• This game had a dual purpose - a starter experience for noobs and kick ass pieces for A&A nerds.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Both purposes were not achieved when my toddler ripped the board in half

• @taamvan disastrous! Have you forgiven him/ her yet?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

It was only $20 at Target and yes he’s a future recruit

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@taamvan said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:

… my toddler ripped the board in half

Perhaps he was inadvertently exposed to a Curtmungus post ?

sorry : )

• '21 '20 '18 '17

we all have rage, from time to time. He may have been teething.

The WW1 AXA unboxing went much better–he looked at each minibox and team with great fascination, at 2.

Now he’s 8, Minecraft, Beyblades and Lego are his main things.

Soon enough though, Machikoro, Camel Up, Memoir 44, and…maybe…AxA

• @taamvan said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:

Both purposes were not achieved when my toddler ripped the board in half

A video of that event would have made a great sequel to the notorious A&A Hitler Rant video (a subtitle re-edit of the scene in Downfall in which he throws a monumental tantrum) in which the Fuhrer denounces the lack of sufficient Japanese bomber sculpts in Pacific 1940. His generals try to calm him down by saying he can always use poker chips instead, to which Hitler replies by shouting that if he wanted to use poker chips he’d play freaking poker. It’s too bad that video was eventually taken down; it was hilarious.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@CWO-Marc Have you seen the downfall rant for varied armor pricing across editions?

I even have an expression “to go a-ranting like H in his bunker…” to mean that you’re about to lose and make some bad decisions in the process of losing

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@taamvan said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:
    … “to go a-ranting like H in his bunker…” to mean that you’re about to lose and make some bad decisions in the process of losing

yea good idea to keep a sub handy off berlin so you can bail to south america if needed

• @taamvan said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:

@CWO-Marc Have you seen the downfall rant for varied armor pricing across editions?

I even have an expression “to go a-ranting like H in his bunker…” to mean that you’re about to lose and make some bad decisions in the process of losing

No, I’d never heard about the armour-pricing one.

I like the expression you quoted, and it makes me wonder what would happen in an A&A game if the Germany player were to apply the order which Hitler started issuing more and more often in the 1943-1945 period, which was basically his “not one step back” approach to fighting a war that was more or less already lost: German troops were to stand their ground and fight to the death rather than retreating. In fairness, the Soviet leadership issued the same order to their troops at Stalingrad – but in their case, it was to buy time while they built up the strength to go from the defensive to the offensive, which they ultimately did. In Germany’s case, it was basically an attempt to delay the inevitable, or to buy time until Germany could be saved by a hypothetical miracle (such as the wonder-weapons it was developing, or a hoped-for collapse of the uneasy alliance between the Anglo-Americans and the Soviets).

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@CWO-Marc

Yes, this topic is fascinating.

The long analysis would appear to be that Hitler took full advantage of the weakness of the political resolve of his rivals and adversaries in the period 1936-1940 when Germany was still quite weak. This incorporated a complex series of threats, posturing, “divide and conquer” and limited military action (after demonstrating some of Germany’s effective and innovative, though limited, technology and doctrine to great effect in the Spanish CW).

However, after series of stunning successes leading up to Poland and France, and peaking with stunning defeats of those two powers (using the new tactics and technology) Hitler essentially ran out of low hanging fruit. The experiences of Napoleon, Tsarist Russia and Prussia amply demonstrate that there is nothing like a meteoric rise to power to turn all your former enemies into mutual allies.

Hitler did not excel as a traditional diplomat or strategist–he played a series of gambits that suceeded by momentum and the confusion and disunity of his enemies. But that very process reversed itself quite dramatically into the concept we today call the Allies–a unified group of powerful and imperial nations with access outside the world island (eurasia) to resources and manpower Germany could not hope to match. Napoleon and Hitler were greatly stymied by the “contiental system”–they did not control access to the sea (and not even a real navy as in WW1), resources or the wider world and therefore had to either win that access quickly or be surrounded and besieged from every side.

This, and the myths that existed within the German zeitgeist of US social disunity, UK broken resolve, and USSR incompetence and barbarity were crucial underestimations of their foes. H’s ideas about the deeper weaknesses of his enemies were based on tremendous misconceptions about history and contemporaneous events that can only be understood by a closer examination of H’s personal mindset and the NSDAP’s rise to power.

• Very good points taamvan.

• @Paper_IPC said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:

This game had a dual purpose - […] kick ass pieces for A&A nerds.

To be honest, that is one of the great things about the A&A '41 game: New Sculpts! Not just new, but also hole-filling: a UK Transport, a Russian Carrier, heavy tanks for allies and axis, a Japanese Carrier that actually did something war, a US Fighter that isn’t space-alien-shaped, Battlecruisers for allies and axis.

It’s just a shame that you get so few of them…

-Midnight_Reaper

• Yes, the 1941 game is a gold mine for sculpt enthusiasts, even allowing for the fact that each non-infantry unit type for the Allies and for the Axis is a nation-specific piece of equipment which is correct for only one of the nations on each side. In addition to plugging the holes mentioned by Midnight Reaper, it also provides China in Pacific 1940 with a P-40 Warhawk which perfectly fits the bill as a Flying Tiger fighter.

I used to think that the A&A franchise overall was progressively moving towards giving each nation its own distinctive sculpt for every unit type, meaning that wrong-nation sculpts from the early days would gradually be superseded by right-nation sculpts as they got introduced by new games, but based on some of the sculpts we’ve seen in the Anniversary reprint and in the zombies game and in Global 1940.2 that doesn’t seem to always be the case. But in fairness, Global 1940.2 comes close to that ideal, and it can be supplemented to a great degree by throwing in all the other A&A incarnations (like the original Pacific game, which provides two different US fighters, and the Bulge game, whose American and German trucks could – for example – be used in 1940 as depicting motorized infantry rather than mechanized infantry, if one chooses to make that distinction).

• @CWO-Marc Found the video you were talking about. Here’s the link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBo8q0akGo

• @Playing-Kid said in Axis & Allies 1941 Trivia:

@CWO-Marc Found the video you were talking about. Here’s the link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBo8q0akGo

Great, thanks for the link! That video is a classic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m