• @Imperious:

I have all these and they were chosen because they don’t fall over in play because in every case the base is larger to give the piece stability.

Yeah, this is a problem.  I was already thinking of putting them all on a common base.  Maybe some of those counters from EAI Education and then use ground covering of each country to make them distinguishable from each other.  I tried to paint mine with realistic WWII uniforms, which tend to blend together a bit on the board.  So, colored bases might due the trick.

for Artillery and all the rest you will have to carefully make a list and shop www.stytrex.com. If you email them and ask them nicely you can find out how much you need to order to get free shipping. I have placed 4 orders and each time got it after i asked.

Thanks.  Great insight.  They will be my next stop.

If you wanted to do it right you get one pack each from old glory miniatures at $13.00 each for (50) units and buy a specific round washer found easily at hardware store and glue the base on and paint. It will really kick a**, but you invest 13x5 which is $65 bucks for infantry only… it can be a pricey road, but these pieces will form a universal set for all your games.

WoW!  Wish I had found this prior to investing in Revell, ESCI, and Airfix.  I love the metal figures – they will indeed kick butt!  The plastic sets are $11+ each, so for a few extra bucks would be well spent.  Though isn’t 15mm a bit too small?  I thought 1/72 = 25mm+.  Sadly, the 25mm ones don’t come 50 to a pack.

O.k. so next I’ll attempt to post a few photos – the cell phone only went so far but came out pretty well.  You can see on the close ups how I overlapped the sheets to create the map.  Then I glued it to the hardboard and finally covered it all in clear contact paper.  This is the poor mans version of “how to make a nice custom board”.

Enjoy the day!

• Bierwagen

• A bit grainy.  Apparently I can only post 1 picture < 256K so I’ll try to get ther other 5 up.

• Bierwagen

0616081830a.jpg

• A good look over the shoulder as Germany gears up for war.  I tried to do the detailing on German armor (e.g., mud on the flaps and rusted exhaust) but decided it wasn’ worth the effort.  I realize now I was smoking crack or something when I painted the German army.  They had green tops and grey pants… this must be the division they raised out of Poland ;-)

• Bierwagen

0616081831a.jpg

• A nice view out of Africa with Afrika Korp vs. 8th Army.  You can see the bombers on the stands – a nice touch thanks to Satchel.  I’m thinking to mount the airplanes as well on a slightly lower stand.

Super easy, but I’m having some difficulty keeping them glued to the nail heads.  Time to switch to epoxy.

• Bierwagen

0616081832a.jpg

• High level shot to show the size and framing.  It came out a bit smaller than I’d hoped because of the overlap scheme used in MS Publisher – but the sweet thing is that it fits in the back of my Toyota Corolla with the seat down.

• Bierwagen

0616081833a.jpg

• Final shot.  I’ll work on some better photos when I get back home.

Enjoy!

• Bierwagen

0616081834a.jpg

• Hey those kick ass!

Maybe some of those counters from EAI Education

I bought a bunch of stuff from them. The colored disks are too large for bases. They are somewhat decent to make thicker nation control icons. The disk measures about 1/8 inch wider than the national tokens, and they are flexible and made from semi soft plastic. The dice are perfect and i love green, blue, and red and white dice rather than black dice.

I like the way you painted the germans.

By the way where do you buy the black base you use for your bombers? where is the link?

• don’t buy 25 mm…They are huge…

15 mm is perfect. Trust me on this one. I have loads of them mounted to 1/2 inch metal squares that i bought from www.wargameaccessories.com (about 4 bucks a bag of 40)

buy only advancing or marching basic sets… they have a perfect center of gravity. If you buy the firing ones they are somewhat less balanced and look less professional.

eventually you will become less than pleased and at that time i will prepare a basic order for you so everything is perfect.

Now for fighters you need a few packs from tumbling dice/vapor trails 1/700 scale miniatures… these are from brookhurst hobbies and you should call ahead to know how many you need to buy to get a discount. Then you will have proper me-109, fw-190, and some me-262 for jets. All these planes come 6 in a bag for about 4 bucks each and are AA scale.

The bombers come 3 in a bag and sometimes even 2 for heavy bombers

Also, skytrex does have v-1 rockets but let me know latter when your ready to get them. Painted up, these will kick ass. I plan on posting my master set as soon as its ready and i got a bunch of V-1’s

I even got Zeppelins.

• @Imperious:

Hey those kick a**!

Danke!

I bought a bunch of stuff from them. The colored disks are too large for bases. They are somewhat decent to make thicker nation control icons. The disk measures about 1/8 inch wider than the national tokens, and they are flexible and made from semi soft plastic. The dice are perfect and i love green, blue, and red and white dice rather than black dice.

Good gouge!  I wasn’t sure how they’d measure out.  Thanks for the insight.  I think I’ll try the 1/4" washers.  I REALLY like the OldGlory Minatures you mentioned – wow!  Too bad I already wasted money on these plastic ones.

By the way where do you buy the black base you use for your bombers? where is the link?

Hrmm, someone told me this trick after I stopped drooling over Satchel’s folding game board.  I’d have sworn it was you.  I picked up some 1/2" wooden plugs at Home Depot (or Lowe’s) – HobbyLobby carries them as well.  They come in bags of 25 or so.  Mine are made by Wolfcraft.  About $1.75 or so per bag.  Cheap one’s work just fine, no need for the oak version.  Then I drilled them with my dremel on a press stand and put a finishing nail in them (various hieghts available).  Spraypainted them with shiney black… and voila!

I printed off some flags for each country and attached them to the stands as well.  They look really cool as country markers on the board.  Another nice idea from Satchel.  You can get magnets that fit the bases perfectly at HobbyLobby and then put a piece of tin under the victory tracker.  Works very well and looks cool.  They withstand accidental bumps very nicely.

Alrighty!

Enjoy the day!

• Bierwagen

• I will have to make a batch of those as well.

• hehe yeah its a bit grainy
    those images don’t do any justice
    but I get the idea from your descriptions

• Does the Rome-Berlin-Toko Axis Co-operation not apply to AARHE Lite?  I only see it referenced in the full up rules.

• Bierwagen

• Does the Rome-Berlin-Toko Axis Co-operation not apply to AARHE Lite?  I only see it referenced in the full up rules.

Lite was designed to be used with phase 1 map ( normal map with no changes), however, you can play with lite rules with the Phase 2 map with Italy, just follow the specific rules that are available pertaining to that scenario.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m