs. outside in the sand.  Don’t see a difference?

And so what if we want to gawk while watching a sport?  It’s just a bonus.  8-)

But no, I would still watch because I enjoy playing volleyball.  And by your argument (wearing baggy clothes instead would lose all interest), there shouldn’t even be indoor volleyball.  which is actually pretty cool with all the fake shots and extra players.

• Indoor is totally different and more fun IMO.

In China their is no need to butt thongs, its not like their is a appreciable difference in the comfort of pants that don’t cover your arse, vs. pants that do in terms of the weather. I accounted for weather as the vital factor, but i really think its something else, because in the 1980’s and 70’s those clothes were not worn and it cant be attributed to global warming or technology. I maintain its ONLY to keep people watching the sport which is just about 100% of the reason why i never watch it so i wont feel like i got suckered into watching something besides the sport alone.

• Well, I waited americans here saying “we are the best, we’ll toast all the other teams also, and you twice”, but all I have is chatting about female volleyball. At least is sexier  :-D

Anyway, USA toasted Germany and ÑBA (Spain) toasted Angola. Seems the final match is clear.

Oh, congrats on Mr. Phelps also. Someone said he eats 8 fried eggs for breakfast. I couldn’t stand even one, imagine 8 in a row. Wait a moment, Phelps has 8 gol medals and eats 8 eggs a day for breakfast, I have zero gold medals and eat zero eggs for breakfast, so if I eat nine eggs …  :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

@Jermofoot:

I actually have cable this year (first time in nearly 20 years), and glad I don’t have to see just what’s on the networks.  Still, the coverage hasn’t been there like I would or have missed.  I have yet to catch an Olympic bball game…or even the highlights!  but I’ve seen the standard swimming, gymnastics, and track & field.  I went to the same high school as Tyson Gay an American runner (graduated a year after me).

Oh yeah, can’t forget women’s beach volleyball.  :mrgreen:

How could you have NOT seen a basketball game. I can’t stand olympic basketball and I see it all the freakin’ time. Between that, Michael Phelps swimming, and softball (all of which the US dominates, which is why there is or was so much of it on) I hate NBC and their coverage. If they want to make swimming, which is nothing more that a survival tactic, entertaining they should add sharks to the pool.

this may help you though, if you haven’t already found it.  http://www.nbcolympics.com/

I do most of my watching online so I can replay past stuff that I missed or see live events without the annoying announcers, but the tv listings are accurate. Just go to the tv&online listings tab and click on the block of time for each channel that you get and it will give a detailed list for what events are scheduled and they are spot on with the order of the events they show.

@Imperious:

In volleyball, they wear short spandex shorts, not pants, so there isn’t much left to the imagination. The only real difference is that they wear sleeveless jerseys instead of bikini tops.

For the record, beach volleyball is a recreational activity, volleyball is a sport. And everybody must root for China against Russia in the quarterfinals so I can at least see Wang Yimei’s crushing spikes on helpless opponents for a couple more games. I’m not asking, either.  :x

@Jermofoot:

And so what if we want to gawk while watching a sport?  It’s just a bonus.  8-)

I agree 100%. But be careful. You could be labeled a sexist, ironically by a real sexist, for saying that.  :lol:

@Funcioneta:

Well, I waited americans here saying “we are the best, we’ll toast all the other teams also, and you twice”, but all I have is chatting about female volleyball. At least is sexier  :-D

Actually, I would usually rather see a good, close, exciting competition than a blowout, which is why I tried to avoid the events where there were obvious dominations. And I didn’t root for every American team for that very reason. Such as, I rooted for Germany in soccer. And of course, I got to watch them get completely destroyed by Brazil. But, at least Argentina returned the favor.

You know, there are a few sports that have grown on me. Field hockey and water polo to name a few. And the “madison” cycling event is like roller derby on bicycles. Pretty cool.

• @Imperious:

Indoor is totally different and more fun IMO.

I enjoy it too, but playing I would definitely rather be on the beach and that appeals to me.

In China their is no need to butt thongs, its not like their is a appreciable difference in the comfort of pants that don’t cover your arse, vs. pants that do in terms of the weather. I accounted for weather as the vital factor, but i really think its something else, because in the 1980’s and 70’s those clothes were not worn and it cant be attributed to global warming or technology. I maintain its ONLY to keep people watching the sport which is just about 100% of the reason why i never watch it so i wont feel like i got suckered into watching something besides the sport alone.

Think in terms of less restriction, less clothing to get sand into.  Besides, people playing volleyball in the sand are general at the beach, and you don’t see them wearing bloomers there (anymore).  I think it’s a kill 2 birds with one stone, but you are seeing the secondary benefit as the primary reason.  Have you even played beach volleyball?

