• @Ichabod:

Stating this as more of a game test than a challenge.

Next game Weddingsinger that I’m axis against you (could be a non-league game), you can have 18 IPCs (6 infantry for Russia, league placement rules).

I think Germany will stack Belarus on G2, occupy Leningrad on G3, and then build on Leningrad G4 (my usual Barbarossa route).

However, if you also simultaneously send over lots of US transports and enough fleet to protect…start doing landings, than Germany might run into trouble when deep into Russia or lose key positions like Normandy / Norway.

I’m always game for some theory testing games, league or not.

Though I suspect you misspoke and meant stack Baltic States on G2.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I think Germany will stack Belarus on G2, occupy Leningrad on G3, and then build on Leningrad G4 (my usual Barbarossa route).

However, if you also simultaneously send over lots of US transports and enough fleet to protect…start doing landings, than Germany might run into trouble when deep into Russia or lose key positions like Normandy / Norway.

Fwiw, I agree with your analysis…and my point is that a US foothold in Normandy and Norway isn’t enough compensation for a runaway Italy and Japan. Normandy, Norway, and the iron ore NO are a regional swing of 15 IPCs (+5 for USA, -10 for Germany). If you figure that having a strong US force in northern Atlantic puts pressure on Germany to buy more infantry for the Western front in ways that cost Germany progress in the east, you can give Germany another -10 IPCs, for a total swing of 25 IPCs.

Meanwhile, Italy owns the Med, is collecting New Roman Empire, and is not getting convoyed – that right there is a swing of +20 IPCs for Italy and probably about -2 IPCs for Allies. Japan takes and holds the money islands, which is +19 IPCs for Japan and -14 IPCs for Allies, even without counting New Guinea. So the Axis are down 25 IPCs for Germany, but they’re up about 55 IPCs for Italy and Japan relative to where they would be if you bid a pair of British subs in the Med and some infantry for Yunnan and New Guinea.

Taamvan, I think your proposed “standard bid” would get you an interesting historical simulation, but it wouldn’t make for very exciting gameplay…by protecting Moscow, reducing the German income, and reducing the German ability to bomb out the Russian income, you make it nearly impossible for Germany to conquer or even neutralize Russia, even if Germany focuses 100% on Barbarossa. Without the possibility of a dead-or-crippled Russia, I think Global loses most of its spark. The UK can afford to surrender Cairo and stockpile infantry in London, Persia, Iraq, and South Africa. The USA can put 100% of its assets into the Pacific and grind Japan down. Meanwhile, Russia casually shrugs off German assaults, holds Moscow + Archangel + Stalingrad, and makes almost the same trades every turn until Tokyo falls on turn 9 or 10.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Argo,

USA KJF Japan 100% is the only way I play at this point, so variety is already lost to the general imbalance.

I think that there is some “standard bid” that could be given to Russia to counteract what a blowout that side of the war is, every game.  6 units actually seem like too little to counteract the overwhelming force that the Axis can bring, especially all 3.

The money doesn’t truly flop until later in the game–we’re getting incomes for 1 Axis of 80+ and once that flop happens, the game is over.  My proposal reduces it some at first, and more later, so its not just a money grab for those $5 bonuses.

Russia is simply so weak against a dedicated Axis crush that it alone is what is distorting the bids above 40-50, my proposal is to focus the tweak on the point of greatest imbalance.  I don’t think that even the 28 bid would do much, if anything, to increase Russia’s survival, which is why I proposed the other two ideas.

Russia is simply so weak against a dedicated Axis crush that it alone is what is distorting the bids above 40-50, my proposal is to focus the tweak on the point of greatest imbalance.  I don’t think that even the 28 bid would do much, if anything, to increase Russia’s survival, which is why I proposed the other two ideas.

Sound logic, Taamvan, and I take your point – if Germany, Italy, and Japan all focus on killing Russia, then Russia will die, even with $28 of extra units.

I guess I’m confused because I don’t see why that’s a problem. On the European board, killing Russia alone can’t get you victory without either London or Cairo – and if Germany and Italy team up for a Russia crush, then nobody is left to take London or Cairo in the early game. You can get to Cairo by driving south from Moscow through the Caucasus to Persia, Iraq, and Jordan – but it’s a long trip, and I think it’s challenging to get from Moscow to Cairo before Tokyo falls.

It might be interesting to see where our assumptions or predictions are actually different. I assume that with just 2 extra British subs in the Med, the UK can shut down Italy hard in 90% of games…skip the scramble out of London on G1, hit Taranto and Malta hard on UK1, use UK1 build on 2 inf, 1 ftr for London and 1 minor factory in Egypt, and then build 3 subs per turn in the Egypt factory on turn 2 and turn 3, and, if needed, turn 4. Sink what remains of the Italian fleet on turn 2, send a modest American fleet (e.g. 2 transports + 1 carrier group) to secure Gibraltar with infantry, and the Italian Mediterranean economy gets convoyed into non-existence before it ever gets rolling.

