Purchase and Collect, the missed opportunity.

• What is new in this game, is that you purchase and mobilize new units in the same phase, phase 7. This is good because you save time, both in handling and thinking. In the classic way you had to calculate exactly what units you supposed to be needing after your turn, and slow thinkers would spend some time on this.

And then, in phase 8, you collect income, as always. But why, what are the rationale ? There are no strategic bombing of facilities in this game, so there are no need to sit on a lot of money. I figure a better way would be to collect income, then purchase units, and then place units. This would also put an end to the infamous dobledipping, where the same territory pay out its value several times during a turn, since every new owner can cash out the income.

My suggestion

Phase 7

Collect income, no need for money or tracking

Purchase new units

Mobilize new units

Because it save you time worth one less phase

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Agreed.

I would have also preferred that collect income/purchase/place all occurred at the start of your turn Vs. the end. That way you’re rewarded for holding territory through enemy turns rather than making quick, indefensible cash grabs.

Not sure if that’d slow the game down or speed it up, though. On the one hand there’s less money going around, but on the other hand players would be encouraged to turtle more than they already are.

• @DoManMacgee:

Agreed.

I would have also preferred that collect income/purchase/place all occurred at the start of your turn Vs. the end. That way you’re rewarded for holding territory through enemy turns rather than making quick, indefensible cash grabs.

Not sure if that’d slow the game down or speed it up, though. On the one hand there’s less money going around, but on the other hand players would be encouraged to turtle more than they already are.

I totally agree, the income/purchase/mobilize phase should be at the start of your turn. That would be the only way to surprise, or make a surprise attack, in this game. And as we all know, surprise sure was a key element in warfare. We would also avoid the mistake of mobilizing units at newly captured factories because we forgot the factory was newly captured. This happens a lot and the mob before move phase is the only secure way to do this

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Collecting income only at the start of your turn would make life interesting – game play would change considerably and turn order would carry a lot of weight.

Marsh

• @Marshmallow:

Collecting income only at the start of your turn would make life interesting – game play would change considerably and turn order would carry a lot of weight.

Marsh

….and in that case, it would be perfect to use a game like A&A Zombies to playtest this kind of changes. If it turns out to be a success, then maybe we can use it in Global too, and tournament games if it is time saving. We need to inform Smorey about this. Maybe call Larry too ?

• The entire reasoning for AnAZ is ironically a reboot, that’s the hint I took from Wizards during their meeting with the players. This version of the game they know and understand does not appeal to the hard core fans, they want it as an introduction for new players hence why the rules are so basic and easy. Hence why you spend and place back to back because they don’t want new players feeling dumb for buying something they no longer need plus I think it makes more sense when the board is so infested that your nation is locked into a defensive war.

@Caesar:

The entire reasoning for AnAZ is ironically a reboot, that’s the hint I took from Wizards during their meeting with the players. This version of the game they know and understand does not appeal to the hard core fans…

Haven’t heard this one before. Were you able to make it out to one of the Launch Events?
    Did the WOTC reps clarify whether they’d be making another entry for “hardcore” players at some point in the future?

• @DoManMacgee:

@Caesar:

The entire reasoning for AnAZ is ironically a reboot, that’s the hint I took from Wizards during their meeting with the players. This version of the game they know and understand does not appeal to the hard core fans…

Haven’t heard this one before. Were you able to make it out to one of the Launch Events?
    Did the WOTC reps clarify whether they’d be making another entry for “hardcore” players at some point in the future?

I was at Wizards when they launched it into public at that day, it was there way to get actual AnA players to talk about zombies. I asked them if they are doing any more AnA games, they refused to answer that question because they didn’t want to announce a game and then cancel it and deal with someone like me talking about it. I however did ask them to pitch two AnA games I like to see: one on Korea and another on the cold war, something like Allies vs Soviets.

@Caesar:

I however did ask them to pitch two AnA games I like to see: one on Korea and another on the cold war, something like Allies vs Soviets.

Interesting. Hope they listen to you because A&A Cold War would definitely be a way to keep a “fun factor” in A&A in a way that would probably be less divisive. I mean, who would say no to Nukes in Axis & Allies?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The “War in Vietnam” game comes with a 1973 War game with its own map, the pieces are suitable for both games.    If it ever gets finished/shipped!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@taamvan:

The “War in Vietnam” game comes with a 1973 War game with its own map, the pieces are suitable for both games.    If it ever gets finished/shipped!

Did I just hear A&A Nam 68 + Zombies? omg!

• I told them the Cold War during Cuban Crisis with US, UK, and France vs USSR and PRC is the best way to do it.

• @Caesar:

I told them the Cold War during Cuban Crisis with US, UK, and France vs USSR and PRC is the best way to do it.

Did I just hear Cold War 1962 + Zombies ? OMG !!! This is the best way, right ? In every territory you nuke, some of the casualties will turn into zombies. Just like the Hulk. At last the zombie units are justified. Zombies never had a rational place in a WWII game, because there were no logik explanation why they would pop up everywhere. But the Cold War game has. Its the nuking that turn casualties into zombies. Man, call WOTC today….

• atomic zombies? wow, they hard to kill.

zombies in WWII concept has been around for a long time now. It all stems from Hitlers interest in the occult/supernatural.

comics jumped on this way back and had a lot of fun with it.

cold war A&A could be really cool. USSR and China against UK, USA, and Japan. They would definitely need to make Europe larger than it is now and reduce Africa.

• @robert:

atomic zombies? wow, they hard to kill.

Not if we had got the Chainsaw Tanks that WOTC promised us, but as it turns out we will have to buy from Shapeways. In fact I figure it will be harder to kill Zombie Panzer divisions, like in this attached picture :

290x218_24867047_13573219_1537016493.jpg.png

• Unfortunately Zombies are straight up infantry.

• @Caesar:

Unfortunately Zombies are straight up infantry.

I have never seen a zombie with a rifle, not even a machine gun, so they cant be infantry. They are not organized, they dont do joint operations, they dont wear uniforms, based on all the zombie movies I have seen, I say they are walking dead that can walk, bite and suck brain

• Oh you mean human wave attacks that never happened in real life?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m