Special first turn attack advantage for Japan?

• All Allied units defend on 1 during Japan’s first turn. It does make a considerable difference in the way the game goes if you ignore that one. :-)

• Chinese infantery still defends at normal  :-D

• @Funcioneta:

Chinese infantery still defends at normal  :-D

:oops: Good catch.

• Japan’s First Turn p.14 , user manual
    During Japan’s first turn only, Japan attacks in a normal fashion, but Allied units may defend only with a roll of 1. Exception: Any attacks made in Chinese territory are defended by rolling at full strength.

Does it mean that during the Japanese first turn, for example US Battleship has also defense 1, too? Whether it applies to the entire Japan 1st turn - for example if there are 3 attacking rounds during the 1st Japanesse turn?

• Official Q&A

Yes, anything that’s not in China, for the entire first turn.

• According to your expirience, are sides in a&a pacific balanced or Japan is little bit stronger?

• Official Q&A

Japan is stronger.  You’ll want to use the amended setup in the FAQ.  You also may eventually want to play to 24 victory points instead of 22.

• What do you recommend me for the first game:

1. to apply amended setup from FAQ or
    2. to increase Japan vp to 24

or

3. to apply Both measures?

• Official Q&A

Start with just the setup changes until you get used to playing Japan.  You may find that the Allies seem to have an advantage at first.

• Official Q&A

That would give the Allies too much of an advantage.

• @Krieghund:

That would give the Allies too much of an advantage.

Mr. Krieghund, how about to:
    1. Limit Japan`s first turn attack advantage only to Pearl Harbour zone?

Or

2. To apply Japan`s first turn attack advantage only for first dice rolling?

After several played games, including set up you told me (24vps and additional setup from FAQ), it seems to me Japan is still much stronger?

• The only balanced game I’ve ever played in AAP is when we ignored Japan’s special first turn attack. So leave that rule in the rulebook, use the corrected setup and I guess you’ll have fun with AAP.

• Official Q&A

I suspect that you haven’t yet figured out how to maximize Allied cooperation.  I’d spot the Allies 6 to 8 IPCs worth of units at startup rather than change any rules.  That way you can make adjustments later if you need to without changing the way the game plays too much.

• @Krieghund:

I suspect that you haven’t yet figured out how to maximize Allied cooperation.  I’d spot the Allies 6 to 8 IPCs worth of units at startup rather than change any rules.  That way you can make adjustments later if you need to without changing the way the game plays too much.

Maybe you’re right we`ll try to play several games more. However, according to this new setup from official site you gave me:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/axispacific

the difference is only -20 IPC points (1 transport + 1 fighter) regarding to original setup. Are you sure it could be enough together with 24 vps for Japan to balance the game?

Thanks in advance

• Official Q&A

Pretty much.  This may seem like an odd question, but you are playing with sub stalling, right?

• @Krieghund:

Pretty much.  This may seem like an odd question, but you are playing with sub stalling, right?

Mr. Krieghund, I’m afraid I do not know what is sub stalling. I have recently bought this game even though it is old.  I didn `t find anything about sub stalling in my user manual. Should I apply this rule in order to balance powers in the game, and if the answer is Yes , please tell me where to find instructions for that rule? Or could you explain me here substalling rule, please?

• Official Q&A

Attacking subs are allowed to submerge before any round of combat.  This allows them to move into a hostile sea zone and submerge immediately, without fighting at all.  This can cause problems for the victimized fleet (unable to load transports, take advantage of naval base movement, etc.).  This is called “sub stalling”.  Many players don’t like this, so they make house rules against it.  This is fine, but it changes the game balance.

• @Krieghund:

Attacking subs are allowed to submerge before any round of combat.  This allows them to move into a hostile sea zone and submerge immediately, without fighting at all.  This can cause problems for the victimized fleet (unable to load transports, take advantage of naval base movement, etc.).  This is called “sub stalling”.  Many players don’t like this, so they make house rules against it.  This is fine, but it changes the game balance.

Oh, I see. Preaty much interesting. Is this a house rule, who invents it? And what happens if a destroyer is present in that zone? Can it detects substalling or submarine is immune to it? Whether this rule holds true for Japan and the Allies or only for Allies?

• Official Q&A

@vokac:

Is this a house rule, who invents it?

This is a standard rule.  As I said, some people don’t like it, so they make a house rule that an attacking sub must survive one round of combat before submerging.

@vokac:

And what happens if a destroyer is present in that zone? Can it detects substalling or submarine is immune to it?

The presence of a destroyer makes no difference.

@vokac:

Whether this rule holds true for Japan and the Allies or only for Allies?

It applies to everyone.

• I found some Tournaments rules for A&A. (attachment in my post). Some Pacific detailes are also mentioned in it. What about BIDDING rule, what is exactly bidding for a number of I.P.C.'s and what is the sense of that rule?

Pacific tournament rules.doc

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m