• Curious about the low luck dice after a game was seriously swayed by a two very lucky battles winning a game that shouldn’t have been one

• @Yamamoto_motto

I’ll just pop in here real fast. Low luck dice works like so: Add up the to-hit number of all the units in each attack column separately and divide by 6. So say you are attacking with 6 infantry 3 tanks and 3 fighters.

So the infantry attack on a 1. You have 6 so 1x6=6 Now divide this number by 6(the number if sides on the dice) and you get 1. So that is one guaranteed hit. Next add up the tanks and the fighters since they all attack on 3 you group them up. 3x6=18 18/6=3 So 3 guaranteed hits. I just grabbed these number out of the air so lets say you are defending with 8 infantry and 2 fighters. Infantry defend on 2 fighters defend on 4. so 2x8=16 16 divided by 6 = 2 guaranteed hits with a remainder of 4. Since you can’t divide 3 hits into it fully. That 4 remainder now acts as a normal dice roll. You have to roll a 4 or less for a hit. The 2 fighters now 2x4=8 So that’s 8/6 =1 with a remainder of 2. So 1 guarantee hit and now you must roll a dice with a to-hit on a 2 or less.

Hope this helps.

• So if I understand it correctly, low luck dice are designed to reduce or eliminate the unusually high or low score possibilities? Like it eliminates getting 6 hits with 6 infantry, or conversely getting 0 hits with 6 strategic bombers?

• @655321

Right. You have guaranteed hits. So you can mathematically calculate how many units you need to bring to maximize your hits. Playing with low luck can drastically change battles that you are used to winning or losing in the past. It is more fair though.

• @Mursilis said in What is low luck dice:

@Yamamoto_motto

I’ll just pop in here real fast. Low luck dice works like so: Add up the to-hit number of all the units in each attack column separately and divide by 6. So say you are attacking with 6 infantry 3 tanks and 3 fighters.

So the infantry attack on a 1. You have 6 so 1x6=6 Now divide this number by 6(the number if sides on the dice) and you get 1. So that is one guaranteed hit. Next add up the tanks and the fighters since they all attack on 3 you group them up. 3x6=18 18/6=3 So 3 guaranteed hits. I just grabbed these number out of the air so lets say you are defending with 8 infantry and 2 fighters. Infantry defend on 2 fighters defend on 4. so 2x8=16 16 divided by 6 = 2 guaranteed hits with a remainder of 4. Since you can’t divide 3 hits into it fully. That 4 remainder now acts as a normal dice roll. You have to roll a 4 or less for a hit. The 2 fighters now 2x4=8 So that’s 8/6 =1 with a remainder of 2. So 1 guarantee hit and now you must roll a dice with a to-hit on a 2 or less.

Hope this helps.

Not sure what the ‘official’ low luck perspective is, but we sum/total the hits for ALL units in a round of battle, not by their “HITS AT” value as Yamamoto_motto did in his example. By doing this, low luck limits the variability per round of battle to only 2 units (Attacker may get his ‘odd’ roll, while defender misses his ‘odd’ roll). This would change his defensive example to (8 * 2) + (4 * 2) = 24, or 4 exact hits.

His defensive example would yield 3 guaranteed hits and 2 more rolls ( 1@4) and (1@2). Summing all units minimizes the variability even further,

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m