[House Rules] The 20 IPC Question....

• I chose a BB bc for the Defence.
    The First few rounds, the US is on defence.
    The BB gives you flexibility to spend ipc the first few rounds on other assets.
    E.g. Bombers…etc😉

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

If you house rule it try this in another game.

1 Battleship C16 A5 2.46 D5 2.46
    2 Cruisers C18 A4 2.38 D4 2.38
    3 Destroyers C24 A2 2.25 D2 2.25

This is close but now the Destroyer cost is to high.
    But the goal is 2 Cruisers now can sink a Battleship and 3 destroyers can sink a Cruiser or Battleship.
    If you lower cost of Destroyer then it gets to strong. This is where the D6 system hurts you in one area.

But it is a incentive to buy more Cruisers ?
    The Battleship lookin good now too.
    You still need Destroyers but now it will cost you.
    If a destroyers can block a whole Fricken fleet then the Destroyer cost is correct ! lol

The Tac Bomber is another piece thats under Rated in game. That never gets bought.
    But that’s another discussion if so be it.

SS OUT !

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

IMO letting Crusiers transport an INF would give them an added utility/niche use that they don’t have currently.

It’d also help counter the whole Dark Skies thing by allowing for Transports that can punch back. So you reduce the number of units you can shuck in exchange for getting them to Europe/Africa faster (because you don’t need as much time to build up a Navy that can withstand an attack from the Luftwaffe).

• @DoManMacgee ya go ahead and add the Inf to cruiser. Play test with the above suggestions. Lets us know what you use and changed. If you keep it the same the 1 inf to cruiser wont only wont help.

• '18

if cruisers can carry infantry, the japanese will be lighting striking all over the spice!

• I do worry that this will only help the Axis (and we know this is not needed).

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Sorry, should have looked over the setup before commenting.

Does Japan start with a large amount of Cruisers? If so, they certainly don’t need any more help with their opening.

• @Wittmann Ya Part of the problem is the setup.

DoMan go with no Inf.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@SS-GEN yea the A4 D3 seems worth a shot. No trprt capability. Still C12.

Seems that the Defensive fleet has the advantage usually, so boosting attack and keeping defense the same should help. BB still has 2 hit advantage but can only fire once per rd as opposed to 2 for the CAs.

Idk, maybe CAs and hit soakers would be better than the BB. I don’t really buy a lot of BBs either though.

Too bad Baron not around to crunch all the numbers. Probably did somewhere in the past, although you’re doing fine job of it as well. : )

Hmm…I think I’ll try it. See what happens. Might have to increase CA cost a buck if it seems too powerful.

• What about keeping the cruiser at 12 IPC’s but gets boosted up to a 4 Attack 4 Defense when paired with a Battleship?

Or maybe just 11 IPC’s for the cruiser. This seems like it would not harm the initial set up since many BB’s are already paired with CA’s. Two cruisers for 22 IPC’s vs 24 seems like a decent change but not too drastic.

@Mursilis said in [House Rules] The 20 IPC Question....:

What about keeping the cruiser at 12 IPC’s but gets boosted up to a 4 Attack 4 Defense when paired with a Battleship?

That’s an interesting thought. I think I would keep CA Bombard at 3 though. Or keep D3 ? wouldn’t cork as many opening battles that way

• @Mursilis yea I like the idea of pairing with BB. Think this is what I’m gonna try: CA A3 +1 when paired with BB on a 1:1 basis D3 Bombard 3 C12

So have incentive to still buy BB, boosts offensive firepower, which should hopefully encourage more naval engagements, especially larger ones, but shouldn’t (hopefully) break the RD1 battles. Doesn’t overpower shore bombardment.

Idk, maybe people just go all CVs and planes, subs and DDs anyway. Worth a shot I say : )

Also, I’m gonna change the AA ability I use for them to 1 shot at 1 in 10 and keep the BB at 2 shots at 1 in 10. I activate that in the 2nd rd though, so it doesn’t break the rd1 battles.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 Customizer

@barnee Ya Thats why I am always crunching numbers with him. But I got a good idea anyway.

Plus I was gonna mention you as a go to guy also do to at least your play testing.

• @Mursilis Ya the problem is there’s many discussions on these things but nobody play tests them. Be nice to find like 2 - 4 groups willing to add house rules to game and play test them regularly. I’m not a G40 guy though.

• You guys look at YG G40 house rules too for any more bal mod ideas.

• @SS-GEN

I haven’t looked at YGs stuff too much, although I know there is some overlap with what others have done. They’ve definitely put a lot of work into it. Interested in how their 8 sided die is working out. That seems real promising.

• No. Barney. I believe it’s for the d6s. I m involved in the d8 deluxe game your talking about.

• I’m doing the 11 IPC Cruiser. I know that pairing it with a battleship will change the med fight quite a bit and dramatically change the battles around London. So I’ll see if i get more play with this.

I’ll do pairing with the BB next game which will help the UK out quite a bit weakening the luftwaffe(good thing) and slightly help the Italians in the med. So early game might balance out. I think that the pairing with BB might be the best solution to be honest.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Here are other suggestions–just to put them out there for your considerations

Bomber 13 Cruiser 11
    Cruiser move 3 without naval base
    Cruiser move 4 with nb
    Cruiser fires “1” as AAA before combat or against 3 units
    Air participates in a pre battle with other air only (but Cruisers and AAA join in this round only)

Carries 1 infantry (this one causes many choice conflicts as you cannot combat/noncom and fight/land/bombard you have to pick 1 thing from each list)

Not sure why you’re boosting it in combo with another unit as that’s actually a buff for the BB, not the cruiser, the BB is correctly priced, and many of these pairs exist at game start but not typically later on)

Few people buy cruisers but like many people have dreamt of, i’ve built a Operation Cruiser Crush strategy (US KGF or JAPAN). I’m just can’t present it to the group because it is so dang wimpy in comparison to my Operation Setting Sun.

been dicking around with it on triplea. There’s gonna be CAs and BBs everywhere lol : )

Well…maybe not. What I like about keeping the CA at D3 is it doesn’t screw the RD1 battles too much. Or that’s my hope anyway : ). Germany whacking the UK and French in 110 is almost as key as taking France imo. 111 not as much, but if those CAs hit at D4 with a BB, could be a tough day for the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine.

Seems as if Japan could benefit and maybe UKP if they wanna do a suicide counterattack. Italy if theirr BB lives. Anyway, I’m gonna try it out : )

@taamvan yea some good ideas.

I like the pairing idea so that BBs and CAs both need to be bought to take advantage of the tweak. Those are obviously the least purchased. Just a bunch of CVs, subs and DDs otherwise…or…well…probably. In case you didn’t get my disclaimer earlier…I’m not a very good player heh heh : )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m