• Founder TripleA Admin

I have good news, I recently did a test run of migrating from the current forum software (SMF) to the new forum software NodeBB, it was mostly successful. I messed up the attachments import so I’ll have to do another  test run. Because we have almost 300k attachments, this part took the longest. It has been a while since I’ve done a purge TripleA game files so I’ll probably do that soon.

The whole process takes about 8 hours so there will be downtime coming. I looked at the least active times on the site and it seems best to stat on a Monday or Tuesday night (Pacific Time).

All passwords will be reset. When you first arrive at the new site, you will need to do the forgot password workflow to set your password. Make sure the email in your profile is current.

The migration will happen in November. To keep the community happy, I’ll be randomly giving away prizes. It won’t be a traditional contest that you can sign up for but if I have a way to find you, then you might get free stuff. If I can’t find you on the new forum, then you might not win anything.

Why are we doing this again?

The old software is just that old. I can no longer add new features, update the software, nor easily make it responsive on mobile devices and we get a lot of mobile traffic. Google actually penalizes sites that are not mobile friendly so we’ve probably lost traffic over this. I also want something more friendly for the (hopefully) onslaught of new players coming to the A&A world because of AAZ.

What NodeBB gives us:

• Something familiar actually. TripleA uses NodeBB for their forums.
    • Mobile ready (but no app, yet)
    • Ability to respond to email notifications and have it post to the forum (won’t be ready on day 1)
    • @ mention people in posts
    • Search that works
    • Better security (because I can update the software and the database)
    • More plugins (I’m not sure which ones we’ll use yet but there are many choices)
    • PMs are an Email/Chat hybrid
    • Infinite scrolling or no infinite scrolling. There’s a setting for whichever you prefer.
    • Skins with different color schemes.

–-

You will have to be patient. After the migration, everything won’t be quite settled but you’ll be able to post, search, and play TripleA.

A few of you might lose some PMs. During the migration a few hundred of them failed to import.

• '17 '16 '15

Good Action Here : )

Just wanna say that transitioning to a new program can be a bit frustrating at first. My limited experience is when triplea changed, but it’s pretty cool once you dial in. I’m a low IQ computer type, so should be easier for most of you.

One thing I want to point out is how you can make the screen look.

The first one is the default at the triplea site.

Screenshot from 2018-10-31 21-03-10.png
    Screenshot from 2018-10-31 21-01-36.png

• @barney:

One thing I want to point out is how you can make the screen look.

The first one is the default at the triplea site.

Yes - I am using the dark skin, too. Way better for my eyes  :wink:

Of course support will be given once we migrate.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Can the dark skin be standard?  looks better.

Will be honest - NOT looking forward to this.  I think it’s going to be an apocalypse for the site traffic and community, but I’ll do my part not to let that happen and look at it with the best possible intentions.

Let’s pull the trigger and win some prizes!

• Founder TripleA Admin

The default will not be dark. It’s not friendly to newcomers nor my own eyes.  :wink:

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Gargantua:

Will be honest - NOT looking forward to this.  I think it’s going to be an apocalypse for the site traffic and community, but I’ll do my part not to let that happen and look at it with the best possible intentions.

It’s better to move it and lose a few people than to get hit with a security vulnerability and lose everything. Remember when that happened in 2005?

@djensen:

@Gargantua:

It’s better to move it and lose a few people than to get hit with a security vulnerability and lose everything. Remember when that happened in 2005?

I remember where all the bodies are buried D :)

• '18 Customizer

It sounds like a daunting task you have ahead of you. Good luck, I hope to see you on the flip side.  :lol:

• Founder TripleA Admin

I did a successful practice migration today. I actually don’t have to do much but babysit the computer. The work comes after the migration, getting everything set up to be pleasing.

Last chance for goodbyes.

• Founder TripleA Admin

So much doom and gloom. It’s going to be glorious!

In fact, I bet we’ll see more activity here due to …

• Digest emails
    • Browser notifications
    • @ mentions
  • '17 '16 '15

will the old forum still be read only ?

• Founder TripleA Admin

@barney:

will the old forum still be read only ?

Yes, for a period of time. I’m not sure how long yet. All the old posts will be migrated so it’s actually not necessary but it’ll be there just in case.

• '17 '16 '15

Ahh ok. Migration sounds sweet  :-)

• Good luck and my info is up to date!

• Founder TripleA Admin

Here’s a sneak peek: http://nodebb.axisandallies.org/

Don’t bookmark that URL, it’s going away after this weekend.

Also, don’t try to log in; email isn’t working on that setup so you won’t be able to reset your password.

• Fond memories !

• Founder TripleA Admin

The memories aren’t going away. In fact, if you look at the banner, I tried to go a little retro on the design. Back to the 2000 - 2010 look.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The sample site is back up if you want to check it out: http://nodebb.axisandallies.org

I think the future url of the forum will be either:

https://www.axisandallies.org/community/

or

https://www.axisandallies.org/forum/  (dropping the “s”)

• '18 '17 '16

Did it work? Am I here? Why is everybody’s name Room?

What would Winston Churchill do?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m