If you have a bid of 40 IPCs, that leaves 28 IPCs for the Pacific – 2 inf + 2 art for China, 1 inf for New Guinea, and 1 art + 1 tank for Siberia means that China will never lose the Burma Road, ANZAC will always have a healthy economy, and India will never be in danger of falling unless Japan wants to trade Manchuria and Shanghai and Korea for it. By turn 6 or so, the Japanese main battle fleet has been crushed, USA is earning 80 IPCs that can go 100% to Pacific, ANZAC is at 20 IPCs, UK Pacific is at 20 IPCs, China is at 15 IPCs – so you’re pulling in 135 Allied IPCs just for the Pacific against, at most, 40 IPCs for Japan. The USA starts building nothing but loaded transports; the other Pacific Allies finish wiping out Japan’s economy, and by turn 9 or so, the loaded transports (with air support from the carriers) sack Tokyo because Japan isn’t even earning enough money to max-place infantry in Tokyo.

Meanwhile, Italy is earning maybe 10 IPCs dripping wet, mostly from Ukraine, Bulgaria, etc., so they can send a couple of mechanized infantry per turn clockwise through the Caucasus, but it’s not enough to can-open against a serious British blocking force, so Germany is usually only advancing one space per turn. A very aggressive timetable might put them in Moscow on turn 5, Stalingrad on turn 6, northwest Persia on turn 7, Iraq on turn 8, Jordan on turn 9, and Cairo on turn 10. So you’ve got a race. Japan might be able to hold on turn 9, so a perfect German game and an excellent Japanese defense can still lead to an Axis win, but it’s very unlikely; usually the Allies will win that race.

What am I missing?

• For those who prefer using the bid to help UK, I’m going with…

transport in S. Africa - gives you two more infantry on turn 1, so its possible to hit Iraq, Ethiopia, and Tobruk on UK1
    sub in sz 91 - can hit Malta ships or go North if Germany is going fleet.  If you use it on Malta, your cruiser can go north or use the Gibraltor fighter for Taranto and the UK tactical to hit Tobruk
    art in Alexandria - means you don’t need a transport to kill Tobruk.

Now UK has 3 transports in the Indian ocean and 3 fighters in London (if you don’t scramble on G1).  Another sub in sz 98 would let you keep another London fighter, too, or free up Gibraltor’s fighter again.

• '19 '17 '16

Besides the Scottish fighter/SZ98 sub, the only other strong bid I can think of is two more fighters reaching Yunnan by J1, perhaps with another inf/art. Slows Japan’s advance quite significantly.

• @simon33:

Besides the Scottish fighter/SZ98 sub, the only other strong bid I can think of is two more fighters reaching Yunnan by J1, perhaps with another inf/art. Slows Japan’s advance quite significantly.

Russians?

Or could we spend 20 ipcs on Chinese units like artillery and a fighter?

Maybe one of these games I’ll buy Russia 5 artillery or 3 tanks, just to see what happens.

• '19 '17 '16

At least one has to be a Russian. A lot of players will allow another flying tiger but I’m unsure if this is a good thing for the allies.

• @simon33:

At least one has to be a Russian. A lot of players will allow another flying tiger but I’m unsure if this is a good thing for the allies.

So, as I think about this… is it best to give the bid units to ONE power with an immediate chance at effect?

The single biggest …er… victim, I guess, is usually Russia getting steamrolled by Germany.  The other tends to be China/UKPac

Most players give to the UK, but to what effect?  They shut down Italy quickly and then… Moscow still falls.

Either power can go nuts if the U.S. doesn’t get involved, so maybe giving to Russia or China/UKPac is the answer.  You get to slow down the Axis on your side of the board, even if its just one or two rounds while the U.S. can devote itself to the other side of the board for 3 rounds or so.

Russia can gather 5 art in Belarus its 1st turn.  China can make use of 4 artillery.  UKPac would benefit from an extra transport if your opponent doesn’t do a J1 (if they do, maybe something odd like extra inf at Yunnan, Philippines, etc that would gobble up some of the precious early Japanese troops would be a big benefit).

Otherwise, something to gut the German airforce early… extra UK fighter, destroyer, etc up by London.

• '19 '17 '16

I guess giving to UK increases the probability of Taranto succeeding from about 85% to well into the 90s.

If I had a 30 bid, I’d do 3 fighters: Scotland, Moscow, Volgograd.

The only real danger with the Yunnan stack is losing India anyway via the naval route. If that happens, normally China is pretty purple rather than yellow but it can’t really last.

