New inside the box video for this game

• Hey guys, I just noticed an inside the box/unboxing video for AAZ by WizardsPlayNetwork

Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/X1gCxQyXiLE

See what you guys think.

I am reserving my opinion…for now…

I do kind of like the blood splattered money tho…

• sounding better the closer we get to Oct. 31.

I’ll probably put it on my Christmas list to give the family something to buy me.

I’d like to know more about how it ports to 1942.

• Regarding the cards deck:

AAZ: 60

I figured out that if you add up all territories including neutrals but excluding capitals you get somewhere near 60.

AA1942_2+Z: 86

As far as I know Axis and Allies 1942 Second Edition does not have 86 territories at all.
    Maybe some ‘general’ cards like ‘remove a unit in an area of your choice’?
    I refer to the top half of the card here.

AAZ itself might also include cards like that (so not related to a specific area).

Also: any chance some cards will apply to sea zones? And thus also naval units?
    Just curious.

EDIT: Just added the sentence: “I refer to the top half of the card here.”

• '21 '20 '18 '17

only the tech changes what happens on the water the water game is very similar to 42.2

only the “neutral” terr. need to be on the cards, the neutral territories are brought into the game by being overrun with zombies and there are probably 10 of them?  There are few enough that an “irish zombie rebellion” card could be in that deck twice.

• I’ve Been Lurking on this forum for years and I just made an account today to finally say something about this absolute fever dream of a game. I own, have played, and finished games of 1914, 1941, 1942, Anniversary Edition, and Global.  My friends and I have dedicated countless hours to these different versions of A&A and have something positive that we love about every edition. Its such a special and grand war game that really, most anyone can play with a solid sit down of the rules. We are FANS, WE LOVE IT, and we CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF IT! That being said, not a single person in my friend group is excited for this game. No one wants to buy it, and the more we learn about it, the worse the feeling about it gets. Even if the game turns out to be good, the decisions that WOTC made have only alienated fans and left the question of who this game is actually for. We are collage students who grew up with zombie games and movies and even we don’t want it under the A&A name. My friends and I can’t actually see kids in or below high school seeking it out either. The only thing I can think of is dads trying to get their kids into it, but that seems pretty niche. Perhaps me and my friends are too cynical, but I’ll secretly buy the game behind their backs because I LOVE this franchise. I’ll find some one to play it with, I just hope that if its bad, my purchase doesn’t make WOTC think they’re doing something right. Also that distributor video was cursed.

TLDR: My friends and I who hardcore love this franchise don’t know who this game is for and I have to buy it behind their backs due to strong opinions against the game. I’m worried that if I give it a chance and it turns out bad, I’ll have sent WOTC a message that what they’re doing is good. We are torn between supporting our beloved franchise and putting up with what ever this “thing” is.

• @Dropleaf:

My friends and I who hardcore love this franchise don’t know who this game is for and I have to buy it behind their backs due to strong opinions against the game. I’m worried that if I give it a chance and it turns out bad, I’ll have sent WOTC a message that what they’re doing is good. We are torn between supporting our beloved franchise and putting up with what ever this “thing” is.

You and your friends are clearly dedicated A&A players who hold the game in high regard, and I can understand your mixed feelings about the AAZ game.  For whatever it’s worth, here are a few potentially helpful things to keep in mind as you debate whether or not to buy the new game.

On the point you raise in your last paragraph…

My friends and I who hardcore love this franchise don’t know who this game is for and I have to buy it behind their backs due to strong opinions against the game. I’m worried that if I give it a chance and it turns out bad, I’ll have sent WOTC a message that what they’re doing is good. We are torn between supporting our beloved franchise and putting up with what ever this “thing” is.

…remember that your support of the franchise doesn’t hinge on the single issue of whether or not you buy AAZ.  You’re already supporting the franchise by buying the A&A games that appeal to you and by playing them and by discussing on forums like this one, and those things won’t change regardless of what your decision about AAZ end up being.

