AAZ Rule Question: getting the 1 infantry bonus

• I’ve found that if I take a territory and end combat while leaving a couple zombies in it, then the zombies tend to whittle down the remaining forces in subsequent turns during the zombie attack phase. So I usually go for the complete zombie wipe-out when I’m doing combat.

• A related question:

Desperate Measures Card: Hidden Supply Cache:

You get additional unit if you ‘liberate a Z controlled territory’.

Again: also here surviving one round of combat is enough? You still get this one infantry bonus + additional unit bonus even if there are still Zs in that territory?

Also: just destroying all Zs in a territory you or your ally already control is not enough I guess? As the card specificly says: ‘liberate a Z controlled territory’?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

I think “Liberate” is referring to the game term where a country reclaims the territory of an ally from an enemy power (and removing their Control Marker).

i.e. At the start of the game, Germany “owns” West Russia. When USSR takes West Russia R1, they’re “taking control” of the territory (putting a Soviet Control Marker on the territory).

If Germany counterattacks and takes West Russia on G1, they’re “liberating” the territory (removing the Soviet Control Marker from the territory).

So, by similar logic, when Zombies are the only units left in a territory, they “Take Control” of the territory (put a Zombie Control Marker on the territory). Then, later on, when your forces survive combat against the Zombies, you “Liberate” the territory from the Zombies (remove the Zombie Control Marker from the territory).

I imagine that, in the case where your troops are removing Zombies from a territory originally owned by an enemy, you “liberate” the territory from the Zombies before “taking control” of it yourself.

Example:

• West Russia is naturally a German Territory.

• Zombies take control of West Russia by some means. Zombies “Take Control” of the territory by placing the Zombie Control Marker on it.

• On Russia’s turn, the Soviets move a stack into West Russia. They easily survive the Zombies.

• At this moment, the Zombie Control Marker is removed from West Russia. Thus, the Soviets have “liberated the Z controlled territory”, and receive any and all applicable bonuses.

• After the “liberation” of West Russia from the Zombies by the Soviets, the Russians “attack” the German Territory “West Russia”.

• As Germany has no units present in West Russia, the Soviets win without a fight, and “Take Control” of the territory by placing the Russian Control Marker.

• As a historical footnote, Allied troops in Normany in the summer of 1944 got to enjoy quite a bit of “liberated cognac” as they advanced.

• @thrasher1 said in AAZ Rule Question: getting the 1 infantry bonus:

A related question:

Desperate Measures Card: Hidden Supply Cache:

You get additional unit if you ‘liberate a Z controlled territory’.

Again: also here surviving one round of combat is enough? You still get this one infantry bonus + additional unit bonus even if there are still Zs in that territory?

Yes.

Also: just destroying all Zs in a territory you or your ally already control is not enough I guess? As the card specificly says: ‘liberate a Z controlled territory’?

Correct.

• @DoManMacgee said in AAZ Rule Question: getting the 1 infantry bonus:

I think “Liberate” is referring to the game term where a country reclaims the territory of an ally from an enemy power (and removing their Control Marker).

Yes, that’s true, but I believe that the intent of the card is that you get the extra unit whether you liberate or capture the territory, as this is how the bonus infantry rule is written. I have submitted this for the FAQ, but for now I’d just play it as written.

• Krieghund, thanks for the answers (as always).

Can we just summarize this issue by saying:

You get the 1 infantry bonus if you remove the Z control marker?

So if a unit is not Z-controlled but has Zs in it… and even if you destroy them all: still no bonus.

• On the rule itself: we interpreted this rule wrongly. At this moment two things spring into my mind:

(1) It seems to me getting this bonus (especially when combined with the Hidden Supply Cache card) is too easy. But please elaborate on this, Kriegshund.

(2) It seems a bit strange to me, even a bit ‘unfair’, that you do not get this one infantry bonus when totally clearing an area of Zs if this area was not Z-controlled. This seems a harder task then just surviving one round of combat.

Krieghund, thanks for the answers (as always).

Can we just summarize this issue by saying:

You get the 1 infantry bonus if you remove the Z control marker?

So if a unit is not Z-controlled but has Zs in it… and even if you destroy them all: still no bonus.

Correct.

On the rule itself: we interpreted this rule wrongly. At this moment two things spring into my mind:

(1) It seems to me getting this bonus (especially when combined with the Hidden Supply Cache card) is too easy. But please elaborate on this, Kriegshund.

(2) It seems a bit strange to me, even a bit ‘unfair’, that you do not get this one infantry bonus when totally clearing an area of Zs if this area was not Z-controlled. This seems a harder task then just surviving one round of combat.

This rule is intended to be more about theme than it is a bonus. Think of it as providing a safe place in the territory for survivors to gather.

• @Krieghund
    That’s how I ultimately ended up reading it too, just in more complicated terms (i.e. when taking a territory that is hostile at the start of the game from zombies, you “liberate” it from the Zombies before “capturing” it for youself).

Thanks for putting it in simpler terms, though.

• @Krieghund said in AAZ Rule Question: getting the 1 infantry bonus:

This rule is intended to be more about theme than it is a bonus. Think of it as providing a safe place in the territory for survivors to gather.

Yes, I thought about this in a ‘thematic way’. And I liked that. Games like Axis and Allies (and Fortress America for sure!) are also a lot about the ‘atmoshpere’/feel.
    Then again: I interpreted this issue as: if you have removed all Zs then the survivors will resurface and form a militia to support you: that one bonus infantry.

• @thrasher1 Page 23 of the rulebook, Liberating Zombie Controlled Territories.

• @smo63 said in AAZ Rule Question: getting the 1 infantry bonus:

@thrasher1 Page 23 of the rulebook, Liberating Zombie Controlled Territories.

SMO, I interpreted this rule wrongly. For me personally getting the 1 infantry bonus only when getting rid of all Zs in an area made more sense.
    But to you and others: thanks for clarifying issues like these. Let’s hope there is an official FAQ soon. You are probably one of the persons who will compile this FAQ :)

• 2023 UPDATE

As we finally played AAZ again we were wondering:

Did more people interprete this rule wrongly?
    Namely that you had to destroy ALL Zs that were present in an Z-controlled area?

If I introduce players to AAZ it seems all of them expect this to be the case: that you only get the bonus if ALL Z-units are destroyed.

Just wondering…

Rule book: see pages 4 and 23…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m