Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• I think it should be pretty clear that an Ally nation couldn’t use an Axis nations’ base and vice versa. 🤔

• @Wittmann said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

I should also have added that the two nations have to be allied.

@Hecatomb said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

I think it should be pretty clear that an Ally nation couldn’t use an Axis nations’ base and vice versa.

I think that @Wittmann wanted to point out that being allied is the key to use other power’s bases.
    As long as USA is neutral they can’t use other bases. See US restrictions on page 14 Pacific rulebook:

… It [The US] may not move units into territories or onto
    ships belonging to another power or use
    another power’s naval bases, nor may
    another power move land or air units
    into its territories or onto its ships or use
    its naval bases.

or page 15 Europe rulebook:

… It [A neutral power] can’t move units into or through
    territories or onto ships belonging to another power
    or use another power’s naval bases, nor can another
    power move land or air units into or through its
    territories or onto its ships or use its naval bases.

They need to be allied to do so.

• I got it, thanks, I wouldn’t kid anybody.

• And it is the same between UK and Anzac regardless of their special relationship?

• @Hecatomb
    They are allied (from the beginning of the game), so they can use allied bases.

• Even if they are not at war with Japan?

• @Hecatomb Being at war with a special power is totally irrelevant here. Be allied to use bases of allied powers, as those are friendly (and unrestricted).

• Thanks a lot!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Just want to make sure I’ve been doing this correctly. I SBR an AB and attack a SZ. The SBR is decided first, so if it’s disabled, no units can scramble to the SZ battle ?

So if playing on triplea, you would need to use the “Roll Dice” function and ask the player if they want to intercept. If yes, you’d roll the air battle and then any surviving bombers you’d roll the AA battle, then the bombing damage if necessary.

If the AB is disabled, you then player enforce not scrambling and adjust the damage/ unit losses accordingly after combat.

Is that how people are doing it ?

• @barnee
    Scrambling by the rules is a defender’s move that occurs as the very last action during the attacker’s Combat Move Phase.
    SBR occurs at the beginning of the Conduct Combat Phase.
    So by the rules scrambling is always happening before SBR.

(TripleA handles all of this correctly. In this context an issue with rocket technology has been resolved recently, but is only available in the latest pre-releases (Engine version 1.10.x).)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@Panther right on. Thank you.

• '22 '16

I should probably know this but I am unsure. Can the allied powers take Brazil and activate it with only an AA gun? Or does it have to be a inf, tank, art, or mech? Thanks.

• Moderator 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

@majikforce Good morning. Has to be a ground unit with an attack value. Not an AA , therefore.

• '19 '18

Scenario:
    Two carriers start your turn in range of a sea zone that you decide to engage in a naval battle. The Naval battle will include a fighter which has flown maximum range and must land in that sea zone. You send Carrier A into the naval battle and leave Carrier B in place with intentions of moving it elsewhere during non-combat. You declare Carrier A to be the legal landing space for the max-movement fighter. No planes have declared Carrier B as a legal landing space in its intended non-combat movement.

Question:
    If, during the battle, Carrier A is damaged or destroyed but the max-movement fighter survives, is Carrier B obligated to move to the battle sea zone on non-combat to catch the fighter? Or can the fighter be ditched/destroyed because its intended landing space was destroyed and Carrier B move elsewhere?

If the answer is that Carrier B is obligated to move to catch the fighter, my follow up question would be, can Carrier B move in the combat move phase into a sea zone where no combat is actually taking place to take itself out of range or is that illegal? (I believe Triple A will let you do this, but not sure it’s legal to move units during the combat move phase that aren’t participating in a battle)

• @Tizkit

Carrier B must move there to provide a landing space for the surviving fighter.

From the rulebook, Pacific 1940.2, page 22

Aircraft carriers can move to sea zones to allow friendly
    fighters and tactical bombers to land. They must move there,
    range permitting, if they didn’t move in the Combat Move
    phase and the friendly sea zone is the only valid landing zone
    for the air units.
    An aircraft carrier and a fighter or tactical
    bomber must both end their moves in the same sea zone in
    order for the air unit to land on the carrier.

The requirement during Combat Movement simply is:

Rulebook Pacific 1940.2, page 13:

A fighter or tactical bomber can move its full 4 spaces to attack in a sea zone instead of saving movement, but only if a carrier could be there for it to land on by the conclusion of the Mobilize New Units phase.

So concerning your follow up question: Yes you can move Carrier B during Combat Move Phase. But you must comply to the rules for Combat Movement of course, which would for example mean that this carrier has to end his Combat Move in a hostile seazone, participating in an attack there.

HTH :smiley:

• Just to be clear, the carrier is forced to go get that plane?
    If so, I guess that redaction will be our first house rule. As long as the landing requirements are met during the combat move, it’s all good.
    It should be players choice to go save that plane or not. I refuse to let the book dictate strategy at that level.

• @Phelan-Kell said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

Just to be clear, the carrier is forced to go get that plane?
    If so, I guess that redaction will be our first house rule. As long as the landing requirements are met during the combat move, it’s all good.
    It should be players choice to go save that plane or not. I refuse to let the book dictate strategy at that level.

I agree and disagree with this. I’m not going to risk losing another carrier on enemies next combat turn where now I just lose the fig due to no landing spot. But I’ve seen this argued both ways. The planes came from Carrier A and must land on that Carrier A. If Carrier A is sunk or has damage those plane/s are still flying in the air and will run out of gas and Carrier B will not get there in time. We can go deeper on this. How many hours or Minutes do the Figs have left in flying time ? LOL
    The only legal landing spot for planes is on Carrier A because planes and Carrier went into combat together.

I can maybe see if Carrier B is only 1 Sea zone away then planes can land on carrier B in non combat.

Ya just agree with players on which way you want to go.

• @Phelan-Kell said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

Just to be clear, the carrier is forced to go get that plane?

Yes, the first quote in my above posting is a must during NCM.
    The second quote explicitly states that the requirement extends until “the conclusion of the Mobilize New Units Phase”.

• Does the side of the board matter for Axis victory cities? As in, could Germany win by taking Calcutta rather than Cairo for its last city?

• @weddingsinger This is how the Axis wins the game (Rulebook, Pacific 1940.2, page 33):

The Axis wins the game by controlling either any 8 victory cities on the Europe map or any 6 victory cities on the Pacific map for a complete round of play (ending with the next turn of the Axis power that captured the final required city), as long as they control an Axis capital (Berlin, Rome, or Tokyo) at the end of that round.

So yes, the side of the board matters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m