• I try to have bids that amplify the TUV changes during turn 1.  There is no point in worrying about the affects during Turns 3+ since you could just change your distribution of spending to accomplish those goals.

Priority 1: sub in Med to help in Taranto (great benefit for 6 bucks)
    Priority 2: fighter in Scotland (makes it very difficult to do SZ 110 and SZ111 attacks without risking failure)
    Priority 3: extra infantry in Yunnan (reduces forces left in territory after initial attack, allowing you counter with fewer Chinese infantry)
    Priority 4: extra UK units in Africa to easily control the land by the end of UK2

After that, there are many options that have similar amplification factors, such as:
    5) 1 art in Siberia or China to tie up multiple Japanese land units
    6) extra UK sub or destroyer in Atlantic to guard fleet during G1 attacks
    7) extra transport in Pacific to grab more money during first round
    8) extra fighter in London to protect fleet, allow counterattack in UK1, and reduce London infantry purchases on UK1

From League play, I feel that a bid of approximately 40 is required to balance the game.  That should have an impact of at least an additional 40 TUV swing during the first couple rounds of play.  Just keeping one of the Atlantic fleet alive is a relatively large benefit.

• '17

@weddingsinger:

@simon33:

So, as I think about this… is it best to give the bid units to ONE power with an immediate chance at effect?Â

If the bid was 23: 
    Yunnan stack is very viable. 2 fighters go to Russia, and 1 infantry goes to China. Before J1, there could 3 fighters, 1 tac. bomber and 5 infantry in Yunnan. Most players would not attack Yunnan on turn 1. That automatically creates a problem that Japan has to negotiate.

Or if the bid was 20: A Yunnan stack is still viable. The bid is going to one country with an immediate effect.

Russia just has to remember to declare war on Japan in order to fly their planes to Yunnan.

The problem with this of course is that now Russia’s air force is out of position…which causes other issues for a turn or 2 against Germany.

• '17

@Arthur:

From League play, I feel that a bid of approximately 40 is required to balance the game.  That should have an impact of at least an additional 40 TUV swing during the first couple rounds of play.  Just keeping one of the Atlantic fleet alive is a relatively large benefit.Â

ABH, I’ll play you with a bid of 40. It could be a league game or just for fun. Your choice for that. I learn more from players with your level of experience. I have 4 league games going on right now…I’d need to finish one up before starting another. So, maybe I PM you in about two weeks?

• '19 '17 '16

Abh, there is no amount of bid that you would do a yunnan stack?

I think it’s a real problem for the axis.

• depening on the bidrules, here is an idea,
    1 uk inf in london
    1 french inf in london
    1 UK ftr in scotland
    1 uk mech in northern ireland
    1 uk sub in med
    that is a total of 25

you can build an mIC in egypt + 5 inf in uk1 and have more units available to defend london than in a non-bid game.
    This would lock down africa and allow uk to build the mIC in Iran on UK2, and in Iraq on UK3. UK would be pumping out units to southern russia much quicker than in regular games. I would guess UK would have about 10 more units in southern russia bu tunr 4 than in a regular game.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Kreuzfeld:

1 uk mech in northern ireland

Northern Ireland is not a separate territory here - it’s one with Scotland.

Also if you want a factory in Egypt, you can usually just bid the factory.

12 for Egypt factory
    6 for med sub
    7 for S Africa transport
    =25 total.

Transport frees you to take Persia uk1 while still crushing Ethiopia, sub let’s you do taranto while still scrambling vs. Germans, and factory lets you hold Egypt while still defending against sea lion (1st turn buy can be 7 inf for London + 2 inf for Cairo).

• '21 '20 '18 '17

you cant place the bid where there are no units, or anything other than units.  That’s the tournament version of bidding, obv you can HR anything as you like.

• For a bid of 20, I’d say 2 British tanks in Egypt. It would make Tobruk a definite victory, and would also make defending Cairo potentially easier. I’d also include an extra destroyer to help with Taranto.

Alternatively, 2 extra fighters in London would help reduce the chances of Sealion.

I’ve never understood why people get so excited about attacking Tobruk. It’s worth 0 IPCs, you’re not destroying any enemy planes, the units in Tobruk aren’t immediately threatening to attack anything except Alexandria (which is also worth 0 IPCs), and in general if you can kill the Italian ships (and you can) then the Italian units in north Africa will be stuck there doing nothing important for the entire game. You can go the entire game without ever actually needing to kill those units. I don’t understand why people would want to kill them on turn 1, let alone why people would want to place a bid with the idea of killing them.

I suspect people just like recreating the Second Battle of El Alamein, or they feel itchy about having enemy units near what they see as “their” turf. I really can’t see any strategic purpose.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m