The new forum has been a lot of work and it's not done yet

• @aequitas-et-veritas I think I found what you and the rest of the community are looking for:

Nav Bar > Recent (clock icon) > All Topics (select box top right) > Select “Watched Topics”

The problem is that this setting is not sticky. So you’ll have to set it again the next time. Personally, I’ll be using this a lot more.

• @djensen said in The new forum has been a lot of work and it's not done yet:

@aequitas-et-veritas Only problem is that the list eventually gets truncated. What we need is a list of watched topics, sorted by unread.

A workaround for the “Unread-List” on a category level is to set “Ignoring”:
    0_1543091902931_ignoring_0.PNG

or on a topics-level to set “Ignoring”:
    0_1543091871671_ignoring.PNG

In this context, these checkboxes to be found in the “Settings” are relevant, too:

0_1543092850405_Watch.PNG

This allows for effectively filtering what is part of the Unread-List.

• '19 '17 '16

One thing I really don’t like about the new forum is that it allows you to post if there has been a reply and even shows you the thread again omitting someone else’s reply. Is it possible to do something about that?

• Founder TripleA Admin

@simon33 It shouldn’t do that. Actually what it should be doing is automatically adding the intermediate post (no refresh required) to the end of the topic whole you’re working. I think it even gives you a notification in the lower right side.

You should think of the post composer as independent of the topic. You can actually navigate away from the topic and continue to compose. You can also start a post and minimize it and come back later. You can even close your browser and come back and your unfinished post will be there.

What browser are you using?

• '19 '17 '16

Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Your work is appreciated dj. Sorry if you had a bad day. Thought the transition was going pretty good.

Obviously this isn’t a money maker. Most people don’t make $200 bucks an hour. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Take a break or bag it. Triplea is the reason a lot of people are here.

Anyway, good thoughts and good things for all : )

• '19 '17 '16

@djensen said in The new forum has been a lot of work and it's not done yet:

@simon33 It shouldn’t do that. Actually what it should be doing is automatically adding the intermediate post (no refresh required) to the end of the topic whole you’re working. I think it even gives you a notification in the lower right side.

You should think of the post composer as independent of the topic. You can actually navigate away from the topic and continue to compose. You can also start a post and minimize it and come back later. You can even close your browser and come back and your unfinished post will be there.

What browser are you using?

Perhaps the Triple-A forum poster bypasses this? I’ve seen the popup but I’m not sure what happens if someone posts to a thread you’re reading and you don’t click the popup.

• @barnee I may have exaggerated a bit to make a point :grinning: . I don’t make $200/hour either. Not yet. ;-)

• @djensen While I’m still adjusting to the new forums, I think this was a good move. As far as monetizing the site…while I don’t know much about such things, making TripleA a pay-to-play service seems to me to be a good place to start. For example, TripleA access could be included for Bronze, Silver and Gold Patrons, while non-patrons pay $2/month or $20/year. Obviously, becoming a Bronze Patron would be the smart play in that scenario; either way, the objective is met.

Beyond that, I think a slightly more aggressive approach to the support drive is warranted. I’m sure you don’t want to spam everyone who visits the site (and everyone hates spam), but increasing the prominence of the message that this site runs primarily on donations wouldn’t hurt. Perhaps a weekly newsletter, similar to the Digest sent out on 18 NOV and featuring links to the top-five discussion topics of the past seven days, could include a prominent message about the support drive.

I find A&A.org an invaluable site and worthy of my financial support, which is why I became a Silver Patron several months ago. I encourage others to do the same, as there’s no better place for we A&A addicts to congregate with our own kind.

• @The-Pripet-Martian Great ideas. I don’t think I can make TripleA pay to play without killing the community. Maybe I can limit the number of active games though. But even then, people would just go elsewhere. Another alternative is that games with non-patrons get deleted when inactive for x-months. Everybody else’s games stay forever?

• TripleA

@djensen Well unless we added similar limitations for the TripleA forums, I imagine most folks would just migrate their PBF games there if you added any limitations here since its essentially equivalent PBF functionality (and now very similar forum functionality as a whole).

• '20 '18 '17 '15

@djensen

Thanks a million for all of the hard work! I’ve certainly enjoyed the website over these past many years!

I do have one suggestion for the site. My apologies if this has been brought up before.

Is there a way to have a some kind of indicator when viewing a forum page that marks which threads I’ve posted in? It was my primary method for identifying which game threads were mine. It’s quite cumbersome for my old eyes to try and read through all of the game descriptions for my name or the right team game thread. On the old site I’d simply scan for that icon denoting I had posted in it, and it had to be my game in the forums.

Thanks again for all the hard work! I know what seem like simple suggestions often involve a lot of coding behind the scenes.

-Whack

• '19 '17 '16

Hi whack,
    The bell icon in the top right is what you are looking for.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Whackamatt @simon33

You have 3 options:

• The bell
    • The “Replies” icon in the navbar (similar to the bell)
    • The “Watched” eye icon in the navbar (this will show everything whether it’s unread or not)
  • '20 '18 '17 '15

• Woo! Thanks!

• @Whackamatt There’s a forth option now: click the game controller to get a list of game topics that you’re watching.

• I am getting more and more the hang of it.
    Just saw that you can prompt overview the League standings of this season without opening an extra Link.
    Nice!

Also the Navygation gets more and more smoother DJ.

Outstanding!!👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Its obviously a ton of work, work we lawyers can’t do. We can rules-lawyer, however.

Also, we can support the site, which I just did–call wikipedia–all the money I wasn’t going to give them is going to support your worthy efforts

• Looks amazing though! I can see lots of work.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m