• I see no conflicts whatsoever. Everything is predicated on the most recent post. That includes the original post if it was created within that sequence. Also, the votes thing is really stupid and useless and adds zero value to this site. It means nothing and nobody would use it to determine what to look at. Its nothing more than a “beauty contest”. Actually, the thing you had for individual posters…forgot what you called it… sort of “prestige rating” of individual members… that was a waste too.

Lastly, what is needed is to toggle OFF sections of new reply’s of entire categories. For example, i don’t want to sort thru pages of online games being played. I don’t consider these as posts. I only want to see anything else. The ability to just not see the tun by turn posts of online games would be great.

• @Imperious-Leader said in Forums Feedback Redux:

Also, the votes thing is really stupid and useless and adds zero value to this site. It means nothing and nobody would use it to determine what to look at. Its nothing more than a “beauty contest”. Actually, the thing you had for individual posters…forgot what you called it… sort of “prestige rating” of individual members… that was a waste too.

The votes thing is great if you want to say “me too” or “I like” or “great idea” without wasting everybody’s time with actually writing that. People, you really should use this feature. I also want to use it to encourage lurkers to participate more. Read a post, like it. The biggest problem with it is that it’s nearly unnoticeable that you can or should do it.

However, the vote count is quite useless because people aren’t using it. That’s actually the case for most NodeBB forums. I’d like an easy way to remove the count from the listing but I don’t have that yet.

Lastly, what is needed is to toggle OFF sections of new reply’s of entire categories. For example, i don’t want to sort thru pages of online games being played. I don’t consider these as posts. I only want to see anything else. The ability to just not see the tun by turn posts of online games would be great.

A. It should be toggled off already. I ran the script to “unwatch” everybody and if it didn’t work, I need to know.
    B. You can do this yourself. I think @Panther’s #1 new job is going around telling people how to do this. ;-)

• Founder TripleA Admin

How to “Ignore” a category globally in all lists of stuff:

546ae464-f90f-46d9-bc80-e6c17e2078f1-image.png

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@sjelso
    as Djenson and others have said, you can turn stuff off with the ignoring thingy. The Forum games are turned off by default. What I’ve found to work best, is to click on the blue unread icon and then hit on the sidebar which shows which ones i might wanna read. When I click one, it takes me to the last post in that thread and I scroll back.

If I haven’t read anything in that thread, I click on the topic and it starts at the beginning.

A neat feature is the “mark all as read” thingy. After I read or check on things I’m interested in, I hit that, and it whacks all the other posts.

Anyway, while not perfect, I think the new site does have some valuable options. Mainly being able to turn off all the Forum games. It also seems as if the nodebb guys are actively working on making things better, so I would imagine there will be improvements too. : )

• @barnee said in Forums Feedback Redux:

It also seems as if the nodebb guys are actively working on making things better, so I would imagine there will be improvements too. : )

This is definitely an unintended benefit of moving to NodeBB. The NodeBB team releases every 2-3 months and fixes bugs very quickly. They are also quite receptive to suggestions and new ideas. They are a little slower on some issues but they’re always moving the platform forward. Since I’m familiar with programming JavaScript and Node.js I’ve even submitted a few fixes myself.

I think release 1.10 in December was 50% bugs reported by @Panther and I.

@djensen sweet : )

With more people familiar with it, maybe you will get some experienced volunteer help down the road to lighten your load : )

• @djensen said in Forums Feedback Redux:

B. You can do this yourself. I think @Panther’s #1 new job is going around telling people how to do this. ;-)

That is a great opportunity to bring our “Tips&Tricks” tag back to attention:

Since the beginning of the relaunch of the forum we have tagged all NodeBB-forum-related hints with the “Tips&Tricks” tag.

tipstricks.PNG

Those can be easily accessed by klicking on the tag, that leads to
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/tags/tips&tricks
    All related topics are to be found in the Website/Forum Discussion category.

Ignoring categories for example is covered here:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/1236369

The more feedback we get and the more “how-to” questions we get, the more the “Tips&Tricks” can be and will be expanded :slightly_smiling_face:

I am now adding that tag to this topic, too. ;-)

• '19

@Panther Hi, just browsing the tips & tricks link that you linked to… clicked on a couple of topics, and your answers are formatted strangely for my view… (below)… is this happening to anyone else?

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.09.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.10.44 AM.png

• @Intrepid It is looking fine for me right now.
    See:

chatwork.PNG

But I have experienced this strange appearance myself a couple of times before.
    This is a bug with the forum software that I have already filed at NodeBB on Github. At the moment it is supposed to be fixed with version 1.12.1. (We already are at 1.12.0.)

Maybe try a hard refresh. How does it look when you are logged off?

• '19

@Panther This last post of yours did the same thing for me. Soft refresh didn’t work, I logged off and after a half-dozen more freshes, suddenly the post appeared properly. Logged back in, and it’s still good.

• @Intrepid Thank you for testing this. I hope they get it fixed soon.

• @Intrepid said in Forums Feedback Redux:

@Panther This last post of yours did the same thing for me. Soft refresh didn’t work, I logged off and after a half-dozen more freshes, suddenly the post appeared properly. Logged back in, and it’s still good.

If a refresh eventually fixed it, it was probably a caching issue. Chat me if it happens again.

• Panther How do I get back my 40 pages of PM messages without doing nothing ?

• @SS-GEN said in Forums Feedback Redux:

Panther How do I get back my 40 pages of PM messages without doing nothing ?

Unfortunately, the new chat style makes viewing your old conversations difficult.

Also, during the migration process some may have been lost. All the old data is still around in the old database so if there is super something important, I can get a data dump for you (work has me busy until April 12 so I hope it can wait :grimacing:).

However, 80% off all the PMs were migrated. The best way to browse is in the chat app. Open any chat and expand (or click this link).

0d00bab8-8a72-4115-aa52-245446db5042-image.png

Now you’re get this, I think my convo with @Intrepid is okay to share.

e37daecb-886b-4ca1-b9a5-647557890797-image.png

On the left you can click names and at the top of that column you can even search. Sometimes the search will reveal the same name multiple times. The migration of messages was not the cleanest, unfortunately.

I hope that helps.

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not but…

I got a “503” error twice tonight which said the site was too busy. Checked who was online and it just showed me and oystello and 35 guests.

I don’t really check whose online that much anymore since moving here, but that doesn’t seem right to me.

Waited a couple minutes and site was back up both times. Anyway, just thought I’d mention it since I hadn’t encountered it before.

• @barnee Yes, that happens to me quite regularly, too, sometimes once or twice a day.
    Most of the time another attempt only seconds after the first one is successful.

I don’t think that this is related to the number of active people on the forum, as I experience this happening even if only a handful of members/visitors is present.

@djensen Have you ever experienced this “503 - due to heavy load” screen?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes, infrequently. Load can be caused by things like forums searches, crawler bots, etc.

• @djensen said in Forums Feedback Redux:

Yes, infrequently. Load can be caused by things like forums searches, crawler bots, etc.

I find that if I click on a bunch of articles at once, so they can load as I read other articles, I’ll get that error. If I load 1 new article as I read another 1 from before, I don’t get that error.

I tend to read things on the internet that way - load up all of the sites to read today, or load up all of the “new” messages and then read them one-at-a-time. On this site, I often find that approach backfires with 503 errors.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m