• Hey everyone, I recently bought A&A Europe and I am looking at buying another A&A game, would you say that Pacific is a good buy? I have gotten mixed reviews and was split between Europe and Pacific before I got Europe. So is Pacific worth it, or should I got with another? (Besides Europe I have Revised and D-Day)

• Pacific is better than Europe in many ways. its a must buy if you like AAE.

• Thanks for the advice, I just ordered Pacific, looks like some good fun!

• i wasn’t a big fan of ether. both seamed to favor the allies too much and although some cool rules i feel Japan was far to limited in victory conditions. the only way i ever won with Japan was not by conquest but by getting my economic victory via points and that was close… even after i had played a few games and was teaching some one there first game i only won by the margen of 1 turn.
    although as an avid player (atleast as much as i can) it is worth buying the game for 2 reasons. Red Japan peaces (i love these) and the navy markers. again some cool new rules like air fields and ports but still not much in the line of a fun game IMO for Japan when US mobelizes after just a few turns.

• Actually Pervavita… once you “optimize” the Japanese with the India Crush strat it becomes exactly the opposite situation. I won’t give spoilers for those who are still trying out many different things, but there has been much written on the India Crush at the Days of Infamy (A&A Pacific) site. ~ZP

• I like Pacific more than Europe. The convoy routes and centers aspect and the harbors air bases make it a lot of fun to me. Haven’t had a chance to play in a while though. I disagree that it is an ‘all allies’ game along with Zero Pilot.

And the set is aesthetically pleasing with the Red Japan pieces.

• Well, I ordered the game from a fairly fast company (Board Games Superstore) and I usually receive it in 2 Business Days, so I would expect it either today or tomorrow. I like the idea of the aesthetically pleasing red Japan pieces. Can’t wait to play it!

• read the Saburo Sakai reports on this game. He is the master of AAP. You will find them on the front page under strategy

• @frimmel:

And the set is aesthetically pleasing with the Red Japan pieces.

…not anymore they are !

I just bought a new copy of all the A&A games, I’m a collector, and the Japanese units are burnt orange as in Revised ed. And the UK units are tan as in Revised. But now the chinese units, in russian molds, are red. …or more like pink.

In fact, all A&A games have got new pieces in a standard colour scheme. All german pieces are now Revised black, all russian pieces are MB brown, all UK pieces are in new tan, all Japanese in Revised burnt orange and all US in Revised olive green.

Also the map, rulebook and the box are in second print. All boxes from all the A&A games are now in same size. The Europe and Pacific boxes used to be bigger than the Revised, D-day, BotB and Guad boxes.

• can you send a picture of these soviet units in MB brown?

I have never seen them in such a color. I even paint my revised sets that color because that was perfect.

• You ask too much, Hun…

…better wait to octobre and buy Ann.ed…

…yeah you should in fact buy 4 copies…

…then you got cruisers, blockhouses, halftracks and all sort off stuff in correct colours…

…then ditch the old units…

…and use the new units in all the old games too, Hun…

…now you gimme an applaud, Hun

• @Adlertag:

In fact, all A&A games have got new pieces in a standard colour scheme. All german pieces are now Revised black, all russian pieces are MB brown, all UK pieces are in new tan, all Japanese in Revised burnt orange and all US in Revised olive green.

a standard would be great

I bought my 1st revised box about 2 years ago and 2nd box about a year ago
    (I like to avoid using chips)

Russia, Japan and US were mariginally different
    Germany became darker
    UK went from tan to pink!

• Yaaaaay! Pink! This must hurt the eyes  :oops:

• …just buy the f#&!¤? game and stop being so cheap

• I just got the game today and I got red Japanese Infantry and brown Japanese ships, planes, and artillery. Its the same color as in A&AG.

• @Tvaryen:

I just got the game today and I got red Japanese Infantry and brown Japanese ships, planes, and artillery. Its the same color as in A&AG.

Looks like you got a mix of the original color infantry, which was red, with the newer colored stuff.  Cannot say that I am that impressed with their quality control.  But then, it is China.  Hopefully, the pieces are still non-toxic.

• We have a store selling a copy of Pacific for $30.  I was thinking of waiting for AA50 but my son would like to get AAP now.  What do y’all think?  We have AAR and AAG now.  I would like to get the new pieces from AA50.  Also, I paint ours and they look nice.  I even use skin tone for faces and hands, brown for rifles and boots, silver for jap bayonettes, and navy grey for all ship hulls.  A typical infantryman will have four colors, a tank of arty piece is only two colors (tracks are navy grey and rest in national colors), ships are typically three colors and planes are three or four colors.

• Well, I know that Pacific is fun. If you can only get one probably should go with the cheaper option, that you can have now.

Although you can get the rules from the AH website and I’m pretty sure the map is floating around somewhere for download, leaving getting the AAAnv and using its pieces for your homebrew Pacific.

Otherwise maybe your son should be begging his grandparents/uncles & aunts/neighbors for the chance to do some chores for some loot. Should be able to come up with $30 pretty easy with all the leaves on the ground, help getting the Christmas lights up, putting away the lawn furniture, stacking fire wood et al about now.

• Frimmel,

Man, you’re tough.  I’m gonna be painting pieces till I’m an old man if this keeps up.  I am surprised at the high ratings AAP is getting.  How could  that many people be wrong?  Never mind, this is an election year.  :-D

• @dinosaur:

Frimmel,

Man, you’re tough.  I’m gonna be painting pieces till I’m an old man if this keeps up.  I am surprised at the high ratings AAP is getting.  How could  that many people be wrong?  Never mind, this is an election year.  :-D

Now I understand your real dilemma here.  :lol: You don’t want to have to play Pacific.  And you don’t want to paint two sets worth pieces. :lol:

I’ve always liked it but I also understand how some folks might not. But none of the games are without flaws. I just know that the first time I set up my set (with the red Japan pieces) I was hooked. Frankly I sometimes wonder if I don’t like it mostly because I think it is pretty.

I may be tough on the lad but I got the “Money doesn’t grow on trees” pretty regularly as a kid and I think as I’ve reached middle age it is finally starting to take.  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m