@Funcioneta:

Well, I waited americans here saying “we are the best, we’ll toast all the other teams also, and you twice”, but all I have is chatting about female volleyball. At least is sexier  :-D

I do think the US team is probably the best team, but at the same time, there is a much larger pool of players, a bigger industry, and over 100 years to perfect the game, so it’s not exactly fair. lol

Oh, congrats on Mr. Phelps also. Someone said he eats 8 fried eggs for breakfast. I couldn’t stand even one, imagine 8 in a row. Wait a moment, Phelps has 8 gol medals and eats 8 eggs a day for breakfast, I have zero gold medals and eat zero eggs for breakfast, so if I eat nine eggs …  :mrgreen:

Yeah, it’s pretty cool, but I’m disappointed that NBC (the network showing the games here in the US) decides ANOTHER interview with Mr. Phelps is better than showing more events, especially an obscure one you never get to see.  It’s great that he reached his goal and broke a record, but couldn’t it wait until after the games are over to bombard us?

Also, he eats a lot more than 8 eggs…10,000 - 12,000 calories.

three fried egg sandwiches with tomato, lettuce, cheese, mayo, plus a five-egg omelet, grits, french toast, chocolate chip pancakes (man, the cholesterol!), and two cups of coffee.

From this article: http://www.cnbc.com/id/26223564?__source=RSS

@U-505:

How could you have NOT seen a basketball game. I can’t stand olympic basketball and I see it all the freakin’ time. Between that, Michael Phelps swimming, and softball (all of which the US dominates, which is why there is or was so much of it on) I hate NBC and their coverage. If they want to make swimming, which is nothing more that a survival tactic, entertaining they should add sharks to the pool.

I don’t know…I have no idea when they come on, and it seems to be a secondary telecast to the traditional events.  I have not avoided, but haven’t gone looking, it just seems I read about the games on the news and never see highlights or the games themselves.  And yes, my complaint about coverage was much worse when I didn’t have cable.  (Don’t forget the frickin’ laser beams)

this may help you though, if you haven’t already found it.  http://www.nbcolympics.com/

Thanks, I’m lazy.  :lol:

I agree 100%. But be careful. You could be labeled a sexist, ironically by a real sexist, for saying that.  :lol:

I mean they are athletes first, objects of lust second.  I got my priorities right.  Funny thing is, if I didn’t say I liked it, I might be accused of “other” things.  :lol:

Actually, I would usually rather see a good, close, exciting competition than a blowout, which is why I tried to avoid the events where there were obvious dominations. And I didn’t root for every American team for that very reason. Such as, I rooted for Germany in soccer. And of course, I got to watch them get completely destroyed by Brazil. But, at least Argentina returned the favor.

I completely agree with having a more exciting match than rooting for the home team.  I’ve found as I’ve gotten older, losing allegiances (but keeping distaste, lol) allows me to appreciate the sport and athletes more, and have a more enjoyable experience.

Oh, BTW, I think the most beautiful Olympian I’ve come across yet is Leryn Franco, javelin thrower for Paraguay.  GIS her.

• So I looked online to check event availability.  Of all the possible channels in the NBC network that could be showing events on basic cable, I get very little.  Had a picked my cable company’s premium package I would have the HD channel which gets quite a few events.

I also found out that my ISP, which is also my cable TV provider, did not pay the fee to allow access to the online streamed videos from NBC.  So, I can’t get to any of the online content since they didn’t even give us the option to buy into it.  :x

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, all I get are my local NBC channel, USA network, and MSNBC. But, that’s enough for me. Online is where I spend most of my time anyway.

So anyway, I was going to post this:

I wasn’t aware that NBC was limiting the availability of access to streaming video but, then again, I wouldn’t since I do have access. Seems kind of crappy of NBC not to make online Olympic coverage free. Did you go through the whole 3 step process where they ask you for your zip code and stuff?

But then I did some digging and found this under their “terms of services” in the registration page:

ii. restricting the availability and/or scope of the Service or restricting the availability of certain content to certain platforms (i.e., computer types and operating systems), or to certain users (i.e. streaming live and rewind video coverage may only be accessed by users who are customers of NBCOlympics cable and satellite distribution partners);

What a freakin’ crock of crap. It’s the Olympics for Christ’s sake. The majority of their non-HD tv coverage occurs when people are asleep or at work so online is the only real resource most people have. GE(NBC’s parent company) sucks donkey balls.

• I spend like 20 hours watching all the Badminton games. I never had a problem watching and it was always free.

• @U-505:

What a freakin’ crock of crap. It’s the Olympics for Christ’s sake. The majority of their non-HD tv coverage occurs when people are asleep or at work so online is the only real resource most people have. GE(NBC’s parent company) sucks donkey balls.

Yes, yes they do.

If you do a quick search, sometimes you can find a newly posted video on Youtube or a similar site, but it invariably gets pulled down pretty quickly.  But I have seen some.

I hope they at least release events after the Olympics so we can check out the highlights.

Just saw the US Softball team lose the gold medal to Japan after just having beat them yesterday (or the day before).  And I won’t get to see those ladies again until possibly 2016.  :cry:

• Not even then.

Baseball and Softball are both being removed from the Olympics for the known future after the 2008 games.

• @ncscswitch:

Not even then.

