• '19 Moderator

Well I own most of the common soldier guns of the era, M1 Garand, K98, Carcano, Mosin-nagant.  So if you make it ot AZ I’ll let you bruise your shoulder some.  That K98 is a Man’s gun, it’s like holding a donkey kick :-)

• That wasn’t the impression I got from it at all. At least from what I’ve seen as portrayed in movies and such.  :lol:

• HA! Kalashnikov may not have, but every other person that helped him design the AK did.

I got to hold an MP44 at a gunshow, it was an authentic one for $40,000! (Authentic “typwrighter” was $80k)  the stock was realy loose and the metal alittle aged, but it still looked buitifull…. :roll:

When you shot that MG42, did it kick you back 20ft?  :lol: I saw this video once, it was an old WWII German vet who was a MG42 gunner. He tried it out after 60 years and went back about 3ft for every burst.

I know what you mean by kicks like a donkey, it wasn’t a 98k, but a modern Mouser and used the same ammo. Got a nice bruse for a week.

• '19 Moderator

I didn’t hip shoot the 42, If it was mine I may have, I fired it from the bipod.  I can tell you it’ll burn through a 50 rnd belt pretty damn fast.

My mauser is stamped 1942 with all matching numbers.  It is also the most acurate off all my WWII rifles.  It will easily shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards.

I used to know a guy who was a German MG Gunner with the 10ss…  Cool guy

• '11

I would love to shoot an MG42, MP44 or an MP40, really any guns from  that era. Do you know of any gun shows/gun meets where you can try out one of these beauties? I have heard of meets where you can buy a certain number of rounds and fire them off. That would be an amazing time. Also, was it easy to come across the M1 Garand? Or did you have a difficult time acquiring it?

It’s amazing to think that the MP44, designed over 60 years ago has had such an influence on modern day assault rifles. Truly a masterful work that has stood the test of time.

• '19 Moderator

I got the M1 at a gun show probably ten years ago for $350.  It was a good price then, it would probably go for $500 or $600 now.

There are places where I live that you can rent fast shooters, but this ain’t Massachusets baby, this is the wild west and we like making holes in stuff  :evil:

This is one of the local shops that rents Machineguns:
    http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mga/index.php

• '11

That’s a pretty sweet site. I’ll have to check it out if I’m ever in the area. That would be a whole lot of fun for an afternoon.

Oh, I’m not from Mass, I’m from Maine. A lot better for anyone who wants to go out to a gravel pit and go plinking (might be a ME term, not sure). At least not everyone in the area looks at you funny if you say you’re going to go shooting for the afternoon.   :-D

I would love to pick up an M1 as I love the sound it makes after ejecting the last shell from the clip. Lots of fun for all.

• '19 Moderator

LOL, I just singled out Mass, because that’s where I hear most of the anti gun stuff coming from.

I have an open invitation to any A&A player to visit and play a game and go shooting or whatever else my fine state has to offer.

• '11

Those crazy people from Mass and their zany gun laws. What will they think of next.  :mrgreen:

If I’m ever in the area, I’ll look you up. Thanks for the invite.

• I would love to shoot an MG42

Well, funny to say so, but it is still in use in the Austrian army. We did some shooting with the thing in basic training, and your shoulder WILL hurt for a day or two afterwards - perhaps not so if you are used to that kind of stuff, which I definitely wasn’t. But it munches through some 10 cm (must be 4 inches or so) of bricks at a quite amazing pace at a range of 50 m (50 yards?).

• '19 Moderator

An amazing gun for sure, that 8MM will chew up some stuf.  After seeing one up clos and using it its pretty obvious where the inspiration fo rmodern US MGs comes from.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Xf0H-WkX0

thought some of you might enjoy the video. :wink:

• That is the most awesome quote Gewehr!

“It is the soldier,not the reporter,
    Who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier,not the poet,
    Who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier,not the campus organizer,
    Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier,not the lawyer,
    Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
    It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,
    Who serves under the flag,
    And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
    Who allows the protester to burn the flag”

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

That is the most awesome quote Gewehr!

It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,

Wow, call me dumb.  I thought it was the US Constitution that did those things.

• @Jermofoot:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,

Sure. I’ll call you dumb if you really want. A piece of paper does NOTHING without action. Nice try on “the bigger picture” though. I’ll give you that.

• @Obergruppenfuhrer:

@Jermofoot:

@Obergruppenfuhrer:

It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,

Sure. I’ll call you dumb if you really want. A piece of paper does NOTHING without action. Nice try on “the bigger picture” though. I’ll give you that.

There hasn’t been need for “action.”  Show me where I could have been repressed by any other nation in the last 200 years, and I’ll give you everything listed above as truth.

Even then, the fact that a soldier must act to preserve a right given by the rule of the land shows that the soldier is subservient, not superior.

• A soldier in the US military swears to uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  He does not swear allegiance to the current president, or current head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  That is a very important piece of paper.  That piece of paper was the result of a fair amount of action called the Revolutionary War, fought by people who held those beliefs, none of whom were professional soldiers, and by the thoughts of some of the finest minds this country has ever had.  A soldier protects those rights, he does not and never will give them to the citizens of this country.

The German military swore allegiance to Hitler prior to WW2, which was part of their undoing.  For a classic case of a military with no civilian control, read Kogun written by a Japanese Imperial General Headquarters staff officer.  Another choice would be The Great War by Correlli Barnet, on the German military in WW1.

• @timerover51:

A soldier in the US military swears to uphold the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.  He does not swear allegiance to the current president, or current head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  That is a very important piece of paper.  That piece of paper was the result of a fair amount of action called the Revolutionary War, fought by people who held those beliefs, none of whom were professional soldiers, and by the thoughts of some of the finest minds this country has ever had.  A soldier protects those rights, he does not and never will give them to the citizens of this country.

The German military swore allegiance to Hitler prior to WW2, which was part of their undoing.  For a classic case of a military with no civilian control, read Kogun written by a Japanese Imperial General Headquarters staff officer.  Another choice would be The Great War by Correlli Barnet, on the German military in WW1.

See, that’s a good point. I like that. The soldier PROTECTS our rights and doesn’t give us them. Protection, whether done by a soldier or a brave person in the revolutionary war, they ACT to protect. That brilliant piece of paper would mean nothing without those that have sworn and given their lives to uphold it.

• Without the soilder, specifically in this case the US soider. The US would have none of those rights because we wouldn’t be here, we would be ruled by the UK, Spanish, Hitler, Japs, or the Soviets. Cause those soilders were and are the ones who protect our rights of the constitution and what we stand for. Without them the constitution would be a pile of ashes.

• OK so both the paper and the men to back up its resolve are important. Lets just talk about the MP44 automatic rifle and thats it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m