• '19 Moderator

To be perfectly honest I have had a craving for good old redneck Coors original lately, don’t get me wrong there are usualy 5 or more kinds of beer in my refrigerator on any given sunday, but I’ve been having alot of “code blues” Lately.

It’s also a rule in my house that the fridge will never be without at least one Guinness.

I am also planning on starting to make my own Mead, unfortunately I don’t have time before I deploy to get started so it will have to wait a year.

• @dezrtfish:

I am also planning on starting to make my own Mead, unfortunately I don’t have time before I deploy to get started so it will have to wait a year.

Actually if you got someone you can trust to rack it a couple of times for you I’d say get it in the fermenter before you go. Mead can take a ‘long time’ even the ones that are ready quick. Mead is tricky or I’m just not very good at making it.  :|

Coors might not pass the ‘snob’ test but it is very good at being an American Pale Lager. As far as ‘Macroswill’ goes I’d put Coors in the top five.

• @dezrtfish:

I would brew beer first if you haven’t yet.  It’s not that intensive to make a decent brew.

• @Jermofoot:

@dezrtfish:

I would brew beer first if you haven’t yet.  It’s not that intensive to make a decent brew.

You’re sort of right, Jermo (have you brewed before?) Mead is really easier and quicker to get in the fermenter as it doesn’t require a boil. Mead is harder in that it takes more finessee and needs more time. Some beers can be ready to drink in a month while most meads won’t be ready to rack for the first time in a month.

To brew up a stout or brown ale you have more procedure (unless you just get a can of hopped extract) but more wiggle room that will cover your errors.

• I may have posted this before, but with the question about US beer I think it deserves repeating…

What do American Beers and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both F’ing close to water.
    :evil:

• @ncscswitch:

I may have posted this before, but with the question about US beer I think it deserves repeating…

What do American Beers and sex in a canoe have in common?

They are both F’ing close to water.
    :evil:

These days that probably should be amended to ‘non-craft beers’ instead of just American Beers.

American craft brewers are leading the charge in new styles and pushing the envelope. Most of the Bud/Miller/Coors fit your description but pick up something from Stone Brewing or Great Lakes Brewing, or Victory Brewing (their Storm King Stout bears very little resemblance to water) or even Boston Beer Company whose Halertau Imperial Pilsner qualifies as an alpha acid delivery vehichle.

• @frimmel:

You’re sort of right, Jermo (have you brewed before?) Mead is really easier and quicker to get in the fermenter as it doesn’t require a boil. Mead is harder in that it takes more finessee and needs more time. Some beers can be ready to drink in a month while most meads won’t be ready to rack for the first time in a month.

To brew up a stout or brown ale you have more procedure (unless you just get a can of hopped extract) but more wiggle room that will cover your errors.

I have brewed beer before, and have been present for mead.  I know that beer has varying degrees of involvement…and that’s up to you.  I don’t go so far as to make the malt, but I don’t get a container and dump prepacks into it either.  :lol:

• That is about what I do when I get off my lazy butt. I do kits- extract, hops and some grains to steep for color and body. Although the honey wheat I sometimes make doesn’t require any malts beyond the extract.

I hope one day to mash my own grains. Start from ‘scratch.’

I always have ideas about growing my own hops come spring but don’t really have a place to do so.

• @frimmel:

That is about what I do when I get off my lazy butt. I do kits- extract, hops and some grains to steep for color and body. Although the honey wheat I sometimes make doesn’t require any malts beyond the extract.

I hope one day to mash my own grains. Start from ‘scratch.’

I always have ideas about growing my own hops come spring but don’t really have a place to do so.

I would love to do the whole scratch thing.  As can reasonably be done…I wouldn’t cultivate the yeast or anything or maybe blow the glass for bottles.  Right now I’m probably right in the middle when it comes to having a kit and doing it all yourself.

• Most of the Bud/Miller/Coors fit your description but pick up something from Stone Brewing or Great Lakes Brewing, or Victory Brewing (their Storm King Stout  bears very little resemblance to water) or even Boston Beer Company whose Halertau Imperial Pilsner qualifies as an alpha acid delivery vehichle.

That’s absolutely correct. Over here in Europe, the only American beers you can get are Miller light, Bud light or things like that. So it’s no wonder they have a bad reputation. When I’ve been to California, there have been such wonderful things as Red Tail, Nevada Brew or Anchor Steam. Sure, they cost a bit more, but it’s absolutely worth those pennys. If you taste them, the question if American beers can match some Bavarian, Czech or Belgian brews boils down to personal taste and is no longer a matter of overall quality.

@Jermo: The cultivating of the yeast really is the simplest part of it, as you in fact do it anyways whilst brewing. It’s just like having dough in the fridge all the time and always leave a little bit behind when baking, refilling with flour and water to use it again next time. And again. And again. Same as with yoghurt, if you do it yourself, or Sauerkraut.

• '19 Moderator

I might also mention that Budweiser is the only big mass grewer that is actualy “American”.  Coors is owned by Molsen Miller is Owned by South African Breweries etc

• @dezrtfish:

I might also mention that Budweiser is the only big mass grewer that is actualy “American”.  Coors is owned by Molsen Miller is Owned by South African Breweries etc

It may not be so for long. There are talks of a buyout by InBev. That could make your only choice for American owned and brewed beer a craftbeer from a small brewery.

• '19 Moderator

That wouldn’t surprize me, I’m not a fan of Bud products anyway.  I saw a comercial a couple days ago for Pomegranate Raspberry, Lime Cactus and Tuscan Orange Grapefruit beer by Michelob ultra.

Pomegranate Raspberry beer are you friggen kidding me?  Grapefruit in beer?  Anheuser-Busch should be bought by the french!

• Lambics are pretty good, but I have to be in the mood for them.  I also would buy the authentic stuff and not a cheap knockoff…

• 2007 AAR League

my favorite beer, which i cant get here…. :-(

ALASKAN amber-bottle.jpg

• '19 Moderator

Here you go brother, I hate to see a man not have his favorite brew:

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku=00000021441&No=10&N=168+41+0&Ne=309&Nr=Store%3A98&area=beer

• @dezrtfish:

That wouldn’t surprize me, I’m not a fan of Bud products anyway.  I saw a comercial a couple days ago for Pomegranate Raspberry, Lime Cactus and Tuscan Orange Grapefruit beer by Michelob ultra.

Pomegranate Raspberry beer are you friggen kidding me?  Grapefruit in beer?  Anheuser-Busch should be bought by the french!

That stuff is for folks who let marketing people tell them what to drink.

• in my best Homer voice:

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrr!”

• Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper.

–Benjamin Franklin

Beer when drank with moderation softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.

–Thomas Jefferson

Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer.

–Fredrick the Great
    No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer.

–John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough

And where would we be without Homer?

Alcohol, the cause and solution of all of life’s problems.

And some wisdom from Papa.

Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

• '19 Moderator

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.”
    -Humphrey Bogart

“If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.”
    -David Daye

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, ‘It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.’”
    -Deep Thought, Jack Handy

“We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old.”
    -Martin Luther

“You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.”
    -Dean Martin

“I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.”
    -Homer Simpson

“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that’s as good as they’re going to feel all day.”
    -Frank Sinatra

“_… bread, meat, vegetables and beer.”
    -Sophocles’ philosophy of a moderate diet

“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
    -Kaiser Welhelm

“You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.”
    -Frank Zappa_

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m