• Founder TripleA Admin

Does anybody have more questions about Axis & Allies & Zombies? I will be at the launch party at Wizards of the Coast tonight, Sept. 27. I can also follow up with questions after the event.

Though, before you ask your questions, be sure to read about the article about the rules: https://www.axisandallies.org/p/rules-axis-allies-zombies/

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Questions that weren’t answered previously:

Oh, and you should look into finding a way to harvest the tears and internet rage of half the users on this site into some sort of renewable energy. You’d solve the energy crisis for sure.

• @DouchemanMacgee:

Oh, and you should look into finding a way to harvest the tears and internet rage of half the users on this site into some sort of renewable energy. You’d solve the energy crisis for sure.

Funny coming from a non donor to site.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

IMO;

After AAZ, should we expect to see more Axis & Allies games in the future? Will they be serious, “zany,” or a combination?

I’d think not, the game seems comprehensive to its goals.  Its “serious”

Do you surrender your IPCs if Zombies seize your capital?

Zombies cannot take over any province with a factory or infantry camp in it, which are pre-printed on the board and cannot be bought.  So while zombies can rage in that territory, it never becomes zombie held.

I understand that the map itself is bigger than 1914. But what are the dimension of the map? The 1941 board is pretty small, which causes it to be cluttered

1914 is bigger and square.  This board seems the same size as 42.2 and has a sharp production value, more visually appealing than 1941 or 42.2

What steps (if any) were taken regarding game balance?

order of casualties requires more difficult decisionmaking and future-thinking
    purchasing cannot just rely on buying tons of men each unit has new drawbacks and advantages simply because infantry changed (and tanks are $5 but still 3/3 not 3/2)
    attacks in the mid and late game must consider the zombies in the way…its not just a relentless drive on their capital because resistance via zombies grows at each conquest
    USA income is even larger in proportion to the other powers than before because it relies on naval units, which are essentially unchanged and expensive as always

Or is this just seen as a “party game”?

It seemed balanced and fun, but not shorter than any other version, and certainly more (serious) fun than 1941, 42.2, Spring 42 etc which all have less than topline production values and a much more “critical path” playout.  The game isnt intended to be funny or a lark…

Any update about the “1939 Setup” that was alluded to in the last article https://www.axisandallies.org/p/axis-allies-zombies-questions-answered/?
    Any update on the “tablet” version of A&A that was hinted at in this rolling stone article from last year

sorry nothing to share on these sir

@SS:

@DouchemanMacgee:

I literally just bought gold membership for the year just to discredit/spite you. Not sure how long it’ll take for my badge to show up, so here’s a picture as proof (if it loads, anyway, I’m not sure if 100 posts is enough to let me upload pictures).

But please, keep derailing threads and complaining. That’s constructive behavior.

cry-more.jpg

• @DouchemanMacgee:

@SS:

@DouchemanMacgee:

I literally just bought gold membership for the year just to discredit/spite you. Not sure how long it’ll take for my badge to show up, so here’s a picture as proof (if it loads, anyway, I’m not sure if 100 posts is enough to let me upload pictures).

But please, keep derailing threads and complaining. That’s constructive behavior.

It’s not derailing threads. It’s our opinions. You opened your flap first in above post. We posted are thoughts on the game not on individual people and making comments about them and there opinion.

Hey hope you enjoy the game.

I’ll be enjoying both it and A&A Mummies, thanks.

• @djensen:

Does anybody have more questions about Axis & Allies & Zombies? I will be at the launch party at Wizards of the Coast tonight, Sept. 27.
    (…)

Say hello from thrasher :)
    Some older folks there might (just, might) remember my website from late 1990s…

On topic:

Any more info on the cards?
    Different categories?
    Are all territories covered?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The cards all have 2 sections, first one where you do something that affects you, then one that affects the placement or movement of zombies.

Not all cards are connected a specific territory or tech, many times there is a choice of what to do, or a random roll.

All the neutral territories are on the cards.  These stay neutral and out of the game until the card(s) connected to them appear–at that point zombies appear in Ireland for example, and Ireland becomes a 1 value territory until the end of the game that anyone can capture.

