Help needed, it's those damn subs again!

• So I need some help with the sub-issue again.

My fleet - dest, trns, 2 subs - is getting attacked by a BB, 2 trns, a bber and two fighters. Now, the conundrum that has come across is, 1) do the subs get to fire before the attacker since there is no destroyer? 2) Do the subs get to fire again during the defensive phase? Because those two issues are confusing my current game. Any help would be great thanks.

And the instructions are also a little vague on this matter. Page 28 and 13 and 14 are close but don’t fully say, “subs get sneak shot first and then fire again as well.”

Help!

• OK, never mind, I found the answer. Sorry to clutter the boards. Apparently I asked this question some time ago… :| :oops: :? :-P :-P

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8602.0

So to answer my own question, subs DO NOT get to fire twice a round, just at the beginning.

• They would be a little too good of a purchase at the current price with those conditions.

• Well, I always thought for some reason the subs got to have a sneak attack and then a regular attack/defence shot. That’s just the way I interpreted the rule(s).

• :-D
    SUBS RULE!
    :-o

• @Crazy:

:-D
    SUBS RULE!
    :-o

Frickin subs . . .

• Official Q&A

@The:

Well, I always thought for some reason the subs got to have a sneak attack and then a regular attack/defence shot. That’s just the way I interpreted the rule(s).

Just going by the rulebook, it’s easy to interpret it that way.  Both the OOB rules and pre-2.0 LHTR refer to all units firing during the Attacking Units Fire and Defending Units Fire steps, indicating that subs would fire both then and in Opening Fire.  However the FAQ clearly states that subs fire only once during a combat round.  The wording was corrected in LHTR 2.0 to make this clear.

• Yes, but even 2.0 is somewhat vague and hard to understand. My opponent and I nearly got into a heated argument about this, especially the wording. Hopefully they clean it up in the next rules release/revision.

• Official Q&A

@The:

Yes, but even 2.0 is somewhat vague and hard to understand. My opponent and I nearly got into a heated argument about this, especially the wording. Hopefully they clean it up in the next rules release/revision.

I’m not sure what you mean by this.  The wording in the Attacking Units Fire step is now “All the units on the attacker’s side that did not fire during the Conduct Opening Fire step fire during this step.”  The wording in the Defending Units Fire step is similar.  To me, this clearly indicates that subs don’t fire in these steps, since they have already fired in the Opening Fire step.  What is it that you think is confusing?  How can we make it more clear?

• Well, I guess maybe the rules could explicitly state subs only attack once per round, not twice. That’s all I can think of to make it clearer.  :| :?

• Thanks Craig, I appreciate what you wrote out. Seeing the highlighted parts helped a whole lot. Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m