Any interest in War at Sea support for MapView

• Nothing says you can’t take off all your planes during one mission phase. Being new to this game though, I have learned that’s not a smart move … as you (Half-Track) have said and history re-affirms.

In my first full game from the current Avalon Hill Guadalcanal online campaign, I have a land based, aircraft heavy force builds with over 5 quadrons on each side. I am beginning to suspect that that is not normal and I am not as concerned about the delay of play-by-forum game due to back and forth air mission unit placement.

• BUMP

Seems to be relevant again.

To reiterate to anyone new to the tool, MapView is program that makes it easy to play board games on a virtual surface.  Each turn is tracked in a history, pieces are moved with drag and drop, and it supports things like undo/redo.  Game files are very small and can be posted to the forum for “play-by-forum”.

MapView is game-agnostic, meaning you can play any game you want, you just need a module for it.  Game modules can be created by anyone with by linking their own maps and unit images together.  Image and XML, that all there is to it.  For A&AM, we all collaberatively created and maintained the game modules, with users contributing maps and unit images to put in the modules.

I will be glad to help create/modify modules and I can host the module files.  But I don’t know this game, and I don’t have time or the skill to make maps and unit images.  But it seems several high-quality map makers are around in the Minis forum?  I saw in this thread a sample module someone put together for WAS.  If someone can evaluate it to see if it will work and report back we can go from there.

Mot

sure post it up and i will gladly play test it for you

• Are you familiar with MapView?  We used it to play dozens on play-by-form A&A Minis (land) games on here before the board got screwed up and ate all the game threads.  (Boy I’d give a dollar to be able to get those threads back from a backup of some sort).

MapView can be downloaded here: http://motcreations.com/mv_overview.html

The WAS module was in this thread…I’ll go back and find it and edit it into this post in a minute.

What I recommend is to download the AAM modules from the pinned location at the top of the AAM section of this forum to see what a finished module looks like and plays like.  I will post some game files.

The WAS module that was started is incomplete, but we can whip it intoi shape if the community thinks it will add value.

Mot

PS - Here is a site that has a WAS module:  http://www.battlevault.com/Campaigns/Guadalcanal/Guadalcanal_01.htm

I chose not to just link the download file so as to give credit to the forum member that did the initial work.

• So what do you think?  Is something like this useful?  What changes would you recommend?  How is the size of the map vs the size of the units?  I recall thinking the ship images needed to be smaller…

Mot

• Does it work on Macs?

• I’m working on some solutions for non-windows users, though you might see it on an Android or in browser first.  In the short term, I could perhaps add some image export options to make the maps at least easier to view on non-windows.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m