I understand why you’re concerned that buying AAZ would send a signal to WOTC that they’re doing something right, but I would argue that this isn’t necessarily as big a concern as it seems to be.  The concern assumes that WOTC is what economists call a “rational agent”, which can be defined as “an agent that has clear preferences, models uncertainty via expected values of variables or functions of variables, and always chooses to perform the action with the optimal expected outcome for itself from among all feasible actions.”  Some economic theorists assume that businesses and consumers and investors are rational agents who act according to logic rather than emotion and who always strive to make the smartest possible decisions.  On the surface, it’s a reasonable-sounding assumption…but in reality, businesses and consumers and investors are motivated by a multitude of factors (such as emotion, delusion, greed and unrealistic optimism) rather than just by logic, and they can end up doing spectacularly dumb and self-damaging things.  And even decisions which are motivated largely by logic can turn out to be faulty because logic isn’t the same thing as sound judgment and because a decision may be based on information that turns out to be incorrect.  The decision to create the Ford Edsel was a thoroughly planned one, but the car still ended up being a huge failure for a whole bunch of reasons; some involved bad timing, and some involved company executives working on the basis of personal preferences and assumptions whose validity was never critically examined.

My point in all of this is that we don’t really know what WOTC’s corporate rationale for AAZ was, so it’s hard to guess what conclusions (if any) WOTC will draw from its eventual sales figures (whatever they end up being).  At one extreme, it’s possible that AAZ accurately reflects a unified and planned vision for A&A by WOTC as a whole; at the other extreme, it’s possible that WOTC itself views AAZ as a maverick project, perhaps one that was pushed forward by a specific group within WOTC rather than originating at the top of the company.  (This may not be a completely parallel situation, but I’m reminded of the fact that one of the biggest turkeys in the Star Trek movie franchise, Star Trek V, was apparently a project driven by William Shater, who developed the story and directed the film as well as starring in it.)

To return to my earlier point: if companies were rational agents, they would always “give the people what they want,” or at least give the people what companies think they want.  If that were true, WOTC’s output of A&A games would always have been strongly driven by the wishes which the A&A community – which is an active an vocal one-- have expressed over the years.  I’m not aware of the A&A community ever having expressed the desire of an A&A zombie game, so I doubt that WOTC even thinks that the community wants it; it’s perhaps either something that WOTC would like the community to want, or a pet project from somewhere within the company.

• I have to apologize… a couple of years ago, I was really drunk and had just watched a zombie movie… in my drunken stupor, I e-mailed WotC and said "you know what would be really cool? An A&A game with ZOMBIES!

-Signed… the A&A fanbase "

• hmmm… okay then, just hang on a minute while I heat up this tar and dig out my stash of feathers.

• I hope the Vann Damm formulas were used in this game. 36464^_%#88/+*^^^

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

I heard if you play this game Larry Harris himself will come to your house and beat you up for daring to play a game with zombies in it.

• If you play AAZ at 3am, Larry Harris appears at the foot of your bed as a sleep paralysis demon.

• I was at a crafts store and saw little plastic Hippos for about 35 cents each, should i make Axis $ Allies + Hippopotamus?

I prefer Axis and Allies with Death Chicken

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I used to be afraid of new things too, simply because they are new.  I had a friend who opened a copy of Ticket To Ride and said “well i read the rules, this is lame, so…bascially meh”.

Do I think Ticket to Ride is the best game in history?  No.  It is the most fun, engaging type of game that I always want to play? No.

Having said that, I’d play right now.  As a game group leader, I often have to play games that other people would prefer.  I’ve run game clubs for RPG, TTWG, eurogames, minigames, Warhammer 40K, etc.  In general, the group members prefer not to play my own favorite type of game (tabletop wargames)–they are universal in dismissing them as too complex, too slow moving, too great a learning curve, and too long and overall very boring.

To sum up, it seems easier to be closed minded and focused on your abstract perceptions of something you’ve never seen …in reality, the easier path is to overcome those preconceptions and sit down and play it and have fun

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m