Baseball and Softball are both being removed from the Olympics for the known future after the 2008 games.

Definite for 2012.  2016 would be the next possible time.  :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

Suspended indefinitely means that most likely you won’t see them for a while, if ever.

For baseball, the world baseball classic is already kind of like the Olympics and not too many people are interested here in the US because MLB is going on right now anyway. I don’t see it coming back.

And softball’s death was obviously because of the US’s dominance. Last I heard the US’s team was 51-0 a few games before losing to Japan in the medal round. I’m almost inclined to believe that they threw that game. Sort of like a “hey look! We can be beaten. Please, don’t get rid of softball.”. Nothing against Japan’s team, but it just seems way too convenient. This one has a better chance on making it back but it needs the other nations to field more competetive teams because if it does come back and the US team rattles off another 50-0 streak it will be dead for good.

@Jermofoot:

I hope they at least release events after the Olympics so we can check out the highlights.

Isn’t it kind of a shame that this is the best some people have to hope for?

@Imperious:

I spend like 20 hours watching all the Badminton games. I never had a problem watching and it was always free.

Huh. Didn’t see that coming. Badminton is the preferred olympic sport of IL. Whoda thunk it?

It’s archery for me.

• For the Summer Olympics, I like women’s gymnastics if I HAVE to watch something (women, not 10-year olds losing their baby teeth like the China team).  The Beach Volleyball thing is kinda nice though too… Anyone else notice the irony of the Brazil Women’s Team having “BRA” in big letters across their tops?  :evil:

For me, it is the Winter Olympics that I love…

Bobsled, Luge, Slalom, White Guys on Ice with Sticks and Knives (aka Hockey), Ski Jumping (I keep waiting for a repeat of that wipe out from the old ABC Wide World of Sports opening), etc.

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

For the Summer Olympics, I like women’s gymnastics if I HAVE to watch something (women, not 10-year olds losing their baby teeth like the China team).  The Beach Volleyball thing is kinda nice though too… Anyone else notice the irony of the Brazil Women’s Team having “BRA” in big letters across their tops?   :evil:

For me, it is the Winter Olympics that I love…

Bobsled, Luge, Slalom, White Guys on Ice with Sticks and Knives (aka Hockey), Ski Jumping (I keep waiting for a repeat of that wipe out from the old ABC Wide World of Sports opening), etc.

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat……

And I was wrong about the US womens team. 51-0 was what they had been outscoring their opponents by at the time. They actually had a 185 game unbeaten streak broken by Virginia Tech in March 08’.

And are you sure about the BRA being printed on their tops? Maybe their trainer just put that there because they were putting the bikinis on backwards.  :lol:

• Mmmm… Spain vs Latvia and USA vs Argentina. It seems European champion vs american champion in the final.

Shall Spain beat Latvia and get revenge in the final against USA? Shall USA get revenge and beat the Athens olympic champions, Argentina?

I bet for a USA-Spain final, and probably more balanced than that 1st phase game. I’m sure that Gasol and co are itching for that rematch. Of course, Latvia and Argentina could make a surprise and win (things are more balanced than all think).

My bet is:

Gold/silver: USA or Spain (I think a 60 % chance for USA wining the gold)
    Bronze: Argentina
    “Iron”: Latvia

It says “Latvia’”? … in spanish, it’s “Lituania”… oh, man …  :lol:

• @U-505:

Suspended indefinitely means that most likely you won’t see them for a while, if ever.

For baseball, the world baseball classic is already kind of like the Olympics and not too many people are interested here in the US because MLB is going on right now anyway. I don’t see it coming back.

And softball’s death was obviously because of the US’s dominance. Last I heard the US’s team was 51-0 a few games before losing to Japan in the medal round. I’m almost inclined to believe that they threw that game. Sort of like a “hey look! We can be beaten. Please, don’t get rid of softball.”. Nothing against Japan’s team, but it just seems way too convenient. This one has a better chance on making it back but it needs the other nations to field more competetive teams because if it does come back and the US team rattles off another 50-0 streak it will be dead for good.

Maybe there is a need for divisional games…like leagues based on school size.  Of course, that’s asking for multiple medals for one type sport and way too many events…

Isn’t it kind of a shame that this is the best some people have to hope for?

Well, part of it is keeping their rights on the feeds intact, which I understand.  I just don’t know why locally I can’t get to it, and why they just didn’t make it free and take a higher premium on advertising.  It would have worked out, but instead we don’t get to see the Olympics and get pissed off at NBC.

@Funcioneta:

It says “Latvia’”? … in spanish, it’s “Lituania”… oh, man …  :lol:

There is a Lithuania…are you sure you aren’t confused?

On another note, I finally caught a bball game.  Glad it was the gold game.  Had no idea it was on, turned on the tv after I came home from the bar, and tip off was about to begin.

Glad I caught the first half at least…they ALL came out big right from the start.  The officiating seemed kind of biased, but that’s what happens I guess.  Wish I could have stayed up, but it was satisfying that I caught it unexpectedly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m