• Let’s say your bid is in the teens or maybe around 20 ipcs.

I’ve commonly seen 2 extra UK subs and an art in the Sudan.  Maybe something for UKPac.

Does anyone spend it all in Russia?  Starting with 5 extra inf would be a nice little bump in Germany’s road to Moscow.  Or 3 art in the Soviet Far East would freeze some Japanese assets in Manchuria.
    Or… maybe around SZ110 and sz 111 to try and cost the German’s planes?  Like another destroyer and a fighter, maybe?

I’m trying to think of a more ideal scenario or at least some creative ideasthan the Med and Africa since its possible to kick Italy’s butt without help.

• '18 '17

I think adding to the UK’s forces in the Med is less than ideal, since the game is not typically lost in that AOR for the Allies.  I think the best use would be adding forces to Russia, one way or another.  Whether you drop three artillery into the Far East for a significant threat to Japan, or simply six or seven more infantry to defend against Barbarossa, I believe you need to add to Russia’s defense.

• '14 Customizer

What version are you talking about?

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

If you’re looking to swing the east Asian theater with your bid, I think your units will be more effective in China than in Siberia – 3 extra starting Chinese artillery are a huge force multiplier and can win you near-permanent control of Yunnan and the Burma Road, which can have game changing effects in terms of tying up Japanese resources. If Japan doesn’t break out huge in the first few turns than it never will, and if Japan is forced to ferry more than one turn of infantry to Kwangsi to fight for Yunnan, then Japan’s not likely to break out huge in the first few turns.

• Always to Britain and to the Med first. They can make an immediate difference, whereas Russia can’t, until Germany invades.

• 2 fighters on Scotland  :evil:

• @V.:

2 fighters on Scotland  :evil:

Sadly, can’t, but maybe one fighter and a destroyer in sz111…

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

A better option than the DD in 111 is a sub. It uses less bid and Germany can’t force it to fight. If Germany goes after 111 with overwhelming firepower and leaves 110 alone, you get to keep the sub and you can use it to convoy disrupt Germany or send it towards the Med.

Marsh

• I know there is a thread that discusses the details of starting bids.  If anyone has a specific link I’d appreciate it.  Sounds like an interesting addition to the game.

Is it always the Allies that get bid $ or does the Axis?  Is it dependent on player experience?  Thanks.

• '17

I have never heard of Axis getting a bid in practicallly any Axis and Allies game except Revised. In Global 1940 2nd ed. the allies get a bid often. Please tell if you see Axis ever getting a bid in other games.

There is another game similar to G40 called Balanced Mod (now on version 3). I sometimes see small bids on it go to the Axis.

• I get why its nice to give the UK two subs in the Med.  It frees up the UK’s fighters, putting an end to the Sea Lion threat if things go well, which should mean the U.S. can focus on Japan.

But I was thinking 5 or 6 inf in Russia sure would slow Germany down a round or two while they build up, which would make things a lot easier.

Or maybe some Russian artillery in the Soviet Far East would change things up for Japan play?

Or like someone’s idea to put some artillery in China to make the Burma road a serious problem.

Maybe a unit in the Philippines because Japan usually can’t afford to lose guys from transports if they want to take the money islands early on.

Or another transport in the Indian ocean somewhere sure would make taking the Middle East a piece of cake for the UK on turn 1… both Iraq and Persia on UK1?  nice.  Or wiping out Tobruk and Ethiopia?

• '17

I’d be interested in thinking about the Russia bid. However, if my opponent did that I might play Germany differently. I might not go for max Moscow. I might end up just worrying about taking Russia’s economy and defending. Slowly building up for Moscow around Round 11+.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@wittmann:

Always to Britain and to the Med first. They can make an immediate difference, whereas Russia can�t, until Germany invades.

Like wittmann says, the bid should go to Britain. Why? Because you can use your extra units right away and that is much more valuable than potentially slowing Germany down one round. With the right bid to Britain you can pretty much lock up the med before italy does anything

Both Tobruk and Taranto are within reach and that makes Egypt safe

• '19 '17 '16

@Navymule:

I think adding to the UK’s forces in the Med is less than ideal, since the game is not typically lost in that AOR for the Allies.  I think the best use would be adding forces to Russia, one way or another.  Whether you drop three artillery into the Far East for a significant threat to Japan, or simply six or seven more infantry to defend against Barbarossa, I believe you need to add to Russia’s defense.

