• for all of you Europeans and for all of you interested in the competition feel free to write here all your comments, preditictions, match line ups, links, whatever you want

• Nice work, but I would have included Holland in the poll instead of Russia, Greece or even Croatia. Even if they are a really hard group.

As I may name two teams, I choose Spain as the more realistic option - even as I know, their tournament history is somewhat bleak. They are overdue for some strong results.
    As the crazier option - Russia. They do have a strong team, and are somehow underestimated, even if they played a strong qualification.

• @Complex:

Nice work, but I would have included Holland in the poll instead of Russia, Greece or even Croatia. Even if they are a really hard group.

As I may name two teams, I choose Spain as the more realistic option - even as I know, their tournament history is somewhat bleak. They are overdue for some strong results.
    As the crazier option - Russia. They do have a strong team, and are somehow underestimated, even if they played a strong qualification.

dont agree about Spain. I think that besides the great skills of their players, they simply arent a great team.

And Russia has Hiddink. Which is one of the best experts in the world. And thus are a team. Think they will definitely pass the group stage. And then, everything is possible.  :mrgreen:

• About Spain - in the last World cup they got a bit unlucky against France, when they lost against them. So perhaps with some more luck this time they could make it into the final.

About Russia - it’s not only Hiddink. I think, concerning the individual players Russia has, they are better then the Greek champion team of 2004. AND they have the bonus you mentioned. So they can very well be the big surprise this time.

Hmm - I just realize, I chose two of the teams playing in my city. I’m not quite sure if this is coincidence or some subconscious thoughts …  :?

• Holland’s gonna win, but they’re not in the list…

• @HolKann:

Holland’s gonna win, but they’re not in the list…

Holland will be happy if passes the group stage. It may seem harsh, but its reality.

• The only question regarding Holland is, when are they going to implode?? As always, it’s just a matter of time as to when the battle of egos will happen. A shame, because they play attractive football.

Italy are the strongest, to my mind. In squad terms, they are stronger in midfield and attack than when they won the world cup; defensively however, is the worry - how will they re-act to Cannavaro being out? Barzagli is probably the obvious replacement; however he has had an average season in an average team. And you never know which Materazzi is going to show up - the focused and determined one, or the lunatic.

My only hope is that France are on an early plane home. Again, such a shame, because they play good football. But Domenech really lets his nation down with his poisoned comments.

So, Italy for me. But I’m afraid I have to say, France are contenders too.

• well Holland smashed Italy, really did, altough Italy had some chances too.

They were playing great, and definitely shown best gameplay so far

i may have underarestimate them, but i still think they wont come to far in the competition.

• 2007 AAR League

france or germany.

• What a great game last night - quality play. I stand by my initial comment regarding the Dutch though. Last nights team picked itself because of injuries; once those players return they’ll be squabbling over who’s best and should get to play.

The Italian defence……where do I start? My thoughts were confirmed - Barzagli just doesn’t have the necessary quality and, although he gave his all, Materazzi has never recovered his form since last years injury. Donadoni is rightly under pressure - with such a static midfield as he played, you’re going to need creativity and spontaniety up front to complement Toni, a quality but one dimensional forward. Di Natale should be firmly on the bench, waiting his turn to make his mark should he be called on because of injuries. And Camoronesi - tremendous energy, absolutely zero contribution. Why do coaches persist with him?!?

Interestingly UEFA and the head of the Italian referees association are legitimising Hollands first goal?!? Bewildering. According to them, ‘the letter of the law’ states that players off the pitch can still play people onside i.e. Panucci lying injured. However, there are more letters to that law which they have omitted to share with us - that it differentiates between players off the pitch injured and one who has deliberately left the pitch to make an opponent offside.

Anyway, although I think the score flattered the Dutch, they played well and were great to watch, as always; really refreshing football.

• As I said to Complex, I am not a strong fan of soccer. However, there is my opinion:

Holland has punished Italy heavy. Good start.

Germany is Germany.

And for Spain… no chance, pals  :-D Media Mark have a promo: if you buy a TV in MM and Spain passes quarters, they give back you the money. You can imagine. Any spanish know Spain never will pass the quarters in any soccer championship, even non fans of soccer as I.

Edit: and when, somehow, they manage by a miracle pass the quarters, Spain gets an utterly and total defeat in the finals  :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

SPAIN WINS!  :-o

• @Funcioneta:

Germany is Germany.

And for Spain… no chance, pals  :-D Media Mark have a promo: if you buy a TV in MM and Spain passes quarters, they give back you the money. You can imagine. Any spanish know Spain never will pass the quarters in any soccer championship, even non fans of soccer as I.

Edit: and when, somehow, they manage by a miracle pass the quarters, Spain gets an utterly and total defeat in the finals  :mrgreen:

Seems I was wrong  :-D As I said, I’m not an expert at football, and this confirm it. Anyway, it’s good seeing spanish flags in the houses for once without bad things happening. If football unite spanish people, maybe serves for something. Congrats on all spanish football fans, and also for german fans for Germany playing the final match  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m