• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@djensen

I was looking at a couple posts today and I noticed that I had no idea what game they were referring to. Namely:
    Home Brewed Pacts/Treaties
    and
    Did Chile declare war on Germany?

There used to be a line that explained that the post was in, e.g. Axis & Allies Discussion & Older Games folder, Axis & Allies Europe subfolder. You could place a line about where to find the post between the top of the page and the title of the post, so that we can tell if this post is about AH’s G40 or HBG’s G36 or some other game, or perhaps a discussion about actual history (as opposed to the alternate history we sometimes create in our games).

Just a thought.

-Midnight_Reaper

• '19

I’ll second that!

• Well, now I’m seeing the “line that explains where the post is”, it’s up between the very top of the page and the banner ad at the top of the page. I don’t know if the information wasn’t loading or if I was just temporarily blind.

Perhaps moving that line so that it’s closer to the post title would be helpful, I dunno.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper
    That line always represents the topic in its category structure, indeed.

When you access new topics through the “Unread” or “Recent” button at the top of the page, next to the “Axis&Allies .org” banner, you will instantly see in which category they are.

• @Panther said in Adding post location to individual posts?:

@Midnight_Reaper
    That line always represents the topic in its category structure, indeed.

When you access new topics through the “Unread” or “Recent” button at the top of the page, next to the “Axis&Allies .org” banner, you will instantly see in which category they are.

That is true, when you are looking at the unread topics page to see what posts have rolled in. What I am referring to is when you are on the page with the post and its replies (e.g. the very page I am posting on now).

I was looking for where a post was located, while inside the post itself, and came up dry the other night, before finding it at the very tippy top of the page. I’m suggesting it might be better located closer to the title of the post.

And if that doesn’t happen, I’ll still continue to read and support the site. I just thought I’d offer my $0.02, for whatever that’s worth.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Panther
    Hold the phone, I just reproduced the behavior. And, it’s repeatable. The issue is that on my laptop, if I pull up a page while my browser is in windowed mode, the top menu bar, with the AandA.org logo and the page counter, flows over top of the line with the post location.

If I then put my browser in “full screen” mode, the post location line comes back (the menu bar isn’t smushed and doesn’t need to bunch up over the post location line). If I go to “full screen” mode and then back to “windowed” mode, the post location line stays put.

It’s probably an issue with the underlying software, but at least I know what’s going on now.

Let’s see if we can get some pictures:

First picture, windowed mode in Firefox 67.0 on a laptop running Windows 7, no post location line
    Header without post location.png

Second picture, full screen mode in Firefox, post location line
    Full Header with post location.png

Third picture, return to windowed mode, post location line
    Short Header with post location.png

The first picture, in windowed mode, without the "Home/Website/Forum Discussion / Adding post location … " line, that is what I’m now calling a bug.

I hope the pictures help explain things.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper Interesting, thank you for your explanation and the pictures.
    I see now what is happening to you.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce that issue, as that line appears to be present in all instances when I access any topic. I have to add that I am using Chrome instead of Firefox.
    I will mention @djensen here, maybe he has some other forum software related ideas.

• Founder TripleA Admin

What is “windowed” mode?

• @djensen It is the standard mode under Windows. Every program is executed in a Window.
    In Chrome or Firefox you can access the full screen mode when hitting “F11” on your keyboard. This enlarges the program screen by “removing” the window frame and buttons. Return to the “Window” by hitting “F11” again.

• @Panther said in Adding post location to individual posts?:

@djensen It is the standard mode under Windows. Every program is executed in a Window.
    In Chrome or Firefox you can access the full screen mode when hitting “F11” on your keyboard. This enlarges the program screen by “removing” the window frame and buttons. Return to the “Window” by hitting “F11” again.

What I’m talking about has nothing to do with F11.

If you look at my screen shots, on the top right you will see a series of three (3) buttons, the left one looks like a line, the middle one looks like a square, and the right one has a red “X”. When you click your mouse on the middle (square) button, your screen will go from being the whole screen of your monitor (what I referred to as “full screen mode”) to being just one open window of space among others (what I referred to as “windowed mode”) or vice versa - if you are in “windowed mode” and click your mouse on the middle (square) button, your screen will go to “full screen mode”. There is no pressing of the F11 key at all in this exchange.

If I start in “windowed mode” and open a thread in a new tab, while the window holding Firefox is not spread across the screen but bunched up to the side in a window, the line telling me where to find the thread I’m reading will not be rendered.

If you have further questions, I have further answers.

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper Ah, OK, so your issue occurs when the program window is extended to its maximum.
    Thank you for being more precisely on that. And sorry for the confusion with F11 on my side.

Now I am able to reproduce that issue, too. What I can see is that the line is rendered but then immediately overlapped by the above block that contains the A&A logo. So here I see it for about half a second.

• Founder TripleA Admin

I know what the issue is. We have too many icons in the nav bar and the logo is too wide. When the window shrinks, it all goes to a new line and messes everything up. :frowning: :grimacing:

• @djensen said in Adding post location to individual posts?:

I know what the issue is. We have too many icons in the nav bar and the logo is too wide. When the window shrinks, it all goes to a new line and messes everything up. :frowning: :grimacing:

But only if you stay in windowed mode. If you stretch it back out and then re-shrink it, the line with the post location drops down (see my last screenshot for how that looks). If you knew how to make the line drop down, without needing to stretch and shrink the screen, you would be golden. Assuming the software let’s you do that…

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m