I completely disagree. The game is often won for the axis by swing south after taking Moscow and fighting the through the allies in the middle east to take Egypt for the 8th victory city. What on earth?

I’m inclined to think that a Scottish fighter and a SZ98 sub might be optimal. That way if SZ110 & SZ111 are both attacked, a full scramble would be very costly for Germany. So the Normandy landing can happen very quickly and slow down Germany because fleet has to survive. Also, it makes sea lion harder because so much fleet remains. I guess the UK1 Egypt factory becomes more viable too so maybe you can add an artillery in Sudan and do an Ethiopia crush.

• J-1 DOW on W.Allies is deadly.
    Only USSR goes before Japan in turn order.
      Invest $10 of the bid to help Pacific Allies.
        Arm the farthest , most forgotten Soviet troops in Amur.
      Put down an Art in Amur, Tank in Buryatia.
    R-1 ———>  Attack Korea! 6Inf+ Art+Tank…
      Kill 4 precious mainland Japan Infantry (among Inf, Japanese Inf are the most valuable)… kill a FTR…
    Get $3 for Moscow.
        The 6 Inf in Amur which otherwise comes into action on R-7 in Moscow… now helps muddle up Japanese and Axis set-plans.

The remaining money can go for Art in Sudan, Sub in SZ98/SZ111/SZ92  etc…

The Commissar Vanguard of the Proletariat in the East makes an impact at the outset of the game -smiles-

• There are three TT’s within reach of Korea.
    What stops Japan to clean up Korea and conquer East Russia?
    A J 1 might be off the table, but you just handed over Russia.

The starting bid should go to the Med where it makes a significant impact.
    Toranto Raid and Tobruk run can be managed simultaniously.

It does not garant an easy win for the Allies but it reduces the pressure immense and allows minor mistakes made by the Allies…

• Calcutta not falling for a J-3 India Crush … is a good trade off.

• AEV, problem is that if Bid is too Mediterranean focused, then Japan gets a free pass.
      J-1 if done correctly , piles on the Axis pressure and compounds the Allied misery … mainly by taking India out of the game by J3…stopping help to Chinese or Egypt/Middle East.
      With $10 for Far East… killing Korea… killing Mainland Japanese Inf and a FTR… forcing Japan to respond … takes some pressure off India.

If G-1 build was a Navy… then USSR has a choice to keep the 12 remaining Far East Soviets in Buryatia… (evacuate Amur)…maybe send the 3 planes to Yakut…  If Japan bring in the 6 Inf+ Art+ Mech into Amur from Manchuria… USSR threatens to wipe them out.

If Japan goes about normal J-1 DOW, and just kills Korea… and Air Power moves South… then USSR goes 2,3,4,5 - Amur, Manchuria, Jehol, Anhwe threatening Shanghai and HongKong (giving Chinese extra help) or at least… restraining the Manchurian army in Korea/Manchuria…
    Without anything to threaten from the North… The Manchurian  horde can walk to India or through China into USSR… which on J5-J6 causes major headaches for Allies.

The Soviet Far East Bid is mainly to reduce the chances of Axis Pacific win…

As far as Europe goes… use the remaining $10 Bid there … an Art in Sudan, should take care of Ethiopia… Sub in SZ 98 helps Taranto or Malta… (dep on SeaLion threat)
      Doing Ethiopia cleanse takes care of 33% problems in Africa for UK.

• '16 '15 '10

The advantage of a Med bid, with respect to the Pacific, is that if Allies can take out the Italy fleet in the first few turns, that frees up USA to go after Japan.

A Siberia bid to Russia seems suboptimal because while taking out some units in Korea might help, you’re forfeiting the Mongolia troops on the first turn.  Unless its a hardcore KJF where you’re putting tons of pressure on Japan, this could give Japan an opportunity to make some extra money in Siberia.

An extra mech on Burma is a good investment.  Extra infantry for UK Pacific and China can also be effective if used strategically.  But as bids I don’t rate them as highly as extra UK subs in 98, 91, 110 etc.  Those extra subs are great protection against round 1 dicings and make it very hard for an Italy fleet to survive.

• '19 '17 '16

@MeinHerr:

Calcutta not falling for a J-3 India Crush … is a good trade off.

Not convinced that what you propose would achieve that outcome. And you’re sure to lose the survivors of the Korea assault J1 leaving only 12 inf 2 AAA to defend Amur - assuming you don’t run units back to Moscow.

Unless you think that going Crussia is a better option for Japan that going for an India crush - then why are you making it easier for them to go that way?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m