Some of the territories that are part of the 5 empires at game start are named on the cards, but I dont think all of them are.  Zombies can appear on places like hawaii, but if there are existing units on that zone, at some point a fight will commence (usu on the owners turn).  They can appear whenever a card is drawn, but im not certain that starts an immediate fight…the zombies attack on certain turns and situations usually during the player turn where they cohabit (zombies in UK terr. fight UK on UK turn, but also attack both attacker and defender during any combat).

, the game start and interaction of these cards is what “zombifies” the game as it progresses.  At the setup, there are no zombies and the game would appear much as any game of AxA (setup is pre-stated, no zombies on board to start, neutrals are not in play).

• @taamvan:

After AAZ, should we expect to see more Axis & Allies games in the future? Will they be serious, “zany,” or a combination?

Getting an answer from WotC on this question, or perhaps on a reformulated version of it, would be greatly appreciated because AAZ has generated a lot of angst and controvery within the A&A community.  Some of that angst and controversy hasn’t been about the AAZ game itself but about what (if anything) its arrival means for the long-term direction of the A&A franchise as a whole.  If WotC does definitely plan to introduce more such games in the future, I doubt they’d be willing to say so outright.  If, however, they see this game as being a one-off anomaly, I think much good would be done by WotC reassuring the community about this concern.  An announcement that WotC plans to launch some new conventional A&A games, or upgrade/revise the existing ones, would be even more welcome.  And even an honest “we don’t have any specific plans yet one way or the other” would provide a bit of reassurance that A&A isn’t about to go off on a major tangent.

• I agree with CWO Marc on this.
    Personally I think AAZ is a kind of… special one.
    I cannot see many of these games coming up.

Although a SF-like Axis and Alllies games might be nice: German superweapons, Japanese secret bases, German base on Antarctica, some space weapons…

• Founder TripleA Admin

An announcement that WotC plans to launch some new conventional A&A games, or upgrade/revise the existing ones, would be even more welcome.  And even an honest “we don’t have any specific plans yet one way or the other” would provide a bit of reassurance that A&A isn’t about to go off on a major tangent.

I can try to get an answer to this but based on the stories on how this game came to be, it’s a one off. We’re not likely to see Axis & Allies & Dragons. As for more A&A in general, I think you hit the nail on the head, no current (public) plans. If AAZ is a success, more A&A is certainly guaranteed. But this is all my speculation so I’ll get some sort of answer.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Also, now that I have a copy, I can answer questions about the game, pieces, board, etc.

The size of the board is roughly the size of 1941 but it has more territories and sea zones.

• What happened to the Chainsaw Tanks ?

It would have been a cool piece, better than 3 different zombie sculpts

CWO Mark sums up my feelings on this more-or-less.

I’ve been willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt and defend it because I’m confident that this is a one-time cash-grab that likely won’t become the norm. However, if WOTC continues down the road of “out-there” spin-offs I’ll gladly pick up my pitchfork, admit I was wrong to give WOTC that benefit-of-the-doubt and cry foul.

But like I said, I’m confident that due to the genuine concerns/anger people have displayed over this over the last several months (someone at Wizards probably has the PR job of gauging fan interest in their products, I would hope) WOTC won’t try this again unless the sales are astronomically high (which they probably won’t be, given how niche A&A and wargaming in general are). I’ve been wrong before, though…

• '18 '17

I asked the staff last night about:

a.) future versions of A&A (the answer was “I couldn’t say, even if I knew”)

b.) any intention of making a zombie mod for other versions of A&A, like Global? (the answer was not at the moment, but if AAZ is a big success, that may change).

• @Narvik:

What happened to the Chainsaw Tanks ?

It would have been a cool piece, better than 3 different zombie sculpts

The Chainsaw tanks are in the game - it’s just that Chainsaw tanks are a technology that you research. There is no Chainsaw tank sculpt and I suspect there never was going to be a piece of plastic called the “Chainsaw Tank” - from Hasbro/WotC/AH. Mark my words, though - there will be purchasable Chainsaw tanks from Shapeways from at least one seller there before the end of 2018. By 4th of July, 2019, at the latest.

Time will tell.

-Midnight_Reaper

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m