• I hit enter too soon – I said PANZERGRENADIER, not Panzerfaust!!! (and the Panzerfaust costs 7 points, not 5).

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

I hit enter too soon – I said PANZERGRENADIER, not Panzerfaust!!! (and the Panzerfaust costs 7 points, not 5).

Mr. Law School Graduate. Do they teach YOU to READ in Law school?  :-o The PanzerFAUST costs 5. The panzerSCHRECK costs 7.  :evil:

Also, I know you said panzergrenadier, but I was making a comparison between two different units (flamer vs faust)

Flamer vs grenadier… I might prefer the flamer, unless it was an open map.
    Flamer vs Faust… I might prefer the faust.

In regards to the hero deployment, I can see both sides. But the hero rule is

“This unit doesn’t get placed on the battle map during deployment. At the beginning of any of your movement phases, you may deploy this unit in any hex that contains a friendly X Soldier.”

therefore, this statement “Deployment is seperate from movement, and there are well-defined rules for deployment.  It states explicilty that you cannot deploy more than two units per hex,” DOES NOT APPLY.

Of course, the official interpretation is the official interpretation. The official “ruling” on the cheese halftrack deployment stacking issue is TOTALLY UNINTUITIVE. so I would not be surprised whichever way the official interpretation of this rule went.  But my intuition would be that it is alright to place the hero in an overstacked hex, as long as a unit leaves during the movement phase.

• It figures a Doctor would totally ignore the example put in front of him and come up with a completely different example that no one was talking about . . . but since you mention the Panzerfaust, I disagree for at least three reasons:  (1) who cares about the 6 dice at medium range?  How many tanks have you killed rolling 6 dice?  Not many.  Okay, I can kill the lousy half-track with six dice – the same turn my Panzerfaust dies getting fried by your flamethrower that your half-track just dropped off; (2) your flamethrower is good against troops and tanks – 7 dice at short range vs. 4 for the Panzerfaust.  Again, how many troops are you killing with 4 dice?  (3) instant kill on three 6’s is damn powerful, I don’t care how “rare” it supposedly is.  We’re talking tanks, troops, HEROS, anybody.  And for only 5 bucks?  Come on, the Panzerfaust isn’t anywhere close to being that powerful.  You may only have a 5% chance or whatever of rolling three 6s, but the Panzerfaust has a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE of killing anything instantly with no chance to roll a defense.  And because of the CHANCE the Flamethrower can fry you instantly, it changes how you play the game as the Axis.  You have to take that power into account.  So there’s no way a flamer should cost the same as a lousy Panzerfaust.  You’ll never convice me of that one.  A panzerfaust is basically a slightly more powerful bazooka, nothing more. :-P

• 2007 AAR League

shrug. i disagree, but thats allright.
    instant death is a bit overrated, since it only works when you win initiative, and the germans have the best 3 initiative commander… who really wants a screaming eagle captain?

I dont think the flamer is underpriced, i think the HALF TRACK is underpriced, making a lot of other reasonably priced units more powerful than perhaps they should be. (3 halftracks with 3 panzerfausts is just about as scary to my heavy tank as 3 halftracks with 3 flamers.)

• @mateooo:

In regards to the hero deployment, I can see both sides. But the hero rule is

“This unit doesn’t get placed on the battle map during deployment. At the beginning of any of your movement phases, you may deploy this unit in any hex that contains a friendly X Soldier.”

therefore, this statement “Deployment is seperate from movement, and there are well-defined rules for deployment.  It states explicilty that you cannot deploy more than two units per hex,” DOES NOT APPLY.

So by your logic, its ok to deply 10 Infantry in the saem hex as lonas by the end of Move 1 they have all moved into seperate hexes?

What I mean about deployment being seperate is that there are seperate and distinct rules for each aspect of the game.  One cannot merge them togther like I just described.

And just to give the official answer:

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=14567

• Mateo, point taken about the half-tracks.  If you increase the price of half-tracks, the flamer problem drops considerably. On their own, they can’t land right next to you (from halfway across the map) and fry you in the same turn.

Mot’s point about phases is well taken.  It would be like trying to do combat and noncombat moves at the same time in Revised.  You must complete one phase before moving on to the next phase, and deployment is a distinct phase of the game (even under the special Hero rules).

• 2007 AAR League

interesting… so you can place in a hex with a soldier on a halftrack (since the transported unit does not count toward the overstacking rule), but you can not place the hero in a hex with a soldier with, but not on a halftrack…

• Yep, that’s true.  Of course, you can replace the hero in your example with any soldier and that true.  The Hero does change that scenario.

I dont write the rules, I just memorize them  :-D

• 2007 AAR League

@Gamer:

Mateo, point taken about the half-tracks.

my world is falling apart. 2 + 2 = 5. Black is white. People are dying in zebra crossings everywhere. The gate is up. Everything spinning. Gamer has agreed with me.

• @mateooo:

@Gamer:

Mateo, point taken about the half-tracks.

my world is falling apart. 2 + 2 = 5. Black is white. People are dying in zebra crossings everywhere. The gate is up. Everything spinning. Gamer has agreed with me.

Yes, but I still think flamers are underpriced.  They should be 5.5 points. :-P

• 2007 AAR League

I vote to kick Gamer off the island.

• '19 Moderator

I think Flamers shold have a negative special ability,

Explosive Death Any units in the same hex with a Flamer that is detroyed rolls six dice to see if it died in the firey blaze when the flamer was hit.

:-D

• I think having the Flamer be Def 3/3 would help a bit.  I know I wouldnt want to get shot at while carrying flamable material on my back!

• 2007 AAR League

those all sound reasonable, but then it should cost 4.5 points. Of course, the fiery death should apply to ANY soldiers i(probably not vehicles) in the same hex, friend and foe

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m