New TripleA with New Forums: "User does not exist" error

• Installed latest version of tripleA as per this thread: https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/32464/triplea-new-stable-release-working-with-the-forum.

Tried running TripleA play by forum with correct topic ID, but get error when trying to post game summary or making a test post:

“Failed to post game to forum. User Churchillian.Drift does not exist.”

I’ve tried it with a couple of different variants of my username - capitalized, lowercase, etc. Also tried using the email, still errors out. Error trace from “Show Details” copy-pasted below. I would be very grateful if anyone can offer any insight into what I’m doing wrong and what I should do to fix the issue.

Nov 20, 2018 9:56:15 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary
    SEVERE: Failed to post game to forum
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: User churchillian.drift doesn’t exist.
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.checkUser(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:115)
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.getUserId(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:109)
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.postTurnSummary(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:51)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.editors.ForumPosterEditor.lambda$testForum$4(ForumPosterEditor.java:143)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nov 20, 2018 9:56:27 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: User Churchillian.Drift doesn’t exist.
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.checkUser(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:115)
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.getUserId(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:109)
    at games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.postTurnSummary(AxisAndAlliesForumPoster.java:51)
    at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.editors.ForumPosterEditor.lambda$testForum$4(ForumPosterEditor.java:143)

Nov 20, 2018 9:56:30 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary

Nov 20, 2018 9:57:03 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: User churchillian.drift@gmail.com doesn’t exist.

Nov 20, 2018 9:59:01 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: User churchillian.drift@gmail.com doesn’t exist.

Nov 20, 2018 9:59:20 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary

Nov 20, 2018 9:59:37 AM games.strategy.triplea.pbem.AxisAndAlliesForumPoster postTurnSummary

• TripleA

@Churchillian-Drift My initial thought is the period in your username could be causing issues (haven’t seen many users with periods in their names). Do you mind changing your username to one without periods and try posting with that (or create a new account with a username without periods)? And it is username not email address that should be used.

The one other thing you could try for the TripleA username field is “Churchillian-Drift” (replacing the period with a dash) as it seems the forum already does that in some places so could be expecting that instead.

• @redrum You’re right - just tried using the dash instead of the period and it worked. Thanks!

• @Churchillian-Drift Cool. Glad that worked.

@Panther @djensen Please see above. I’m pretty sure the issue is on the nodeBB side and the way they handle periods in usernames. Probably want to open an issue with them and add a statement about this limitation to the PBF setup thread. If nodeBB doesn’t seem to want to fix it then we could consider having TripleA convert periods to dashes for any entered usernames.

• Thank you, @redrum, as a workaround I have added a respective information to
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/32464/triplea-new-stable-release-working-with-the-forum

(CC @djensen)

Thank you, @Churchillian-Drift, for reporting the issue.

• @redrum said in New TripleA with New Forums: "User does not exist" error:

@Churchillian-Drift Cool. Glad that worked.

@Panther @djensen Please see above. I’m pretty sure the issue is on the nodeBB side and the way they handle periods in usernames. Probably want to open an issue with them and add a statement about this limitation to the PBF setup thread. If nodeBB doesn’t seem to want to fix it then we could consider having TripleA convert periods to dashes for any entered usernames.

Period, spaces, and I’m not sure what all use will cause the issue. IIRC, NodeBB uses the normalized username for look-ups so I’m not sure how this would get fixed on the NodeBB side. Probably a good idea to convert in TripleA. Plus, you guys can turn around a fix faster than NodeBB.

• @djensen A space is problematic, indeed, as it prevents from posting, too. Though the error message appears to be different. Replacing the space by a hyphen still caused an error message but at least allowed posting in this case. The best solution appears to be to change the username in that case.

I have edited the information in https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/32464/triplea-new-stable-release-working-with-the-forum accordingly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m